The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 01:06:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making prop gun?  (Read 4466 times)
AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« on: June 14, 2010, 04:51:25 pm »

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to put this, but I'm contemplating making a prop gun. I was thinking the other night and got the idea of getting a spiffy looking water gun and painting it a brassy color and then spiffing it up with trinkets and such. Any ideas, or better yet, anyone who's done this already? I'd like it to look fairly realistic, but is for use to carry at a con, which is why I thought of water gun, since they're very, very strict about weapons at the con I'm going to. Help, please?

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:29:57 pm »

Try this thread for 116 pages of ideas:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8833.0.html

As for the con, check in advance for their weapons policy. If they don't have one online, email and ask. Then you will know what your working limits are. 

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:33:52 pm »

Try this thread for 116 pages of ideas:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8833.0.html

As for the con, check in advance for their weapons policy. If they don't have one online, email and ask. Then you will know what your working limits are. 

I've gone through their weapons policy and as long as you can't cut anyone with it or make it into a real gun, it's all good. And thanks!
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:57:02 pm »

I built a prop handgun this winter using ordinary brass tubing, copper, brass, and steel sheet, wood, plus various fasteners and solder. Came out OK, and had the advantage of not being identifiable as a modification of a Nerf gun or reproduction firearm. Got one or two compliments at the Nova Albion event. I may do another at some point—you always do this sort of thing better with practice. Anyway, my actual point here is that with a small amount of research and sketching, it's not immensely difficult to make something firearm-esque, and until you build the first one, you will be unable to build the next, and the next, until you build the award-winning Arsenal of Awesomeness.
If you don't fancy messing around with bench tools and torches, there are a number of prop-building sites around the web, plus Instructables. Consider using materials like foam, fiberglass, resin, ABS or PVC tubing, and acrylic sheet and tube stock. There have also been some very good builds here on Brassgoggles.
wreck Garimus
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »

I've done this quite a few times. You can look at my DA page to see what I've done and I even wrote this tutorial if you're interested in reading it. Also the BG thread linked in the first reply is an amazing resource.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:34:44 am by wreck Garimus » Logged

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:41:46 pm »

Damn it, it's such a shame they are strict about wepons at the convention you are going to because I have a vendetta against plastic steampunk guns made from water pistols.
If you want to do this, start not with plastic mass made garbage but with wood and metal, copper pipes and plumbing fittings make excellent barrel parts and you don't need trinkets on your gun if you make a good looking one. But such a thing may not be allowed  Angry Damn them for stifling ambition!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 07:39:19 pm »

I know. It rather stinks, but I'm sure I'll manage. My best friend has an awful lot of prop weapons, so I might be able to borrow one. The con is in.. less than two weeks, so I don't have much time.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

Solutions do not need Problems

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 05:03:56 pm »

Set up:  I am 6'2" and weigh between 250 and 300 pounds.  I am coming in to a convention in my movie quality Klingon garb, with my steel bat-leth.

At the front desk is a 14-year old boy checking badges.  He is 6 inches shorter than am and about half my size.  I have my ID badge appropriately displayed, although I have my name in a Klingon font.  Yes, I was a bit indulgent on my costume.

He says, "Sir, you can't take that into the con, it's a weapon!"
"OF course it's a weapon.  I'm Klingon.  Anything in my hand is a weapon!"
"But-but-but"
Okay, take it from me."
"You'll kill me?!"
At this point, one of the other staff members stops laughing long enough to say:
"He can't surrender his weapon, you have to take it from him.  If he wanted you dead, that would have happened long ago"
The young warrior took my Bat-leth and gave me a recipe.  I picked it up later.  Guts he had.

I really hate when reality intrudes into my fantasies.  Orange tips on my gun-blades.  Sigh.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:20:51 am »

This is exactly why I organize rapier and airsoft and Nerf scenario events instead of cons.  If I'm packin', I wanna be able to USE it!  This is also why, unlike the anti-plastic zealots, I've never really had any problem with steamy Nerf guns and water pistols - at least their owners can exchange "fire."  To me, it seems gauche to criticize another maker's materials while ignoring the functional shortcomings of one's own efforts.  Even the most exquisite scratchbuilt all-metal raygun is nothing more than costume jewelry useful for posturing and photo shoots, but with a scratchbuilt steamy airsoft AEG you can keep their heads down when the situation calls for it.  Ultimately, however, both the former and the latter are just big toys, so perhaps an attitude of tactful tolerance is best lest someone remind us all how ludicrous all of our endeavors can appear when viewed with an intolerant eye.

I have both seen and built some truly gorgeous prop weapons from materials as humble as cardboard, craft foam, PVC pipe, and styrofoam.  It is the guiding mind, not the material, that makes the art.  I say, build what you will with what you have at hand, and display your work as your honest best effort.

AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 01:20:11 pm »

I quite agree,  Gryphon. I'm thinking I might go find a water-gun and try to spiff it up a bit before the weekend since the con's this coming weekend. My character is quite a "ruffian lady" if I might say, and my current lack of weapon is rather wounding. I'll most definitely post pictures if I happen to make one steamy.
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:54:34 pm »

I built my all-time favorite concealable lady's prop gun with nothing more than a homemade wooden derringer-style grip bolted to a steamy-looking cigarette lighter I spotted on sale at a truck stop counter.  Under the farby purple metallic finish, the lighter was all zinc alloy and brass which looked quite spectacular after a good buffing.  There was this little button on the side that, when pressed, caused the bullet-shaped chrome-plated tip to pop open to expose the gas nozzle.  Flick.  So dainty, so threatening.  I wish now that I had purchased the entire box of those lighters....
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »

I would surely be interested in an air-soft gun-blade, but,

I have a Nerf Maverick I hope to paint up, but I use it as a toy, mostly.  My cats like to chase the darts.

I have to say that as a prop, I would use wood, brass and copper.  I would probably make the blade of PVC fore safety. 

A prop gun should be just that.  A prop.  A toy gun a toy.  Occasionally they can be the same. 
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:27:59 pm »

I built my all-time favorite concealable lady's prop gun with nothing more than a homemade wooden derringer-style grip bolted to a steamy-looking cigarette lighter I spotted on sale at a truck stop counter.  Under the farby purple metallic finish, the lighter was all zinc alloy and brass which looked quite spectacular after a good buffing.  There was this little button on the side that, when pressed, caused the bullet-shaped chrome-plated tip to pop open to expose the gas nozzle.  Flick.  So dainty, so threatening.  I wish now that I had purchased the entire box of those lighters....
Gryphon do you have any pictures of this? I too am lacking in the weapons department. My brain just seems to freeze up on the matter which doesn't workout so well for my Steamwestern look.  Cheesy

G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 07:18:35 am »

don't sweat the metal only zealots, they only want to move us all up the creativity ladder.

go ahead and paint your squirt gun(s), in fact, buy a box full of the cheapest, ugliest guns and have at them.

read up on painting techniques and give everything a try. stains, washes, drybrushing, practice them all.

anything can be made to look different with a simple paintjob. learn to work with shapes and the painting will take care of itself usually.

this gun was an experiment to make a light as possible convention carry gun. it weighs less than a pound. its a thin wall plastic drain pipe with the lower part all styrofoam sealed with floor urethane for strength. the scope was made from plastic closet rod and the bits and pieces from thicker pvc pipe cuttings, heated and bent to shape. a few bits of wood and some screws for looks. (there is a giant woodscrew the length of the pistol grip, to strengthen the foam)

doesn't look like much with just a bunch of enamel paint on the foam to make it stronger. its hanging by thread from my pinkie and from the end of a bic pen in the lower pics.

learn to trust your instincts(and imagination) on shapes and hone your painting skills to back them up, you will suprise yourself!
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 09:23:48 pm »

Garingling, I'm having terrible trouble posting pics right now - operating system issue.  I'll dig around and see if I've posted pics of the Steingryphon Lady's Assurance anywhere else.

In the meantime, do you have pics of bits & pieces you have assembled for a possible garter-gun build?  I sure many of us would be happy to toss out assembly ideas....
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 04:59:46 am »

Garingling, I'm having terrible trouble posting pics right now - operating system issue.  I'll dig around and see if I've posted pics of the Steingryphon Lady's Assurance anywhere else.

In the meantime, do you have pics of bits & pieces you have assembled for a possible garter-gun build?  I sure many of us would be happy to toss out assembly ideas....
Sorry about the picture posting problems Gryphon. We have bits and pieces of all sorts around here. I just really need to go pick through and see what might work for me. I have been considering using some of my shop skills and just starting by doing some woodworking to make a grip then going from there. When I get something together I will definitely come here for suggestions. In the mean time I'm always looking for inspiration (I'm always checking out what people post) so I was just curious what the one you assembled looked like. When all is said and done I want to have a mathched pair of sidearms, something petite and one that's more of a rifle. I just need a muse to smile upon me.  Cheesy
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 07:59:17 am »

modify a nerf or a squirt gun by removing the grip and adding a retro looking one.
just a matter of sawing off the old one and fitting the wood a little, when doing a squirt gun.

if it works out, you can continue to add various accessories to the base gun.
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 06:03:18 pm »

modify a nerf or a squirt gun by removing the grip and adding a retro looking one.
just a matter of sawing off the old one and fitting the wood a little, when doing a squirt gun.

if it works out, you can continue to add various accessories to the base gun.
Thanks, I've toyed with this idea too. I think I may feel a trip to the local dollar store for some practice water guns as I'm not too confident in my painting abilities (at least when it invovles plastic).

Of course if I stick to wood and metal I know someone who is pretty good with metal etching  Cheesy
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 10:24:57 am »

don't sweat the metal only zealots, they only want to move us all up the creativity ladder.

go ahead and paint your squirt gun(s), in fact, buy a box full of the cheapest, ugliest guns and have at them.

read up on painting techniques and give everything a try. stains, washes, drybrushing, practice them all.

anything can be made to look different with a simple paintjob. learn to work with shapes and the painting will take care of itself usually.

this gun was an experiment to make a light as possible convention carry gun. it weighs less than a pound. its a thin wall plastic drain pipe with the lower part all styrofoam sealed with floor urethane for strength. the scope was made from plastic closet rod and the bits and pieces from thicker pvc pipe cuttings, heated and bent to shape. a few bits of wood and some screws for looks. (there is a giant woodscrew the length of the pistol grip, to strengthen the foam)

doesn't look like much with just a bunch of enamel paint on the foam to make it stronger. its hanging by thread from my pinkie and from the end of a bic pen in the lower pics.

learn to trust your instincts(and imagination) on shapes and hone your painting skills to back them up, you will suprise yourself!

I do rather like that; are my eyes decieving me or is it a Star Wars blaster? Smiley

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 09:33:26 am »

I do rather like that; are my eyes decieving me or is it a Star Wars blaster? Smiley

It looks to be basically a Sterling sub-machine gun - possibly one of the most awful weapons I have ever used.

Splendid work, by the bye.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 11:06:06 am »

IIRC the Star Wars imperial Blasters were actually sterlings with a bit of plastic glued onto them.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 02:33:50 am »

When Episode IV was new, the rumor was that Lucas used "real" guns as the basis of all the prop guns in the movie.  This was partly to make things look real, adding a patina of "grittiness" to things as well.

I tend to like the art-deco style blasters, like the one from Sky Captain.  Nice, but not Steampunk really. (You won't get any complaints from me for such a device, but again, that's just me.)

you might try dressing up a revolver. 

The Sterling was, in all ways, superior to the US M2 "grease gun" which is not saying much.

Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:25 am »

IIRC the Star Wars imperial Blasters were actually sterlings with a bit of plastic glued onto them.

Ah! That would explain why Imperial troops were unable to hit anything man-sized that was more than four feet away.  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: