The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:06:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Corsetry Thread (Post A Review!)  (Read 65188 times)
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #325 on: November 27, 2013, 11:02:37 pm »

This website should help you and your sister out. Smiley

There are also some very handy resources LiveJournal and Facebook.

Corsetmakers LiveJournal Group - Less active than it used to be, but still reasonably busy and has an EXCELLENT archive (large, well-organized).

Learn How to Make Corsets Like a Pro! Facebook Group - This is where most of the regular posters from LiveJournal went. Very active, but it's difficult to find anything particular if it wasn't posted reasonably recently.

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's the Captain, Lilith Vanderstorme!

« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2013, 10:09:54 am »

I've read the descriptions or the first post of this, but i am still not a 100% sure of what I cando on this thread. would it be okay to post a link to my etsy shop when i have made more corsets for example?

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #327 on: December 09, 2013, 04:37:18 am »

Not realy this is more for reviews and help making corsets.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's the Captain, Lilith Vanderstorme!

« Reply #328 on: December 11, 2013, 01:39:03 am »

Not realy this is more for reviews and help making corsets.

okay thank you!
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #329 on: December 11, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »

apologies, I realised that I had inadvertantly posted in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 12:47:44 pm by sebastian Inkerman » Logged

MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #330 on: April 09, 2014, 03:45:09 am »

If you like the corset, maybe you can try buy cheap corset

Those aren't the same thing at all. They neither look nor function as a real corset should. Additionally, not all the photos on that site are the property of the site's management.

ETA: The corset supposedly being sold here for $8.50 USD retails here for £325.

Here's a short video on the subject:
Fake Designer corsets, how good are they?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:24:26 am by MistressMagpie » Logged
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #331 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:55 pm »

That was fun.  thanks.  I think it explains very well what a corset is supposed to do - mould the figure, emphasising the feminine bits.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #332 on: April 09, 2014, 11:43:34 pm »

It really is a colossal price difference, though.  Is there a happy medium?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2014, 04:59:10 am »

It really is a colossal price difference, though.  Is there a happy medium?

As a sweeping generalization, a decent corset will cost you at least $100 USD. The offerings of Corsets-UK/ Corset Story/ Corset Deal/ etc. (they're all selling the products from the same factory, at very similar price points) are generally sturdy, and can be had for less (especially if you buy more than one at a time), but are also relatively shapeless (Some styles more than others). They have specifically steampunk styles, and are fairly popular in these parts.

You start seeing curvy cuts in the $100-$200 dollar range. I have a Josephine by Isabella Corsetry that I quite like; it's one of very few OTR styles that are curvy enough to fit well over my hips. There is a very nice list here of makers sorted by price.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:22:35 am by MistressMagpie » Logged
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2014, 12:17:41 pm »

I looked up the list you gave and got "This webpage is not available"
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2014, 09:23:07 am »

I looked up the list you gave and got "This webpage is not available"
Ack. Sorry, formatted the link incorrectly. Try it now.
Reuna
Deck Hand
Finland Finland

« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »

Just thought i'd leave this here
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

more http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33806.0.html

That is fantastic! What a great way to show off the pocketwatch, too! I love the clasp it's hanging from. Speaking of clasps, where did you get the clasps down the front? I've been looking all over for some but all I've managed to find is some small, low-quality, too-shiny brass ones with a weird loop the hook doesn't seem to slot into well. Are they available online, do you know? Or do you have a brand-name I can try to have my fabric store order in?

I've found that kind of clasps too, but I'm kind of wondering how tough they are? To me, they don't seem to be able to handle tight lacing very well?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #337 on: June 12, 2014, 10:04:13 pm »

Having bough an underbust corset from corsets-uk.com, I must say I have been pleased with it. Certainly it does not have the craftmanship of my venerable Axfords one, but I'd say it's good value for money, especially as I bought it from their sales page - less than £40 as I remember. The material is of a decent thickness with a modesty panel at the back, and of a pretty enough design to be worn as outer wear when appropriate. It seems to be standing up to tight-lacing pretty well. Yes, it was a bit 'straight up and down' when new, a little uncomfortable initially because of that, but with some wear it's starting to take up a more curved form and thus fitting better too. I possibly should mention it is quite a short design though and stops quite high in the hips, so I cannot comment on the fitting in this area for the longer styles.

Yours,
Miranda.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #338 on: June 15, 2014, 02:48:22 am »

Thank you for the link! More of an egg-timer than an hour-glass, so I will investigate the long ones.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2014, 11:41:24 am »

Hi, I've just started making corsets and I'm using a pattern from Butterick. Is there any way to accurately judge from the pattern sizes what the finished result will be? The card mockup I've done indicates there's maybe 2 to 3 inches extra in the size from the top of the packet. (I'm learning, usually I've already cut it out of leather by now!)

Kindest regards, Raven

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2014, 02:57:22 pm »

Fabric patterns normally have finished garment sizes on either the pattern envelope or the instructions.  Take note of the seam allowance they maybe a little big for leather because they were made with thinner fabric in mind and need to be cut down.
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2014, 03:37:57 pm »

Yes, I checked the seam allowance, it was 15mm. I marked this on all the edges and worked on that line for the card mockup. Obviously the card doesn't bend like material but the whole thing, with front and back edges taped tight together, still gave a size equivalent to a size 16 Australian for a size 16 US on the pattern. It would most likely make a size 20 Aus corset when you allow for lacing and closure.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »

I have found that the sizes dont match up most of the time on most patterns. I can be anywhere from a 10 to an 18 and most of the times the measurements are the same.
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #343 on: August 26, 2014, 06:16:55 am »

Corset-Story has a Steampunk sale on that I thought worth mentioning; several Steampunk styles are starting at $50. Wish I'd seen it sooner. Cheap enough I thought I'd give you guys the heads' up.

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #344 on: February 07, 2015, 11:39:40 pm »

Sorry; should have posted this into the Trading forum instead, I think! And now I don't know how to delete this post. Sad My apologies for the accidental cross-post; just being over-enthusiastic (and a bit daft).

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:59:22 pm by Kryss LaBryn » Logged
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #345 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:57 pm »

Can I ask you guys a quick question about corsets? What types of corset would you recommend to someone who has asthma? (If any)
I had a look around on the web and asked a company who sells corsets for some advice. It was suggested to me that I stick to under-bust corsets (less pressure on my lungs, easier to get out of if i need to etc.). I wore one as part of a cosplay to comic con and my chest seemed fine all day. I was wondering whether there are any other women on here who have asthma and were corsets too and if there are do you find certain styles more comfortable than others? any advice would be helpful before I buy one for my steampunk costume.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2015, 11:49:12 pm »

Can I ask you guys a quick question about corsets? What types of corset would you recommend to someone who has asthma? (If any)
I had a look around on the web and asked a company who sells corsets for some advice. It was suggested to me that I stick to under-bust corsets (less pressure on my lungs, easier to get out of if i need to etc.). I wore one as part of a cosplay to comic con and my chest seemed fine all day. I was wondering whether there are any other women on here who have asthma and were corsets too and if there are do you find certain styles more comfortable than others? any advice would be helpful before I buy one for my steampunk costume.

I can't comment from personal experience (in tems of health issues), but I would say it would be prudent to take care. In the BBC programme 'Hidden Killers In The Victorian Home' the presenter had physiological measurements taken as she walked up an down stairs in a tight-laced corset, and it recorded her blood pressure, heart rate and breathing rate all shot up significantly.

I suppose it depends just what you want from the corset. If it is simply for appearance rather than body shaping (as some of us require; my poor ones have to be pretty robust...), what about a fashion corset? They aren't meant to be tight-laced; just a snug fit and so should not restrict breathing.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:14:59 am by Miranda.T » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #347 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:31 am »

I would realy suggest going for a custom fitted corset.  I have known singers that have no problem in one but if it is ill fitted it can cause all sorts of issues.  Including a lot of pain over time.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #348 on: August 08, 2015, 07:01:35 pm »

Thank you both you've been very helpful. Luckily I don't really need a corset for shaping (I'm only a size 4 top) so I think i'll be able to get away with a costume corset rather than a proper one. Perhaps when I have a bit more money floating around i can look into getting a custom fitted one.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #349 on: September 16, 2015, 10:28:46 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
....Have you had any negative experiences with their work? I know I wouldn't bother with a plastic-boned corset no matter who made it, and they sell rather a lot of them (most of the "fashion" corsets seem to have plastic boning); but that's because of the intrinsic unsuitability of plastic for boning in anything under the slightest stress, to my mind (it tends to bend, rather than support, and then once it's bent it stays bent forever. Found that out the hard way after a couple of bustiers I quite liked developed unfortunate kinks under the bust). But my own experiences with Corset-Story have been nothing but positive.

Also: 80% off!  Cheesy

Ah, yes, plastic boning.
Try ironing the bustier or corset (with an ironing cloth between garment an iron!)until the boning meekly returns to its original form.

My favourite ready made corset? Restyle's http://restyle.pl/product-eng-1232-Black-cotton-underbust-WIDE-HIPS-MATT-hourglass-corset.html

It accommodates my hipspring beautifully and is sublimely comfortable on my short body. I still remember the agony of a long-line corset purchase... Never again.

Would there be any interest in a corset exchange here at Brass Goggles? Or on the FB page?
A place where corset misfits could have a second opportunity to have a loving home.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: