The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 04:37:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: International Visitors to The Asylum  (Read 8290 times)
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 09:35:21 pm »

Which, of course, all sounds very complicated, but I am always happy to answer any questions anyone has to fathom out out rail network Wink
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 04:33:10 am »

Which, of course, all sounds very complicated, but I am always happy to answer any questions anyone has to fathom out out rail network Wink
A small addendum to Major WC's expert dissertation: you cannot usually reserve seats on 'local' trains. This is very confusing since some of these services run longer routes than some of the intercity routes on which you can reserve seats. So Helensburgh to Edinburgh is considered to be a 'local' service - no seat reservations - but takes as long as Glasgow to Carlisle on which you can get reservations as it is considered long distance!

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Fat Spider
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I'm always Casting something

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 12:33:42 am »

A quick note for anyone visiting York by car.

If you intend to visit both the Minster and the Railway Museum your best bet is to visit the Museum first, parking is more convenient and there is a road train which runs from there to the Minster and back.

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
citizen_erased
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

kojitmal
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »

Current plan is:

Daniel and partner to travel to York from Lincoln on Monday 12th by train or coach. (The Memsahib and I have to break down The Asylum on this day and would overnight at home.)

First thing on Tuesday morning we will scoot up to York to act as local guides.  We would then overnight in York. (Second night for advance party)

Wednesday morning we would drive up to Edinburgh from York.  We are contemplating a stop over at Alnwick en route for lunch and a possible visit to the Castle. 

We would then have two nights in Edinburgh. 

Travelodge have a sale on at the moment.  Whilst some travelodges  leave a little to be desired the York Central and Edinburgh Central ones are fine and perfectly located.  Two nights in York would cost just £65 and two in Edinburgh £79.  Very reasonable indeed.

The itinerary is public here to see if anyone else wants to join us.  Could be a nice way to round off The Asylum.

If everything goes according to my (currently very very basic) plan, I`ll be in Edinburgh around the same, too, as I`m planning on going to Edinburgh from Lincoln. Staying there for roughly a week.

Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: