The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:30:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam and Sand 2: Anthracite Days - Game Thread  (Read 25386 times)
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 01:56:53 am »

Sam stumbles back as the woman slams into him. He is prevented from crashing to the ground by instead crashing into the alley wall.

He looks to the woman, then her large friend, notices he has a gun drawn and she was reaching for something.
Looking desperately and in vain for an escape route, Sam shifts into a stance ready for a fight....

"Ok.... Listen...I have no idea what's happening here....I'm just a bystander... Let's not do anything rash..."

Steampunk Radio Play.
Now taking auditions.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16578.0
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 03:16:32 am »

"Ah sir do not worry we are running away from the large mountains that wish to do us harm not running to inflict it on you. In fact we are as innocent as you in the workings here.  We are humble travelers looking for work. I would suggest you come with us for now. We know for sure we are heading away from danger and that is a valuable thing for the moment is it not?"  Miri smiled she was enjoying the excitement almost as much as Pitivo now.  It had been far too long since she had human companionship.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 03:31:51 am »

"Normally I make a habit of not following strange people..." Sam looks back into the door, hearing the clank of the approaching knights. "But I think circumstances require other wise."

He starts down the alley briskly.
"Where to?"
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 03:54:03 am »

Harris was not in a good mood, first being tracked down again, then having a rather open and blatant fight in one of the main streets and now slipping through the town trying to avoid being arrested, or shot. A couple of water rations had dealt with the rest of the blood on his clothing, although his blade was going to need some proper attention and oiling sooner or later.

He'd fled into the seedier parts of the Atrim where with a few quiet words, some coins and some threats he had hoped to find out more about his attackers. But there mere mention of the scared-faced leader was enough to close lips as if their jaws where wired shut. "Be more then my life's worth to say anything Dead-Eye" was the only answer he'd gotten, the last had been the most troubling though, an old fence who was as knurled as old wood and even tougher simply said "You can kill if you like Harris but I'm not saying a word. Leas' with you I know it'll be quick, and that's more then I can say for my fate ifin I talk. Only thing I'll say ta you is get outa town."

It was obvious that he wasn't going to get anywhere, anyone mean enough to cow old Grant was someone that would buy silence from anyone. Now as the shadows lengthened into evening he was making his way carefully to the Hotel to find out more about the hire he'd taken today... 'Surely that can't have anything to do with it? I was being followed before the notice even went up... unless they wanted to make SURE I didn't take the hire... SHIT! I sure hope not or things are going to get very, VERY interesting.' Looking around he saw he was at the back of the hotel 'Time to stop lollygagging then, but I ain't taken any of the main entrances.' With that he takes one more slow, careful look around to make sure he's not being observed and starts climbing the walls aiming for a storeroom window on the top floor that he knew wasn't locked, having unlocked it during his first visit and carefully jamming the lock to make it look secure.

Once inside the storeroom he takes careful inventory of all his weapons and tools then listens at the door until he's sure no-one is in the hall, once the coast is clear he slips out and starts heading for Room 19 and some answers.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

H.P. Lovecraft

"The Call of Cthulhu."

Are you living in the real world?

Cowboy Bebop, The Movie.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 07:57:56 am »

"Well, if we are all going to the same place. I would suggest we are finding ourselves a bit of a transport, eh? No way we can outrin the mercian knights on feet and make it to the hotel."
He snuck to the end of the alleyway and poked his head out slightly to check if there were any rigs or transports that could have been used or borrowed.

Sadly, that didnt seem an option, as two thugs remained in the area, who looked like they could easily inform the others.
"Well, had anyone got an idea? Because I'm open to suggestions."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:14:27 am by Nigel Wetherby » Logged
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 08:17:17 am »

Outside the alleyway, Pivito can see a few Mercian Knights, though they are walking by and soon pass. There are a few transports, but only of the small variety used for local and short distance transport. They seem to be either small autos of the wealthier or combination hauler/tractors used to carry goods and tend to the field.

Looking down the hall to room 19, Harris can see a servant standing watch outside, inconspicuous off to the side but near enough to watch the door. Having seen Harris on his first visit, he gives a slight nod in his direction, opening the door enough to let him in. Inside the room, chairs have been set up around a table, seemingly in preparation for a meeting, though the room is still empty. The room is quite nice, furnished simply and practically, though clean and elegant.

"He's going to wait a bit until more people show." murmurs the serving man. "Please, help yourself to the drinks on the table while you wait."

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:51 pm »

Harris nod to the servant as he passes and steps into the room quickly scanning to be sure that it is empty before pouring himself a glass of whiskey and settling into a chair where he can watch all the entrances to wait.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 02:10:39 pm »

coming back from the Trading Post with several rolled-up sides of glove and holster leather, some refurbished and new tools, as well as the partially-disassembled machine gun (he had separated barrel from breech and stowed the pieces in his bag along with everything else) and a wad of cash, Percival saw the Thugly siblings standing at the mouth of an alley that opened onto the Bar's parking area. Across the parking area, at the mouth of another alley, the one that also ran behind the bar, he saw Pitivo's head dart out and back again, obviously eyeing the two thuglings who were watching the parking lot. It was followed by Miri's head, and oddly enough, the picklock's head as well.

Since he was in different clothing (sans  coat and cowl, and now wearing the fedora with his weskit over his customary canvas shirt, and military trousers) and not wearing the waving flag that the machine gun would have been if it were still on his back, Percy was able to make it to his motorbike unnoticed by the thuglies. He opened the sidecar, stowed his bag, reassembled and remounted the machine gun, and lit the coal oil burner that fired the motorbike's engine. He put the rear stand down and jacked the lift height up so that the rear wheel could revolve freely, and spun the pedals (an odd aberration of the Cornwallian military motorbikes; they could be pedaled until steam was available or the coal in the coalburners produced sufficient gas to turn over the engine) to make the blower work, thus heating the coils of the flash boiler more quickly and fully.

The two brothers thugly, as he had expected, came over to see who this odd old fellow was and what in blazes he was doing, and both got into an excited question-and-answer with Percy long before they realized who they were talking to; Percy had managed to get both of them to bend down and look at the burner-and-boiler setup while the two knights in the area walked around a distant corner, before the two looked at one another (while still bent over, it should be noted), grinned, and started to straighten back up again when Percy's rather heavy driver wrench came down on the backs of their heads...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:18:44 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 06:25:55 pm »

Miri peeked out again, it looked like the nice man from the bar had taken care of one problem but who knew how many other mountains were waiting to block their way unless...  She had noticed shadows of shapes crossing over the ally and there was a ladder bolted to the side if the building here covered in flaking paint but the metal beneath still looked sturdy.  Well there was one way to find out. "Trouble is following us like a hungry dog.  Perhaps it is time we rise above it's reach?" She scampered up the ladder like a monkey and was on the roof top in a wink.  A friendly wave from the top and a whistle that sounded like a rather happy tea kettle showed that all was well above and drew the attention of Percy as he tidied up the two goons.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:49:39 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 06:09:10 am »

"Now her, I like." Pitivo said with a chuckle, grinning to show a mouthful of chipped teeth and a few missing molars. "She knows how to improvise, that's awlays a good thing."
With that he lept up onto the ladder and clambered less gracefully up onto the shingelled roof. Pitivo stepped to the roof's apex and narrowed his eyes his gaze skipping across the roofs until he found the familiar crennelations and towers of the ritzy hotel.

"Alright, gents, we're going to want to head east until we get to the chapel roof, then, I imagine we can cross the streets without worryin' about the autorities." He flashed Miri a smirk and gave a gentlemanly bow.
"After you, Milady." He gave a rougish chortle. "Granted, this is my first trek across the rooves, so I will count on you to set an example, eh?"
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 03:07:56 pm »

Sam follows Miri and Pitivo up the ladder.
He scans the adjacent roofs for anyone who might be hostile...

"Granted, this is my first trek across the rooves, so I will count on you to set an example, eh?"

Sam smirks at the large man...

"Pfft amatuer... I've been doing daring rooftops escapes since I was 12."

He steps forward and slides down the slope of the roof smoothly, leaping across the small gap to the next roof...
"Try to keep up!"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »

"Well, let's Go, Hildegarde, time may indeed be of the essence." Van Scagg said, using his pet name for the beloved old conveyance.

Having built up a good head of steam, the Professor set the pedal and drive gearing in 'neutral,' jacked the rear stand back down again and folded it back up onto the frame. He then climbed astride the saddle, let off the brake, and pedaled (laboriously, for 'Hildegarde' was much heavier than the average velocipede) to the edge of teh parking area, and then put the drivetrain in gear, and opened the steam throttle.

POP! HIIIiissss thwip! thwip! POP! HIIIiissss thwip! thwip! POP! HIIIiissss thwip! thwip!
Hildegarde sped up quickly, POP!HIIIiissssthwip!POP!HIIIiissssthwip!POP!HIIIiissssthwip!

And then all three sounds blended together with the sounds of gear changes and the whine of acceleration in those gear settings as she roared on down the throughfare toward the hotel, Van Scagg blending expertly with the rest of the traffic. He Dodged around the rear of a rig that had slowed down in front of the hotel, and then turned into and parked in the small lot out front and parked, locking up to the post provided for the purpose, and dismounting the .50 and settling it with its belts of ammunition on his shoulders once more.

"Back in a bit, Hildegarde, m'dear, he said, and then strode up to the front of the building, took a quick look around, and finding no obvious obstacles, headed though the halls toward room 19.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:06:22 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 09:07:26 pm »

Miri did not know roofs bur she did know canyons and rock walls. When there was not room for play on the rock floors you went vertical and scrambled out the way of the adults.  Her foot falls were light as she chased after Sam and she was having to stifle the joyous whoops she wanted to make after all that would defeat the point of their climb.  Miri leaped over a cracked skylight to try and out pace Sam and found herself beside him with a big grin.  "I am treading on your tail." she said swinging her way through a nest of roof top pipes over to the gap between the next two buildings.  The ground here was weaker here.  She did not like the creaking and groaning of the flea trap apartments beneath her feet and there looked to be two more buildings like that before they reached safety.  "We best move fast I don't think this place likes our company."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 06:38:40 am »

No one notices Miri and the others race across the roofs, as few of the populace are so inclined to look up. Even if they did, the angle of the roof and glare of the dome would make spotting them difficult.

Van Scragg is greeted by the same unreadable servingman, who quietly ushers him inside along with Harris.

"Take what you want to drink." he murmurs. There is a door to other parts of the chambers but it is, for the moment, closed and locked.

"He'll start when you're all here. Don't disturb him before."
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 08:55:06 am »

Harris looks up as the door opens, one hand going to the handle of a revolver before he sees the manservant usher Van Scragg into the room, he relaxes a trifle removing the hand from his duster and smiles slightly.

"So professor, we do meet again." He says chuckling softly "Way things where when we last met I wasn't quite sure that would be the case. By the way, name's Harris Jacobs, though a few in the business call me Dead Eye." he chuckles again reaching behind to pat the soft leather case of his rifle.
"Our employer may be a mysterious bugger, but he's got good whiskey at least." he says with a laugh.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:33 pm »

"Percival Van Scagg," Percy answered, and took the offered hand. "Late of the Cornwall National University. Folks around here in the Rigging and Gunnery business, and in the Military too, used to call me "Rimfire." He contiunued speaking as he dusted himself off, and removed the heavier pieces of his getup. "I have no room to talk or even advise, being somewhat wanted myself, but i wouldn't worry too much about our friendly neighborhood Thugs, at least until we get out on the road; then it's 'look sharply all round' for a while until we're sure they didnt follow, and then take another look, just in case.

He divested himself of the Maxim, propping the barrel of the Maxim just past the weapon's balancing point on the unloaded ammobelts, which he rolled together loosely and stacked on the table's edge, to anchor the big machine gun. He then helped himself to the scotch and water, mixing a small amount of liquor with the water as was his custom; "best not to be drunk when arriving on the job," he muttered as he mixed the drink. Poor fellow must be jumpy as hell to put hand to gun so readily. Of course, its not like I'm any less paranoid...

"I do hope there's space enough for Hildegarde on board," he said, after taking a mouthful of the watered scotch and swishing it around to clean his mouth and palate, "She hates to be left behind while I go off adventuring, you know, and it might be handy to have a spare vehicle to do some scouting with. I can sleep in the sidecar if necessary, though a regular bunk would be nice."
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 11:43:53 pm »

Harris chuckles and replies "Yes I know what you mean, would hate to leave my old Foxhound. Spent a lot of money getting her converted into a long-rage cruiser. Didn't think of using a Popping Molly like you've done though, quite a piece of work you've done on that old Cromwell."

"So did you learn anything about this job? All he told me was he was looking for highly qualified personal for various tasks, seemed quite glad about me turning up for a 'security' posting..." he pauses for a minute looking over at the door making sure no-one is about to enter then continues pitching his voice lower so that only the professor can hear "I'm beginning to wonder about our little 'incident' earlier... I don't know about you but it's been a long time since that many bounty hunters have come for me at once. I've also asked around town quietly, and the mere mention of our scar-faced friend shuts everyone up tighter then a high-pressure boiler."

He takes a drinking leaning back in his chair slightly and continues in a normal tone "So what did they hire you for professor? It would seem that you could be easily confused for maintenance or security yourself."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 02:48:06 am »

Pitivo had used rooves only once or twice on seperate atriums, but he supposed now was not the time to be afraid of trying something new. And so he began to stride across the rooves, leaping and bounding like a clumsy giant cat, occausinally causing a shingle or two to slide off the roof and hit the pavement.

As he strode across the rooves of england, he could not help but feel a rush of exhiliration as he got the hang of it, which only made his dramatic crash into the the steeple of the church more humiliating. He rubbed his nose and left a bloody smear run up his arm, but the bleeding quickly receeded after a minute or so of looking upward.
"Hope no-one saw that." He mumbled to himself as he slid down the slant of the roof and fell into a sack of potato peelings from the chip shop next door.  With a bruised shoulder and wounded pride, he loped to the old hotel, brushing chimney-dust and potato peelings off his shirt.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 06:11:52 am »

Miri was having a grand time and decided to show off a little bit on her way down the side of the church and did a set of small jumps between the two buildings bouncing back and forth like an india rubber ball until landing neatly on the ground. A gold ring on a thin chain bounced out of her shirt but she carefully tucked it back away.  Smiling at Sam she turned to follow Pitivo.  "Adventure and mystery await me and you have come so far.  Will you join me in seeing what the man in number 19 has to offer?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 06:36:22 am »

Van Scagg answered, "Got me for a Mechanic's Mate, Crewman, and Weapons Technician. In other words, Grease Monkey, roustabout and Gunsmith. We'll probably all be doing guard duty of some kind, especially those of us with military backgrounds. He also liked My Maxine." he patted the .50 caliber. He hinted, or seemed to, about some kind of achaeological stuff, so maybe there's salvage to be gotten (that and archaeology were my lecturing subjects at university, you know)."

:About that Popping Molly; I found that at the same dig where I found that airship tail section all those years ago." The Professor gained an expression that seemed a mixture of both nostalgia and irritated  self-reprochfulness, then brightene dup a bit, "I originally mounted it on one of those Foxhounds, with the same sidecar I'm using now, in fact, but it still had the isinglas back then; it (the isinglas) got all shot up at the Siege of Perth, which is also where I became disenchanted with Anglia. God, that was a bloody battle, and a bloody crew. Also the first time I ever saw 'em use Scottish mercs.

Van Scagg became serious again. "That fellow you carved in the bar yesterday, he was one of the line hands at Perth. 'Bloody Bill,' I think they called him. Went south with the mercs after the campaign, and he came back a year later all carved up like you saw him yesterday. That was about when I left Anglia and started Drifting. Took up with a band of Travellers, (called 'emselves 'Gyptians',  for some reason) for a month or two, then took off down south to Cornwall and got mixed up in that conflict. That's where I picked up Hildegarde and swapped over the sidecar, and got rid of the foxhound. They're great bikes, the foxhounds, but they're only good  for about twenty miles, thirty if you're lucky; the frame's too narrow to allow a long-riding water or oil tank. the Cromwell's got that griping big wheel back there, and is built like a truck back there, sidecar or not, and all armored up (and so's me sidecar, now), so I can run from anybody big enough to blow me up, and the .50 will kill anything fast enough to catch me."

Van Scagg sobered again, abruptly, and said, "Anyway, though, whether they come after us or not might depends on whom Bill was working for, or who takes over in his place..." He paused, then continued, "and I doubt he's still working for Anglia directly, since he was the boss hunter who was forced to let me get away when Anglia dropped my bounty, all those years ago. He was big and tight, the last time I was through here, with the local *ahem* 'low-down high-and-mighty' " Van Scagg waggled his eyebrows. "He probably got even bigger while I've been elsewhere, so now that he's gone, there'll probably be a reckoning between rival factions. Maybe even outright gang war, which should  keep the local thuglies busy for a few days at least. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it--

But don't go looking for their hideout, either, if you know what I mean..."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:00:56 am by MWBailey » Logged
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 07:35:05 am »

At room 19, the serving man ushered Sam, Miri and Pitivo inside, closing the door, standing listening as Van Scragg talked. At that moment a runner boy entered, carrying the original advertisement. The servingman took it and folding it carefully, tucking it away in his jacket.

"You will be all we need, I believe." he said. "I think, from what I have heard, you have all met, briefly at least?"

He knocked on the door to the adjoining chamber and a man walked out, tall and handsome, though with a serious and unreadable demeanor. He was dressed plainly, except for a well made crimson jacket. He had close cropped brown hair and dark gleaming eyes. He took a seat at the table, pouring himself a drink.

"Good Afternoon." he said casually, looking them over. "If you read the ad you know enough already, so we can get right down to the point. I have hired you to do a job. It is dangerous and delicate. But, I think its not impossible for the careful and competent. I'm already aware of the.... resumés of two of you - the Professor and Mr. Harris. Don't ask how I know, its part of my business."

The man cleared his throat, looking them over and then continuing.

"Anyways... the job is a... retrieval one. Or more a location. Here..."

The man laid out a map on the table. It detailed the northern areas, showing the border between the York and Scotland. He traced a finger carefully along this border, pointing out Hadrian Atrium, before gesturing to a point marked down on the map, in the dangerous places of York.

"There are men bold enough to scout over the border. This area here is a bit better mapped. This is because it used to be York territory, before the wilds reclaimed it. Anyways, there is, here, a village of the barbaric wildlings. The thing is, this village is apparently built around a heap of metal. Airship metal."

He let the words sink it.

"Most importantly, I believe the engine is still intact in there. It was a small airship, when it was whole and flying... but still... that propulsion system is unimaginatively valuable. Needless to say, I want you to get it. Take it, steal it, buy it - whatever works. You will proceed to Hadrian Atrium, on the border. There, you will be contacted with further and more specific directions. It's a simple job, really, but dangerous due to the location. And, as I said, this must be done discreetly. You can imagine all the people who would want to get their hands on this. So far, this secret is known just to me and my associates. You are now my associates."

He rolled up the map again. "Now, for details and such. You will be provided transportation and equipment. The rig is a custom one... of my own design. I'm certain you will find it satisfactory. It's a modified Anglian Tracked War Transport and is of... impressive size. It can hold your vehicles inside it, if you wish and it's armour will protect you from most minor attacks. It is also quite fast for its size. The engines are nothing to laugh at. It can hold coal for a full days journey dawn to dusk. This will make your journey a quick one. It should take you only three days to get to Hadrian Atrium. One day from Bromwichham to Sherwood, one day from Sherwood to York, one day from York to Hadrian. I have an agent who will meet you in York to help you past the customs there. You leave at daybreak tomorrow."

He reached into his jacket, placing a small bag on the table which clinked.

"This is a small down payment. It will be increased tenfold if you are successful. As well... I think I can be of help to some of you. Particularly you, Mr. Harris. I do know about your... incident at the local establishment. As you may have guessed, I am connected. I can arrange to have your... complications with Anglia... removed. The rest of you would be making a powerful friend, though I cannot tell you who at the moment."

He gave a small smile. "Discretion and all that, you know. Names can be such trouble. Now... are there any questions? I think I've laid it out simply enough. If we're all professional we can have this wrapped up quickly and smoothly."

Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 08:13:40 am »

Pitivo walked in, ignoring the pain which bloomed across his shoulders with each step.  He sat down and listened intently to the mission, its objectives, and never took an eye of the glittering incentive which enticed him with its monetary glory.
He maintained a perfect composure during the entire thing, but was cheering deep down.
How could he pass up a chance to fight through brutish savages, steal away a forgotten, old-world treasure, and write for himself, a glorious chapter to his story?
The scars he could receive from the fight alone made him grin.

"So essentially, we'll have to dig up this motor of yours, and hope that these are the sorts of noble savages you read of, eh?" He placed his feet up on an ottoman, his boot soles worn down by sand and asphalt.

"I have a nice little question for you." He said, raising his hand. "If this is old tech, that means it's taken by the earth, how are we digging this thing up? You got some spades and picks on that big rig of yours?"
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 12:56:32 pm »

Harris chuckles audibly, "I think we just found what he hired you for professor."

His mirth ends suddenly as he looks sharply at their new employer "I happen to have a question as well. If you can have my.. issues with Anglia, resolved, then you must have very powerful friends. Now that's all very well and good but working for powerful friends almost always involves equally powerful enemies. How much can we expect any serious resistance? Even if only your men and your 'friends' know exactly what's going on it's possible that your 'friends' enemies will learn that we're up to something and try to throw a spanner in the works."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 02:53:03 pm »

'A matter of some delicacy' in truth." The professor sucked his teeth and clattered his tongue, deep in thought for  a moment. "I think I know the village, and there is an engine of some sort rumored to be under the illustrious wreckage, but as master Pitivo has suggested, it will take picks and shovels, at the very least, to dig it all out, probably in a big clod of clay until we can clean away the clod from the outermost artifacts. The big tracked vehicle is probably one of the huge Family Crest jobs, I'll Warrant, so it will most likely have cranes that can be adapted to the task. What should be remembered, though, is that once we get it's clod hacked from the ground, we will need to bring it to some location of safety. The rig will probably be sufficient, though the size of the 'clod', and the disposition of the 'natives' will be the biggest factors in determining that, I  shouldn't wonder. We might be required to pay for the metal, if I remember the villagers attitudes correctly."

"After we get to a place of safety we'll have tp then clean away the clay, and dirt, and perhaps even rock, if its been there since the part of the event that knocked things from the sky. that will take small implements. We might have to scratch away at it with small stylii or soft copper or even wooden nails to separate out the smaller clods with integral parts inside... ultimately, though, it's doable. I'd hesitate to blast it out, but I can handle that bit if it becomes necessary. That in itself would be a true matter of delicacy and restraint..."

If he knows our resumes, as he says, Van Scagg thought, then he knows I myself wore a crimson jacket once, though it looks like a different branch unless they've redesigned the uniforms -- and If 'himself' is involved, then our benefactor must know that I still owe that 'debt that must be repaid.'

"All things being on the up and up," He continued, "I am yours -- and I hope that my new-found friends will also be my new-found comrades in this endeavor."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 06:34:26 pm »

Miri eyed the clanking bag thoughtfully.   She had never chased after money like some of the others choosing to only take what she needed but she liked the look of the Professor's motorbike and the idea of being able to travel further in a day than her legs would take her even more.  She had never traveled aboard a rig before,  Miri had seen plenty and shared meals with some of the crews but had always parted ways in the morning.  Being on one would certanly be an adventure and these seemed to be interesting people to be with.  Miri grinned this was going to be a cure to the crushing sadness of her wandering boredom for sure.

Miri's eyes lit up as she connecting the location with the folklore in her head.  "I would imagine I have been hired to keep the phantom cats at bay and patch us up if my efforts do not work.  To test my bow against such creatures, what a wonderful thing."   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: