The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 11:39:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam powered Centipede Robot  (Read 3021 times)
VonBlimp
« on: March 02, 2007, 03:16:50 am »

I think I'm in love... this has to be one of the most interesting functional steam robots I have ever seen!
If this robot (or indeed any other robot from this talented gentleman's site - crabfu.com) has not been posted before, either in the forum or some other place on Brassgoggles, I would be surprised.  However, one can never share a good thing to often!

So, without any further ado, enjoy, the clip of the centipede robot:

- Von Blimp
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 04:09:49 am »

Yes, Mr. Crab Fu is by far Steampunk royalty!  His work has been posted on the blog many times though, as you say, one can never share a good thing to often!

My only complaint is that his 'bots are so incredible, the rest of us don't stand a chance!   Grin

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Johnny Payphone
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Contraptor/ Metalworker/ Bicycle builder

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:38:05 am »

Look at the centipede kit he used.  It's amazingly simple.  Each of those legs is just an oar, offset into a gear or pulley.  You can imagine all you have to do is line them up right and they'll walk like that automatically.  Nature always has the coolest shit.

Steampunk life in the living world:
http://www.johnnypayphone.net/blog.php
Chuzzlewit
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:45:02 pm »

Also a reminder of the breathtaking "real thing" from 1879, which Tinkergirl first brought to my attention: The Darby Steam-Digger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darby_Steam-Digger

Wouldn't you have liked to see film of that? I wonder what happened to it. Scrapped or broken up, in a museum, or rusting away somewhere?

"`Suppose, after all, it all ends in your butterflies and morlocks. THAT DOESN'T MATTER NOW. The effort's real. It's worth going on with. It's worth it. It's worth it, even so.' . . .
VonBlimp
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 03:21:01 pm »

Now that would have been a sight to behold. Though I'm willing to bet that it's been melted down and reused.  Sad
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 12:25:54 am »

That reminds me, How is it that Mr. Crab Fu hasn't joined this forum?  Is he just that busy making all his wonderfull steam inventions?

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 08:28:11 am »

That reminds me, How is it that Mr. Crab Fu hasn't joined this forum?  Is he just that busy making all his wonderfull steam inventions?

Horrifying as the thought may be to us, then there are some 'net citizens left out there, who are consciously not partaking in any public forums. It rather does take a lot of time and I know some, who choose to spend theirs away from the keyboard as much as possible.

Or maybe he just hasn't discovered the board yet...?  Wink

C.S.

July 19th, 02009: Lab project delayed. Local home 'improvement' stores have apparently stopped carrying any kind of quality DIY materials... Huh
July 15th, 02009: Much progress was made today on clearing out my future laboratory, yet there is a ways to go still.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 06:31:03 pm »

I doubt he's conciously avoiding the forums.

Perhaps he is a lurker?

Though speaking of lurkers I have the best forum name for one:

"spring heeled Jack"

CrabFu
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:06:45 pm »

Ahhhh.... so I've been called out Smiley

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Yeah I've been busy working on a bunch of different steam projects, and also am involved in many live steam forums, so just now got around to joining this forum... thanks for the invite! Looks like an every active community, with lots of great resources!

-Crabfu
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:15:30 pm »

There we go!  welcome to the forum Mr. Crabfu, we've been expecting you.

CrabFu
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 08:35:59 pm »

Also a reminder of the breathtaking "real thing" from 1879, which Tinkergirl first brought to my attention: The Darby Steam-Digger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darby_Steam-Digger

Wouldn't you have liked to see film of that? I wonder what happened to it. Scrapped or broken up, in a museum, or rusting away somewhere?

For you Darby Digger fans.... took me a while to find my bookmark, but here is an amazing live steam scale model:

http://www.viewmodels.co.uk/complete/Derby%20Digger/darbydigger.htm

If I had one of these little guys, I wouldn't have a lawn anymore Wink

-Crabfu
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 12:22:15 am »

crabfu, 2 posts in and you have lived up to your legend.

welcome!

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 12:26:56 am »

Ahhhh.... so I've been called out Smiley

So you have Mr. Crabfu. Welcome aboard and please feel free to pass some of that steam info around when you are ready for it.  Wink

Love your contraptions. :thumbsup:

C.S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: