The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:30:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam and Sand 2: Anthracite Days - (OoC and Character Thread)  (Read 9711 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 04:32:17 pm »

As I write for The Professor, I keep hearing him speak in my head in a voice like a rabidly feral TerryThomas... Cheesy

"Rimfire" is what the other fellows in the Anglian Mobile Military Engineering Corps used to call Van Scag, because of his preference for that kind of scavenged ammunition round, especially in new  gun designs...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 01:06:18 am »

I hope I didnt overstep by putting your character in the driver's seat, Scytheknight. I just wanted to keep the rhythm going and get to questioning the Prisoner in a timely manner. In future I'll try to avoid NPCing anybody like that unless asked to do so.
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:35 am »

No worries mate.. My comp did a crash and burn on Monday ((Advanced version of the Antiver Solutions Pro scam that was irremovable short of a re-format)) so I'd taken the opportunity to do an upgrade and go up to Windows 7 64bit.. was only really up and running again yesterday.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

H.P. Lovecraft

"The Call of Cthulhu."

Are you living in the real world?

Cowboy Bebop, The Movie.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2010, 05:10:39 am »

Please note that Van Scagg refers to several events over several years in his reply to  Harris' question about his identity; the battle of Battersea was fought during the extermination of a rebel uprising in Chelsea (both areas are adjacent to London, and in RL were villages in their own right before the Industrial Revolution and London's urban sprawl), while the siege of Westminster occurred later, after one of the first instances of King Richard's expansionist schemes.

The trip to study Avebury was still later, when Van Scagg was a professor at the then-newly-established secular university at Oxford (I was thinking that perhaps the religious end of the university had a resurgence during and immediately after the event, and only started teaching secular students (other than the sons and daughters of the nobility) during the beginning of teh current Richard's reign.

The Tail section, I was thinking, has led to painstaking study over many years to discover how to build and implement an airship-type flying machine to aid in King Richard's expansionist policy, although perhaps the academics involved in it are doing it for the sake of advancing the disciplines in which they labor (Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Industrial Technology, etc.), and have forgotten or are refusing to see (or perhaps are even proud of) the vehicle's warlike potential.

I was thinking that, maybe, The engine that the current team are out to procure will serve as a springboard for the design of a new powerplant for the dirigible which is already half-built in London, but which needs an existing engine to be calculated for as far as weight and other stresses are concerned. I'd also think that none of the procuring party are aware of this, as yet, or at least not for certain (such a huge secret would be nearly impossible to keep, I'd imagine). Percy MIGHT have an idea of what's going on; it might even be the reason he originally expatriated, in order to avoid associating himself with what he would most likely view as a 'doomsday' weapon...
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2010, 09:12:05 am »

Hey all, I'm back.

I'm very sorry for almost a month's inactivity without notice. For a few weeks I've had some stressful personal issues to deal with, though they are starting to clear up.

If you are still around and willing, I would be willing myself to try and restart that. If not all are present, I would also be fine with starting a new RP.

Thanks,

VAP

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2010, 05:04:28 pm »

I'm game either way; Will/would we be starting over with the same characters, picking up where we tanked (no pun intended), or starting a whole new crew?
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2010, 08:04:59 pm »

If everyone is here, we'll just start from where we left off. There's no reason not to.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2010, 09:18:22 pm »

I am here and I can poke Nigel back this way when he logs on.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:16 am »

I can't speak for Scytheknight, but surely they'd want to continue as well, I'd think.
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 08:04:14 am »

Heh, yeah I think we can pick up again where we left off.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:07 pm »

Percy could easily be persuaded to scout ahead and ascertain what lies on the road and just off of it... perhaps check out the edges of the conflict for salvage and business perhaps, as a cover for gathering info...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:44 pm »

Nigel is fighting off the flu but he will be back soon.  sorry I have been busy making a dress I promise to post tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:48:59 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

Here's hoping Nigel is OK or will be soon.

New Dress? Hope you post a pic someplace...

----------------------
OK, just thought I'd touch base with this; this is approximately what I see in my minds eye in regard to the rig:

Please Note that I do not mean to say that this is the only way it could look; its just what I 'see' when I write. It's fine if we concur, and it's fine if we do not; it's just my two cents, so to speak...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:05:25 am by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2010, 10:23:44 pm »

I couldn't remember if there were any documentation papers, but they seemed reasonable in the event of finding the restocking and refueling station, in the absence of the name of the benefactor. I can rewrite if necessary.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:45 pm »

Having papers is not unreasonable. The Benefactor did not fail to give out his name by accident - secrecy and all that.

Sherwood is part of Mercia and things like that tend to be more loose. Only Law and Military are provided by the Mercian "government" - everything else is up to towns to decide on their own.

York is more organized so such things would be very useful there. There will be a contact to guide the characters through the bureaucratic hurtles.

I think that is a great picture, by the by.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:30:28 am by Vancouver Air Privateer » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2010, 03:23:45 am »

York is more organized so such things would be very useful there. There will be a contact to guide the characters through the bureaucratic hurtles.

Good, I was wondering how we'd work that.

I think that is a great picture, bt the by. 

Thanks!
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2010, 04:42:24 am »

Just to note; (and no, I'm not getting mad - I just should have laid this out to start) the levels of player controls over NPCs. So far this has not come up, but the further we go it may play more a role.. The rule of thumb is that named NPCs are under only my control. Unnamed ones you are free to control for effect. Interacting with named characters should also be respectful of not godmodding. (e.g. you can say "Percy punched Bob Smith" and I can reply "Bob crumpled to the ground." It is a little off to say "Percy punched Bob Smith and he flew out the window, snapping his neck and dying instantly). Actually, that's a generally good rule - don't declare a named NPC death. I will try not to make them "invincible", although fate may favour those I wish to return. (Note that this doesn't apply to nameless minions - I know how much fun it is to just cut a bloody swath sometimes. Just leave some for the other players.  Wink)

As far as events, you can create fairly minor ones, as long as they don't "undo" or counteract an event I put into motion (or anyone elses). As far as declarations of things, pretty much the same. You have total creative control over your own characters as long as it doesn't go against the world or logic.

And... um... what else. I'm pretty loose. I don't mind being both a proactive and reactive GM. During most times none of this will matter but during tense situations this would help keep things fair. If you have an idea but you think it may be too earth-shattering, PM me and I will review it.

This does seem like a lot of text but hopefully its all basic and straightforwards.....
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 07:34:20 pm »

The NPC restrictions seem reasonable and actually more than a bit commonsense to me. Just my two cents, there.
----------------------------
I referred to the previous episode not as a 'dig,' or as an attempt to revive it, but rather as a likely thing for Percy to have been doing as an operative of the Cornwallian Resistance. It would stand to reason, by my lights, that he would be skulking about on the edges of that incident, and have seen firsthand at least a few of the things that went on. It would also bolster the back history of Percy's Steam bike.

Also, Percy doesn't really want to rejoin Anglia, despite his wistful references to his old red coat -- but then, again...( Wink.
----------------------------
He's gambling that Beldan can tell him something about the artifact that will help them to retrieve it. There's also a certain nefarious side of his (Percy's) character that is playing all sides against the middle for the sake of carrying out his own agenda, however, which is mainly to support and weal Cornwall, While still adhering to the contract, albeit possibly in a rather corkscrewily oblique way...
--------------------------
I'll be performing tonight at a gig here in town, then tomorrow AM in Baytown, then to the club meeting tomorrow afternoon here (pant, pant), and then performing in El Campo Sunday AM and afternoon...BUT I will try to post at some point late tonight, sometime tomorrow (again, probably latenight) and latenight Sunday -- IF possible; I may be too bushed. But I will try.

(in other words, don't hold up the game for my sake)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:45:34 pm by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2010, 02:02:25 am »

I'm baaaaack... at least until 1 AM or so...
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2010, 11:43:36 pm »

Sorry about being a bit on-and-off with my posting lately... been struggling with a bout of the Flu lately and simply haven't felt much like posting half the time... and been a train wreck the other half.  Sad
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2010, 06:11:31 pm »

Sorry about being a bit on-and-off with my posting lately... been struggling with a bout of the Flu lately and simply haven't felt much like posting half the time... and been a train wreck the other half.  Sad

That's okay. I think I can slow it down a bit so as not to let Harris's half get left behind.
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2010, 01:07:49 am »

OK, finally getting well enough to get back into the swing of things... had to do a bit of a sketchy post to bring Harris back up to speed with events.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2010, 07:40:03 pm »

Having had to deal with people like HRH and the thugs that Richard hired to keep tabs on his engineers and other people, Percy has developed a serious dislike of threats and the people who make them. Turning thge tables is a favorite method of dealing with such...

Of course, as always, I could just rewrite.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2010, 02:38:09 am »

Miri has a plan but you all can take it from there.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2010, 03:43:11 am »

Changed my post; got a little too used to making huge entries for a while on another RP. Fun, but it doesn't fit in an RP with more than two people.

Gawd its good to RP with you folks again.

No, I'm not railing at you through Percy, VAP;); it's in character, as is Percy's rather bloody-minded approach to obstacles. Percy's just a mouthy old git himself (somewhat like a certain other slightly-old fellow)...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: