The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 11:24:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for an SP children's book with a mouse inventor  (Read 3917 times)
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« on: March 02, 2007, 03:50:42 am »

There was a picture book I remember from my childhood that I am desperately trying to find, as it has an unmissable Steampunk flair to it.  It was about an anthropomorphic mouse living in Victorian times, and his various outlandish inventions.  The plot centered around one device in particular, a "birthday machine" (I think).  It had all manner of pistons and bellows, and somehow generated presents, candy, and confetti.  I remember one other invention, which I'm near-positive was called the "comfy corset". 

Despite all the details I do remember, I cannot for the life of me recall the actual title.  As the birthday machine seems to be the primary plot point, the title may well have involved that in some way... 

The illustrations (if memory serves) were similar to <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/?p=268">this</a>, (though color)--the machine especially.  It was that post, in fact, that reminded me of this book...

I've googgled and googled every combination of these details I could, but to no avail.  Any ideas?

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Enoch Tremaine
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:14:29 am »

Is it this?  http://www.hermux.com/  Hermux Tanamoq, mouse watchmaker.  As for illustrations, both Sendak and Gorey come to mind but I'm having some difficulty as well in pinpointing which book/story it might be.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 12:25:46 am »

No, that doesn't look right.  It would have been published in the 1980s or (very) early 90s, I believe.  Thanks though!
CuriousGoods
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:36:38 am »

Is it Herbert Bins and the Flying Tricycle?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Herbert-Binns-and-the-Flying-Tricycle-Caroline-Castle_W0QQitemZ8038424925QQihZ019QQcategoryZ279QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

*Sigh* Not it either...
Lasairfion
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 12:28:01 am »

There seem to be lots of mouse inventor books, but none matching your description.

I found 'The Adventures of Providence Traveler' , 'Sydney's Star', 'Mouse Paint'...

After some heavier searching I found "Diary of a Victorian Mouse" by Angel Dominguez
It seems promising.. but no pictures available (buy from alibris or amazon etc):

In this cheerful, oversize picture book, Mr. Albert Mouse, an ardent versifier, tells of life in Victorian England--the diary in which he penned his observations has, it seems, been discovered in a "dark, old house." Through a variety of short, quirky verses, Mr. Mouse describes a visit to Stonehenge ("Professors meet at ancient places / (See how serious are their faces)"; punting on the River Cam ("Punting is like rowing only more so. / It takes a very special movement of your torso"); a peek inside the House of Commons to "listen while the hot air blows" and many other quintessentially British goings-on. However, it is primarily through Dominguez's enticing illustrations that a sense of time and place really becomes apparent. Children will delight in the well-to-do woodland animals--reminiscent of the Wind in the Willows cast--dressed in shiny black top hats and bow ties. While the verses may not shed new light on British history or culture, their charm and scintillating wit warrant repeat readings. Ages 4-up.
Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 03:42:43 pm »

OK bit of a long shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-What-People-All/dp/0394818237

Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 05:48:22 pm »

::Wistfully:: No, not it...

Richard Scarry is a true genius, however.  Heck, I still learn stuff when I read 'em to my nephew!
Arenyth
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 10:39:27 pm »

Not sure if this is it, but it's the first thing I thought of:

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Me-Astonishing-Benjamin-Franklin/dp/0316517305
spudmurphy
Swab

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 05:11:03 am »

I stumbled on this thread looking for exactly the same book. Did you ever figure out the title?
Joe Warn
Swab

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:01:02 pm »

I stumbled across this thread trying to find, I think, the same book. I've found the author I was looking for... Rodney Peppe. Is that who you were looking for?
spudmurphy
Swab

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 04:56:55 pm »

I finally solved the mystery, or rather my mother did. I'm think that the book you were looking for was called "The Incredible Invention of Alexander Woodmouse" by Pamela Sampson. This was one of my favourites as a kid.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 05:37:18 pm »

I don't know either, but I did have a story idea that you dislodged from archival memory. Thanks!
Jules82
Swab

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:31:59 am »

I remember this! BUt also, I think Richard Scarry is pretty steampunk actually, when I read them to my nieces and nephews they love it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: