The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 06:44:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nose fitting for a 2-liter bottel to airship model  (Read 962 times)
hardlec
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Solutions do not need Problems

« on: July 26, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »

Okay:  I have a supply of empty 2-liter soda bottles.  I want to cut off the little spigot and make a smooth nose for an airship model.

cutting off the "nose" on the end of a bottle, and making "slots" for the tail has proved delicate, but not impossible.  The trick is to cut the slots out first, before cutting off the spigot. 

I'm hoping someone else has done this before so I won't have to re-invent the wheel.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
Thomas MSwift
Officer
United States United States

@AdmiralSwift
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:57:21 pm »

I see one rather serious problem with your project...but it's NOT insurmountable. Soda bottles are made of polyethylene plastic...Polyethylene is Satan's own polymer. It is engineered to resist solvents...Paints and glues slip off it.
  First, DON'T cut EITHER end off. CAREFULLY drill a hole in the end opposite the neckthe same size as the inside diameter of the bottleneck, and after doing this insert a 24-inch section of one-half inch Schedule 40 PVC plumbing pipe all the way through the bottle. I'd say have about six to eight inches protruding from the bottom end. The inside of the bottleneck should be a fairly snug friction fit over the PVC pipe; if not you can sand it easily to correct this.
  Form your hemispherical nose from a styrene-foam hemisphere sized appropriately; too big beats too little in all cases. The tail cone may be done similarly with a styrene-foam cone. Cover styrofoam surfaces with spackling compound (sold at home-improvement stores), add decorative details, and paint.

"The realm between planets is filled with the luminiferous ether."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: