The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 03:06:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket Voltmeter  (Read 3270 times)
scott40k
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 06, 2010, 09:45:55 pm »

Hi,

Just thought I share my first attempt at 'improving' an object...thought this would look cool next to my Pocket watch...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First Disassemble....

Then add Electronics.....and Reassemble.....

Voila....whenever the two terminals are contacted......

Hows this for my first attempt?

Scott.

arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:16 am »

I can't help feeling that something's missing. I take it you had the voltmeter already and hacked it to light up? The "add electronics and reassemble" step has a distinct TAMO vibe so I think that's where it's going sideways on me. How did you wire it up? I'm a bit concerned about that part...you may or may not have thrown the calibration off, and you may or may not have created a scenario where it is easy to dump far too much power into the new electronics.

That aside, brilliant mod. Where'd you find the original meter anyway?

Mad repairman for the ship of the damned.

scott40k
Officer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:56:19 am »

I can't help feeling that something's missing. I take it you had the voltmeter already and hacked it to light up? The "add electronics and reassemble" step has a distinct TAMO vibe so I think that's where it's going sideways on me. How did you wire it up? I'm a bit concerned about that part...you may or may not have thrown the calibration off, and you may or may not have created a scenario where it is easy to dump far too much power into the new electronics.

That aside, brilliant mod. Where'd you find the original meter anyway?

Thanks

Firstly the Voltmeter is a non-working prop only :-( but was cheap on E-Bay....the Electronics employed is a Button cell 3v battery, one 10,000 mcd LED, and i'm using the Probes on the bottom as a switch only.....so no risk of blowing the bulb.....or worse death.....  Grin
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »

Ah, okay. I wasn't clear on that since you were talking about the contacts being connected. I quite like it as a prop.

With the 10,000 mcd LED, be aware that those are often "10 degree" pieces. It sometimes helps to spec something with less brightness and a wider FOV. You can also modify it in a number of ways to make it more diffuse. But in this case, I'd tend to leave well enough alone - from the photo you seem to already have it rigged up nicely.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:27 am »

Ah it's a shame it doesn't work, I collect these and I have recently accquired one just like that which I repaired, however your modification does have a very nice "incandescent radio valve glow" feel about it Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:22:40 pm »

Ah it's a shame it doesn't work, I collect these and I have recently accquired one just like that which I repaired, however your modification does have a very nice "incandescent radio valve glow" feel about it Smiley

Hey I collect these too, as well as ammeters, combination volt -ammeters, hydometers and pedometers.

I have a Japanese combination voltmeter-ammeter which is labelled 'dead beat' below the scale.

And a 'Yankee' brand hydrometer which is scaled 'Dead/Low/Good/Full'.

My favorite one is a very old French 'modele depose' model, the sort that came with a blank paper scale on the gauge and you had to write your own voltage in once you calibrated it.

And whoever owned it had very good caligraphy skills.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Cad Gear
Officer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »

I got on of them,picked it up in a car boot sale for £1, it works really well and I use it for checking batteries (6V and 12V)

Hi,

Just thought I share my first attempt at 'improving' an object...thought this would look cool next to my Pocket watch...

First Disassemble....

Then add Electronics.....and Reassemble.....

Voila....whenever the two terminals are contacted......

Hows this for my first attempt?

Scott.

Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:12:44 am »

I've started collecting these too.
Does anyone have a simple way of attaching these to waistcoat pockets?

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:56:52 am »

I've started collecting these too.
Does anyone have a simple way of attaching these to waistcoat pockets?

Um,

Fob chains?

That's what I use.

I need to build a nice 'rack' to display them on at home, I am looking for one of those old glass wall mounted shop display cabinetswith a mirror back.

Or an old timber medicine cabinet.
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:34:57 am »

Then I must look out for fob chains (as well as pocket watches and volt-meters) when I go to the Great Dorset Steam Fair in just over a week's time Smiley
nicromanov
Snr. Officer

look out for that !....

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:25 pm »

i obtained something similar whilst attending this years asylum ,it still works and cost me just £5 ,it is currently being used for my gcse physics classes .Smiley

"curse this infernal machine of the devil!!"
Eladrial
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »

I really like that voltmeter have just started collecting them myself but the one i have got is very heavy and in a big box Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: