The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:32:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bestiarum vocabulum  (Read 19257 times)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:34 am »

Can we do the same with the Lochness monster?
plesiosaurus Nessie, of Lochness.
plesiosaurus Ogopogo, in Okanagan Lake, in British Columbia, Canada.
Ah, wait. Here's a list, thanks to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reported_lake_monsters

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2012, 05:39:07 am »

Dear ladies and gentlemen:

It has been brought to my attention that a new species- not really,  a new phylum... maybe better an entirely new kingdom may have been discovered, according to this source:

From io9.com by Robert T. Gonzalez http://io9.com/5934297/help-us-identify-this-mysterious-cthulu+esque-organism-spotted-in-stockholm-sweden?tag=holy-crap-wtf

io9 reader Richard Turner was on a walk in southeast Stockholm when he and his friend made a startling discovery on the side of the road — a small mass of what appeared to be organic matter, roughly the size of a tennis ball and crawling with tentacle-like projections.

The creature was found NOT attached to the ground, and there is no evidence of a root system, putting in doubt a vegetable origin.

Kingdom: Animalia? Maybe?
Phylum: ?
Class: ?
Subclass?
Superorder?
Order?
Genus:?
Species?

I require your assistance (and imagination) in determining the taxonomy and nature of this creature!

Sincerely,

J. Wilhelm

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:42:53 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:05 am »

Oh, I hope nobody touched it. It looks like a Celestial Balloon Fish; they're deadly poisonous.

The liver of one of those things is considered a delicacy. However if it's not prepared in exactly the right manner, the effects on the diner are sudden, spectacular and quite messy. The Celestial Balloon Fish uses it's toxin in a controlled amount to inflate and deflate the cells of it's body. A human doesn't have such a natural means of control, and so rapidly inflates to the point of exploding all over his fellow diners. A successful meal of Balloon Fish liver is one where the walls don't need repainting afterwards.

(real world note:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:14:39 am by Aleister Crow » Logged

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2012, 10:03:40 pm »

Either a sarlacc larvae, before it goes sessile, or a gnole, as described by Lord Dunsany to resemble a Jerusalem artichoke made of india rubber, having left its eyes at home.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2012, 01:38:18 pm »

We've recently had the misfortune to have a Screaming Rabbit take up residence in the woods. No one in the neighborhood gets much sleep anymore.

Crazy rabbit screaming

I only hope it decides to move on before mating season rolls around.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:42:49 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »

#Waiting to clear up the dust#

reminds me of this:
Holy Grail - Killer Bunny

Our neighbour used to have a rabbit, male. Who was very VERY fond of a soccer ball. You know, the kind of fondness rabbits have.  Embarrassed If you would try to take his ball away, he would attack you!  Shocked
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2012, 02:43:11 pm »

Pretty sure my sister's rabbit has some velociraptor genes mixed in somehow..

It's pretty sad actually. I think the poor little thing is nearly blind and therefore paranoid as hell. He attacks everything that comes within a 1ft radius. Pretty vicious, too - going after it with claws and teeth. But he's perfectly fine if you talk to him, approach him from above and pet it a little bit - It calms down right away and lies down all nice and relaxed.. I can only guess this is the reason for this behavior. He's never been maltreated in any way, and it's been like that since we got it. He was barely 3 months old at the time..

Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2012, 12:33:41 am »

Pretty sure my sister's rabbit has some velociraptor genes mixed in somehow..

It's pretty sad actually. I think the poor little thing is nearly blind and therefore paranoid as hell. He attacks everything that comes within a 1ft radius. Pretty vicious, too - going after it with claws and teeth. But he's perfectly fine if you talk to him, approach him from above and pet it a little bit - It calms down right away and lies down all nice and relaxed.. I can only guess this is the reason for this behavior. He's never been maltreated in any way, and it's been like that since we got it. He was barely 3 months old at the time..

His name isn't General Woundwort by any chance, is it?
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 10:54:34 pm »

http://www.wetanz.com/xenodefugio-subtiltus/

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2013, 09:37:39 pm »

Dear ladies and gentlemen:

I'm sorry for the random act of Necromancy, but I just found excellent footage of that ellusive creature, the Micropanthera leo

ライオンに変身する猫 Transform oneself from Cat to Lion
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2013, 09:54:44 am »

Awesome! I want one.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2013, 09:47:12 pm »

3:11 <-- It was a trick! I knew it! Grin
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »

It's also possible to trim a cat to look like a lion.

Although most of them end up looking rather ridiculous.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »

Pretty sure my cat would launch a preemptive strike against my face if I showed him that picture..
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2013, 04:36:57 pm »

Awwwww, poor widdal kitty...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2013, 04:44:57 pm »

Yes but make no mistake gentlemen.  In numbers, these creatures are terrifying.  Piranha Lions are not to be trifled with! I happen to own a specimen
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:27:50 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2014, 04:20:52 pm »

Now, if I take the trim from around my slippers .... but no, that wouldn't work, neither of my boys are the right colours - a brown ruff would look positively stupid on a blue cat!
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2014, 09:43:26 pm »

Now, if I take the trim from around my slippers .... but no, that wouldn't work, neither of my boys are the right colours - a brown ruff would look positively stupid on a blue cat!

A multi-colo(u)red roughneck?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2014, 12:21:14 am »

I took off the trim from around my slippers - the blue boy thought I had provided him with TWO new toys and spent the next two days 'killing' them. No chance of a ruff now!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2014, 02:50:03 am »

It depends.  How blue is the cat?  Grin

I took off the trim from around my slippers - the blue boy thought I had provided him with TWO new toys and spent the next two days 'killing' them. No chance of a ruff now!

If there is any left for mutton chops you can call it a "tiger"  Grin
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2014, 07:31:20 am »

Very blue - he is part blue Burmese, and gleams like polished pewter!
Steaming Pistons
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

letsrockltd
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2014, 03:14:10 am »

I am sure that members will have heard of the famous Hawkwind Moth, a fluttering creature that creates what I believe is refered to as "progressive rock" music by the beating of its wings. Some of its extensive mating ballads have been known to have lasted for a duration of three or four hours.

There is also the Hypothena, a beast that may or may not exist, but possesses a harrowing laugh that follows you wherever you go once it has your scent.

Then of course there is the resplendent Tree Llama, a graceful creature that spends the majority of its life in the upper arboreal canopy, bouncing from branch to branch as it traverses the forests of Equatorial New Guinea, eating honey with its beak.

I do hope that we shall discover more fantastic nay fantastical creatures shortly!

Find the chuffing marvellous steampunk ebook compendium Steam Rising here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/452350 Coming soon in paperback!

The alternative zombie Sherlock Holmes tale on the trail of a psychotic cipher of Jack the Ripper known as Rick the Japer is also available in ebook form here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/442747

See our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/steamingpistons
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2014, 07:38:36 am »

Very blue - he is part blue Burmese, and gleams like polished pewter!

Cheesy

Pewter perhaps, but he can't be this blue

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2014, 07:41:56 am »

I am sure that members will have heard of the famous Hawkwind Moth, a fluttering creature that creates what I believe is refered to as "progressive rock" music by the beating of its wings. Some of its extensive mating ballads have been known to have lasted for a duration of three or four hours.

There is also the Hypothena, a beast that may or may not exist, but possesses a harrowing laugh that follows you wherever you go once it has your scent.

Then of course there is the resplendent Tree Llama, a graceful creature that spends the majority of its life in the upper arboreal canopy, bouncing from branch to branch as it traverses the forests of Equatorial New Guinea, eating honey with its beak.

I do hope that we shall discover more fantastic nay fantastical creatures shortly!

I think I saw a Tree Llama once.  They yield a strange type of feathered wool.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:55:31 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 09:30:40 am »

No, J. Wilhelm, he is not that blue!
His colour description is more to do with cat show language than real colour. In reality he is polished pewter & silver, and in the sunshine there are darker steel tabby markings. he is, however, particularly beautiful!
When he had his little snip the vet shaved his rear end - the fur grew back/remained a very shiny silver, so when running away from the viewer, his rear end twinkles!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: