The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 05:06:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get Steampunk clothes when I have no money?  (Read 68801 times)
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner
United States United States

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2013, 06:20:01 pm »

I merely search around the house- you'd be amazed sometimes at what you can find! I have also been able to assemble a few steampunky outfits from hand-me-downs and garage sale/thrift store items. (Actually, they are not as steampunky as I'd like, but they are what I have. Smiley)

It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)
Doctor Cogg
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2013, 09:35:38 am »

Being a Western reenactor of forty years standing I already have some great clothes that are Victorian style so I'm there in the clothes department already! Now I'm working on a couple of Steamy-type guns to complete the look! I have already created a pair of goggles from an old pair 'dressed' up and they look cool.
WeatherEAFWS
Deck Hand

« Reply #302 on: September 28, 2013, 12:18:37 am »

I cannot recommend eBay enough, if you are willing to wait you can get some nifty things from the Hong Kong sellers stupidly cheap which can then be modified further if you fancy.

Failing that make it yourself. If you are a girl skirts are not hard, some elastic and a length of fabric will get you a passable base skirt  Smiley

Time. I think many people here will agree it all takes time. You start with a basic bottom and top and a pair of goggles, next time you buy a belt and a hat. After that comes a corset or waistcoat and before you know it you have a wardrobe littered with costumes, props and 'kit' and you can start mixing and matching and buying the extra bit here and there.
CmDr Jean W Gearwood-Day
Deck Hand

« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2013, 08:59:53 pm »

I cannot recommend eBay enough, if you are willing to wait you can get some nifty things from the Hong Kong sellers stupidly cheap

Have you had good results with the Chinese/Hong Kong sellers?  I keep getting tempted by ebay bargains from China .... accepting that they are what they are and not expecting Saville Row quality .... but I get wary about the delivery aspect so I bottle out and stick closer to home!

I'm the dandy highwayman you're too scared to mention... I spend my cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention.... the devil take your stereo and record collection ... the way you look you'll qualify for next years' old age pension ....
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #304 on: December 14, 2013, 10:16:53 pm »

Never had a problem with deliveries from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan. Quality tends to be very much "you get what you pay for". For those that tend to dress up for special occasions / faires / cons, etc. it's usually just good enough. Sizes can vary wildly though, so be careful when ordering clothes. Can't really go wrong wit cheap accessories though..

Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #305 on: December 19, 2013, 04:55:26 am »

If you need goggles, this is about the cheapest DIY project you'll ever see. Doesn't look half bad after painting either.

How To Make Steampunk Brass Goggles From Foam DIY

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #306 on: December 19, 2013, 10:40:47 am »

If you need goggles, this is about the cheapest DIY project you'll ever see. Doesn't look half bad after painting either.

Sir, your quote of Holmes is the best I have seen in a while. Found my quote of the week.

A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #307 on: December 19, 2013, 11:22:10 am »

That's quite a cool pair of sunglasses he destroys to make the goggles!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #308 on: February 10, 2014, 08:18:14 am »

One thing that could do with being emphasised is that an outfit takes time to assemble.  It can take a couple of years to get all the bits together to one's satisfaction.

I usually find myself adding/sewing each time I decide to wear a particular outfit.  So noone should fret if their outfit is not finished.  I've had safety pins decorating the inside for years!

Duck tape is another good tool, I was making gloveletes, and didn't have time to finish sewing so I taped up the remaining seams. Nobody knew or cared, and that was the day we got called airship pirates behind our backs, which was exactly what we were going for. It was good that I had the tape with me too, because my friend accidentally caught my skirt getting out of the car, and I had to tape it too. And later I was able to finish sewing them up.
http://vampiratemace.deviantart.com/art/Black-and-White-gloveletes-172733668
Considering how chilly it’s been, I suppose I have a good excuse to wear these again. 

I merely search around the house- you'd be amazed sometimes at what you can find! I have also been able to assemble a few steampunky outfits from hand-me-downs and garage sale/thrift store items. (Actually, they are not as steampunky as I'd like, but they are what I have. Smiley)

I love the stuff people forgot they owned. My grandma found an antique mandolin, huge, no safety, scariest way I could think of to cut vegetables other than a guillotine. Yeah, I know that’s not clothes…

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #309 on: February 11, 2014, 12:23:43 am »

Find a friend who is a member of a scrap store.  I do not know if there are any outside England.  What happens is that local businesses all donate their cast-off bits and schools and clubs pay to become members.  They can then take away/pay as small amount for any of the items.  There is usually cardboard and fabric, and plastic pots and paper and all sorts of stuff, all with funny shapes cut out of them.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2014, 01:17:51 am »

Find a friend who is a member of a scrap store.  I do not know if there are any outside England.  What happens is that local businesses all donate their cast-off bits and schools and clubs pay to become members.  They can then take away/pay as small amount for any of the items.  There is usually cardboard and fabric, and plastic pots and paper and all sorts of stuff, all with funny shapes cut out of them.

Wow that dredged up a memory from deep in my childhood. I almost wondered if I had imagined the visit to a place like that. I wonder if student groups are eligible.....

~A~
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #311 on: February 11, 2014, 09:48:59 pm »

If you contact your local scrap store you can ask them if anyone in your institution is already a member.  Any type of student is eligible - but it has to be a staff member who joins up the organisation.  Maybe your local Women's Institute is a member, or the local scouts?
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:01 pm »

Hmm... I'll look into it sometime. My childhood memory is of a magical place, hopefully they are just as exciting through the eyes of an adult.

~A~
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #313 on: February 13, 2014, 09:21:17 pm »

I used one some distance from me for years.  I loved it, you never knew what goodies you would find there.
Available Light
Swab

« Reply #314 on: April 15, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »

Charity shops, I'm slowly becoming a steampunk not through any ethical/quasi-religious/cultural/fashionista requirement but I realised that I already had a mpstly steampunk wardrobe but had never recognised myself as such. And all through charity shops.
L.Ferrous
Deck Hand

« Reply #315 on: April 26, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »

I found some deliciously steam punk pieces today at the Goodwill. The tweed skirt will have to be taken in a bit, but other than that less than 10 dollars for four awesome pieces.

Lucinda Ferrous- when happiness is motivation, life is bliss.
Von moustachentwirler
Deck Hand

« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2014, 05:57:27 pm »

Don't be too proud if someone comes upto you with clothes donations. I was given some tan overalls Airforce pattern and some shirts in fashion but with old fashioned style cut. Needless to say overalls will make a lovely rocketeer jumpsuit and shirts will go for explorer. Otherwise you could do what our young'un does is borrow and not return but that might reduce the size of your  friendship circle.   Undecided

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=487454531338538&id=100002219868692&set=a.438643799552945.1073741827.100002219868692

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=487454544671870&id=100002219868692&set=a.438643799552945.1073741827.100002219868692&refid=13
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:02:47 pm by Von moustachentwirler » Logged
Moneaky
Deck Hand

« Reply #317 on: August 26, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »

My first ever post on here. This thread could be my spiritual home, glad I found it. Fortunately for me I am a theatrical costume maker so am not daunted by a sewing project. I , however can't walk past a skip without having a good look inside and am banned from going to the local tip as I bring back more than I leave.
I look at every item of rubbish before I throw it and think "What can this be made into". If I have a quiet period then money is tighter and I am at my most creative. my hoarding tendencies mean I have lots of items, trim, fabric etc ready to be utilised into some personal project.

these goggles are made out of some old skateboard kneepads that were my son's when he was little:

https://instagram.com/p/kjuW81oPaj/?taken-by=moniquehollinshead

some gaiters made from the tops of a favourite pair of boots where the sole had parted company with the upper:

https://instagram.com/p/lpTZ_1oPcJ/?taken-by=moniquehollinshead

these joke shop "fly eye" glasses:

https://instagram.com/p/kzq9zyoPe2/?taken-by=moniquehollinshead

became:

https://instagram.com/p/lQFHn1IPWc/?taken-by=moniquehollinshead

In between commissions I am making an aviator and an explorer costume/outfit to add to my wardrobe. Making use of charity shop jackets belts skirts etc and my fabric and bric-a-brac stockpile. Necessity is the mother of invention! One the best things about steampunk is that invention is A BIG part of it, off the peg "finished" items; IMHO are like Laura Ashley in a house, best used sparingly! It's the individually sourced/adapted/customised/upcycled items that for me make the costume authentic and unique.
 Hope the links work, there is something a bit Victorian about my grasp of technology.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #318 on: August 27, 2015, 12:17:37 pm »

The skateboard goggles are fantastic!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Moneaky
Deck Hand

« Reply #319 on: August 27, 2015, 03:17:09 pm »

The skateboard goggles are fantastic!
How very kind, much obliged.
this is how my workroom is looking today:
https://instagram.com/p/647OygIPcQ/?taken-by=moniquehollinshead
An essential part of the creative process is to cover every available surface with stuff, then flit about doing a bit of millinery,  bit of skirt cutting, bit of holster making, making some alterations to a mens xxxl tweed jerkin, embellishing a magnifying glass, messing with my son's old bionicals and a cap gun, pondering the potential use of a pile of fabrics I dyed up, fiddling with a handbag clasp and dressing up a charity shop gladstone bag. like a bee, I might look like I'm aimlessly pootling about, but really there's progress being made, honest. Trouble is my fiance is the complete opposite, hence my ban from the waste disposal site.
Hoarders of the world climb over your heaps of stuff and unite!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #320 on: August 27, 2015, 10:59:15 pm »

Ha!  that is not untidy.  You can still see bits of the table.
Moneaky
Deck Hand

« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2015, 01:03:35 am »

Ha!  that is not untidy.  You can still see bits of the table.
You see, I just knew I'd like it here for the validation alone. Smiley
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #322 on: September 13, 2015, 01:56:00 pm »

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,
Steampunk tastes on a t-shirt economy?

You may surprise yourself just how brilliant your outfitting can be for very, very little cash outlay. Be clever and be crafty
Be clever and use thrift shops, church bazaars, even/especially tips as  sources of materials.

Be crafty, buy a hot glue gun! There's a plethora of tutorials on how to convert garments into steampunk attire without advanced sewing skills-most are excellent, some, superb.
And remember- gauges are the new cogs!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Anita Reyes
Deck Hand
Mexico Mexico

« Reply #323 on: January 16, 2017, 06:34:56 pm »

Buy some cheap thing and put on some ornament and fix a little the shape like a hat sewed  from behind and with bows leftover fabric flowers, feathers ribbons or even little wax fruits all of that you can get for free recycle

"Guerra guerra en el monte en el valle, los cañones horrisonos truenen y sus ecos sonoros resuenen con las voces de unión, libertad!"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2017, 08:42:09 am »

Buy some cheap thing and put on some ornament and fix a little the shape like a hat sewed  from behind and with bows leftover fabric flowers, feathers ribbons or even little wax fruits all of that you can get for free recycle

For sure, Steampunks are experts at re-purposing clothing items. In the United States Goodwill and Salvation Army Stores are regularly visited by Steampunks. Pray tell, which stores do you visit in Mexico City / Mexico State?

Bienvenida al foro Srta. Reyes! Le acabo de mandar un mensaje privado!

Quedo de Ud.

Adm. Wilhelm
United States Airship Orca

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: