The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 10:35:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blood Meridian Photo Set  (Read 522 times)
.TheKid.TheMan.TheJudge.
Swab

« on: July 08, 2010, 07:48:40 am »

Hello all,

I just wanted to get some input from more experienced Steampunk persons regarding this idea I had.

I'm a wannabe photographer and I want to do my first illustrative photo set based off of Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian". If you haven't read it (then read it, but...) it's about a character named "The Kid" who marauds around with the Glanton Gang, murdering Amerindians for profit. It's set in the 1870s, mostly in Texas, Mexico, the unsettled territories in the West.

I've always been fascinated with the Steampunk aesthetic, and I was wondering if -- despite this being a primarily Victorian style it seems -- something like adding a SP aesthetic to the photos would work? Or if there are any Western-themed Steampunk photo sets that I could glean inspiration from?

As a side, this is going to be an exciting project as I plan to build a view camera and shoot a set of daguerreotypes of the models.

Anyway, any opinions are welcome. Thanks.  Smiley
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:56:11 am »

I've always been fascinated with the Steampunk aesthetic, and I was wondering if -- despite this being a primarily Victorian style it seems -- something like adding a SP aesthetic to the photos would work? Or if there are any Western-themed Steampunk photo sets that I could glean inspiration from

Well Steampunk has it's very own western  'branch', if you like. Some call it  'Weird West'  others the more straight forward 'steam western'. Either way we have a couple of threads on here with plenty of cool photos of members  dressed up and with  lots of great ideas on the theme themselves. Have a look in the Anatomical boards.

It sounds like a col project.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
.TheKid.TheMan.TheJudge.
Swab

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:05:43 am »

Awesome. Will look into it. Thanks! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: