The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 07:52:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam and Sand 2: Anthracite Days - (OoC and Character Thread)  (Read 9708 times)
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« on: June 20, 2010, 07:30:48 am »

Yes, I, the nefarious V.A.P., am attempting to resurrect this idea with the most potent necromancy available.

However, this time, things are going to be run a little bit different, in the hope of making this version more dynamic. Essentially, this time, the game will be run closer to a classic RP in that I will not be making a character, instead acting as "GM" - or "DM" or "God" or whatever other titles you want to bestow on me.

For those familiar with the old game, I would prefer new characters be created.

For those unfamiliar, here is a brief synopsis of the concept, in the Overview.

http://editthis.info/brass_goggles/Steam_and_Sand

I will be fairly busy for the next week, but I am starting this thread at this time so that people can read, consider, express interest and brainstorm characters. Characters can be anyone, but this will be an adventure story with travel and action. If there are any questions on anything, post 'em here.

In about a week or so I'll see what the interest has been and then hopefully make the thread.

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:14:34 am »

will this game still use the 7-7, or will a new rig need to be created?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 06:10:25 am »

I would like to try this too maybe with another persona so I can have fun building them up.  My computer is running slow now but is should be fixed soon.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:58:06 am »

will this game still use the 7-7, or will a new rig need to be created?

As I said, it will be new characters, same game world. Assumably rig will be different and may be supplied.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:55:17 pm »

New Persona seems a good idea. Same for new rig.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »

Hey guys, long time no post...

I've a long boring summer looming and am looking for a good RP.

Steampunk Radio Play.
Now taking auditions.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16578.0
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 05:43:57 am »

I have wanted to explore this world a bit more, and hopefully this one will go further than the last!
You have my keyboard, sir!
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:56:32 am »

hmm.. well a RP like this sounds a good way to practice my writing skills and getting used to writing in a SteamPunk setting.

Although I have to admit I've never been involved in this type of forum RP before so character creation is a bit of a mystery to me lol.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:58:59 am by ScytheKnight » Logged

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."

H.P. Lovecraft

"The Call of Cthulhu."

Are you living in the real world?

Cowboy Bebop, The Movie.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:44:23 pm »

hmm.. well a RP like this sounds a good way to practice my writing skills and getting used to writing in a SteamPunk setting.

Although I have to admit I've never been involved in this type of forum RP before so character creation is a bit of a mystery to me lol.

That's fine - we were all new at some point.  Wink

Character creation should cover the basics of description and personality. If still unsure you can use this model. Fill these in as briefly or as extended as you like.

-----

Name:

Appearance:

Nationality:

Weapon of Choice:

Attire:

Background:
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 09:31:52 pm »

Ahh OK cool.. pretty standard format then, not sure if this would require anything special or not.

Not a complete novice to RP, just never really done any forum centric stuff.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:49:02 am »

Hmmm...
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 04:57:03 am »

I beleive I'll be playing a Traveller, the bare-knuckle boxing sort.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 05:56:58 am »

Adventurer/Scavenger/Archaeologist. Armed...
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 12:43:30 pm »

Gonna keep things simple, good ol' fashioned gun-for-hire.  Cool
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 02:34:11 pm »

I have been thinking of making an old fashioned medicine woman.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 02:57:33 pm »

I'm thinking roguish con-man/thief/brigand....
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 02:08:11 am »

Sounds like we're sizing up to an interestingly-varied crew. Can we bring our own storable vehicles on board (cycles of various sorts, I'd think), or should we sell them on arrival?
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 11:56:37 am »

getting a bit bored while I'm waiting for a game I just installed to update so here goes.. plz be aware that I know only a little of this setting so any constructive 'corrections' are more then welcome Cheesy

Name: Harris 'Dead Eye' Jacobs

Appearance: A touch on the tall side with a wirerily muscled body, looks like someone used to scrapping. Short black hair and brown eyes. Has several scars from previous battles.

Nationality: Anglia

Weapon of Choice: A specially modified leaver-action rifle that's had a small looking glass attached as a primitive scope, also carries a pair of high-caliber revolvers and several small hidden weapons for close-in fighting.

Attire: A long leather duster over otherwise regular heavy-duty clothing, a close fitting hat and shaded goggles.

Rides a Foxhound  Motorcycle that he stole during his escape from the Anglia army, looks to have undergone several modifications to improving it's touring range as well as multiple repairs. Saddlebags are filled with various tools and parts for maintaining the bike and performing minor repairs.

Background: Harris grew up in the ruins of London and quickly learned that nothing comes without fighting for it one way or another. He made his way through the various gangs until he learned to use a gun, and use it very well. His skills didn't go unnoticed and it wasn't long before he was conscripted into the Royal Anglia Army. Several battles honed Harris' skills to a razor edge and would have lead him far in the Army if he had have cared for the discipline and taking orders from those he figured inferior fighters and during the chaos of a retreat he managed to slip away and start a carrier as a Mercenary. Now he takes jobs all across the isles, but is careful to stay well away from Anglia and her armies who still have a warrant for his death as a deserter. Where he acquired the modified rifle that earned him his nickname of 'Dead Eye' he tells no-one.

Anyone anything constructive is welcome... even if it's to say that the entire thing is inappropriate.. just make sure you say why Wink.

[EDIT] Since someone else has taken the step of adding their own vehicle I've added the vehicle I was thinking of having Harris use... just wasn't sure how permissible that would be.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:42:06 pm by ScytheKnight » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:11:12 pm »

Well, I suppose i could post mine too, & let people have a crack at critiquing it...

Name: Professor Percival Jeremiah Van Scagg

Occupation: Adventurer-Explorer/Archaeologist/Gunsmith; Good with explosives; Sometime Inventor.

Appearance: Tallish (about 5 ft 11inches) Late 40's, slightly pudgy, salt n' pepper gray hair and beard, disquietingly-golden eyes, remnants of a 'rangy' musculature. Will probably get thinner as trip progresses.

Nationality: Originally Anglian; now resides mostly in Cornwall; has not travelled in a couple of years, but was once nearly nomadic, and has no set 'permanent' address.

Weapons of Choice: .30-Caliber semiauto pistol (nondescript, could be copy of a Bergmann detachable magazine pistol,  resembles a Broomhandle Mauser; pistol-style blunderbuss with larger-than-normal bore;14-inch khukri; .50-caliber Machine Gun (Maxim-type canvas belt action with sling, and pistol and foregrips). Detachably pillar-mounted on sidecar of motorcycle, on homemade 'windmill' transit action alt-az mount).

Attire: Long Tan Leather trenchcoat of old-style 'motorist' type; relatively thin leather, lots of deep pockets, often containing parts, tools, knives, gadgets, and the occasional hideout firearm. 'aviator' cap & goggles/wide-brimmed fedora;dark brown leather waistcoat, 'duck' canvas shirt, many, many pockets in vest and on shirt; bell-bottomed 'Sailor's' trousers, left leg bound with net-like leather calf legging to keep trouser cuff from fouling mortorcycle chains and belts.   

Rides a low-slung steam cycle (named 'Hildegarde') with so-called 'long-distance' boiler and fuel/firing setup, as well as larger-than-normal rear wheel. Has sidecar, fitted with remote-operable mount for Machine Gun (see above), and a touring-car-style folding convertible top. Isinglass sides for convertible top have long disappeared; replaced with oiltanned glove leather. Carries gunsmithing tools in sidecar. Has been known to set up on the fringes of a conflict and repair weapons for both sides on the spot 'for a nominal fee.' Also often carries some form of explosives somewhere about person, often gelignite bricks or a couple of sticks of dynamite.

Background: Born and Educated in Oxford, in the Anglian Kingdom. Acquired Phd in Archaeology after several years prospecting, scavenging, and stumbling on relics while travelling in the wastes. Found the tail setcion of an Airship and based his thesis on his conjectures about same. Thesis was published after a fashion, and often serves at college level all over the Isles as one of five seminal theoretical histories of Pre-Event mechanical-engineering history -- but he hates that fact (can think of many things he would not have written then, that he has found out the truth of by now). Fascinated by explosives and mechanics since early childhood, has served on many expeditions (both military and civilian) as an explosives technician and expert, and gunsmith; elements of the former Pyrotechnicians Guild (disbanded ten years ago and now defunct) and current Gunsmithing Guild tend to call him 'Rimfire' after his predilection for designing guns using that firing system, or rimfiring in addition to centerfiring in attempts to design 'universal' guns.

Finally grew to be fed up with University life, and left the Institution (Oxford). Was once wanted for Anglian 'escaped scientist' bounty; some bounty hunters still haven't heard that Anglia has 'washed their hands' of him, and is still required at times to 'be deadly' in order to escape their clutches. Fought on the Side of Cornwall for several years as a sort of travelling rebel agitator against Anglia, before 'settling down' in Cornwall's capitol for two years, teaching Archaeology to students who would eventually become 'specialized scavengers.' Recently fell out with the Cornwallian University President, quit his teaching job, and is currently 'Nomading' again, looking to join a Rig crew...
ScytheKnight
Officer
Australia Australia

Mysterious Figure

ScytheKnight84
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 11:46:49 pm »

Ohh nice.. a fellow fugitive from Anglia... hmmm, a former 'consultant' for the Anglia Army, inclined to think that our characters have at least heard of each other if not met casually at some time... although don't be surprised at a little bit of paranoia at first meeting, I would imagine deserters would be hunted a bit more thoroughly then AWOL academics.  Wink
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 11:50:56 pm »

Hmm, both of those look to be solid characters. They don't have any glaring inconstancies as I can see. The game will start, as the last one, in Mercia so any nationality can really be acceptable. But it is true that nationality will play into stuff like interactions with other characters. I'll wait until I get one or two more entries before I get this started.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 12:21:30 am »

Name: Mirium (Miri) Sengupta

Appearance: Around 5'1 and wiry with tan skin. Very long dark hair she often covers with a head scarf.  Sharp blue eyes inherited from her father but her smile is all her mother.  Wears bright scraps of sari with her more utilitarian clothes. often wears smoked glass goggles and a breathing mask to aid during dust storms.

Nationality: Anglian but her mother is Indian. Lived in a secluded natural Atrium carved from a cave in the wilderness.

Weapons of Choice: A recursive bow made of brass that has been in her family for generations, Hunting rifle with hand blended gunpowder shells.

Background: Born to a lovely Indian woman working in a trading company and a helmsman of a trading ship Mirium just before the Event.  Miri was to travel to India to visit her grandparents just as the world fell apart.  All the employees of the trading company got together and tried to sail one ship to safety but found no green land.  When the supplies ran out they found a cave with a small fresh water spring, passages and sunny courtyards a place they could call home.

Miri worked hard and loved tending to others.  She found love early and married young, happily planning her life with her husband Paavan but it was not to be.  Paavan was killed in a cave in and soon Miri soon found her former home too full of memories and grief to stay. She took a boat and went back to the mainland roaming to fill the empty place in her heart.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:35:41 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 08:08:21 am »

Name: Pitivo Heron

Appearance: A bit on the short side, lean, and muscular like a good badger-hunting terrier. Atop his head is a shock of curly hair the color of a raven's wing. His skin, dark from the sun, and marred with more than a few scars. His young looks detracted from by a broken nose, and an ear that seems to have had a bite taken out of it.

nationality: Traveller, Gypsy.

Weapon of choice: 'Molly and Suzie' A set of black, plate mail gauntlets which reach up to his forearms. The knuckles sport cruel, serrated spikes no more than an inch long. At the end of each finger is a cruel hook, used mainly to disarm opponents. He is not completely impartial to the snub-nose revolver he keeps in his pocket.

Attire: Brown pants with undone suspenders, dented greaves, a light scale mail shirt with a white, button-up shirt beneath it.

Background: Pitivo was born a bastard to a woman who didn't even want a child, so as the Traveller practice dictated, she moved the child into the hands of the next caravaner who wanted him. Being the little hellion that he was, the years passed, and he was passed from family to family year after year, until the day of his tenth birthday, where he was given to a caravan guard known to everyone as 'No-nose-Niko.'
Niko taught him to fight dirty, fight like a devil, and fight like a man.
Niko had told the young boy that a man's history is written not with ink, but the scars on his body and his name on the lips of the woman he loves. A man's story is a powerful thing, it can end kingdoms, free a people, and bring the mountains to their knees.
Pitivo left his caravan and Kindly old Niko at the age of twenty one, and went out into the world to find his own story.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:18:31 pm by Nigel Wetherby » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 02:43:30 pm »

Ohh nice.. a fellow fugitive from Anglia... hmmm, a former 'consultant' for the Anglia Army, inclined to think that our characters have at least heard of each other if not met casually at some time... although don't be surprised at a little bit of paranoia at first meeting, I would imagine deserters would be hunted a bit more thoroughly then AWOL academics.  Wink

Perfectly understandable  Wink. maybe they could meet when a couple or more bounty hunters try the pickings in the same bar or something...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 12:21:25 am »

I'm not sure how to proceed; should I post the interview myself, or will someone be taking the role of leader?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: