The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 08:56:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clock Making for Novices  (Read 2483 times)
Goodbye Blue Monday
Deck Hand

It takes more than bullets to kill a Bull Moose!

« on: July 15, 2010, 07:25:53 am »

Long before I even knew that steampunk was a genre, I've been interested in clocks and their inner-workings. About a year ago, I found an old box of pocket-watch parts that belonged to my dad. I asked him about how to disassemble and fix them, as he did just that for a few years, but according to him, he's not the best source for those things.

Regardless, I'd like to learn a thing or two about pocket-watch maintenance.

I'm just not sure where to start. Would it be advisable to just purchase a cheap pocket-watch and play around with it? Anyone have experience with this?
rosalynwinters
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:13:54 pm »

check google books for completely free pdf versions of old books on the topic.
Affian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Steam.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:52:07 am »

I've been reading this one recently

Baron Nicodemus Ainsworth
ÆON
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:42:42 pm »

That's how I learned.  Check your local public library for books on watch making and repair.  There's a good online course at www.timezonewatchschool.com.  The tool kits they sell are an excellent starting place (tool wise).  The courses are geared towards wrist watches, but 90% of the logic and technique is transferable (and larger pocketwatches tend to be both easier and less complicated, although I'd stay away from the full-plate movements like the Waltham '83 until you're a bit more experienced).  You'll find that pocket watches in the 6-12 size can be had for fairly cheap, especially if you scan Ebay for movements (without cases).  If you go that route, try to get 15 or 17 jewel models; it's easier to put the plates on if the pivots are jeweled, and the price difference is usually minor.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: