The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:36:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you remove oil from water?  (Read 1501 times)
Gorbal
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: June 10, 2010, 07:30:17 pm »

Is anyone dreaming up steampunk inspired solutions to the catastrophe in the gulf? I know little about science and mathematics myself, but I wonder if you dug deep enough into Victorian technology if it might hold possible solutions.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »

Note entirely steampunk but: Extremeophile bacteria that consumes oil and outputs water.

We could remove all the water by turning it to steam? Then we don't have to remove the oil from anything.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 09:54:08 pm »

A nautilus submarine could suck up all the underwater oil, and put it in it´s ballast tanks.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:04:21 pm »

We could remove all the water by turning it to steam? Then we don't have to remove the oil from anything.
A remarkable idea I think, but one of those ones that looks brilliant on paper only I fear Tongue Still, with a big enough magnifying glass surely we could pull it off?

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:07:40 pm »

Yes the Gulf of Mexico is such a small place after all.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:19:33 pm »

I think the question is more:

How do you remove crude oil from salt water on a large scale, under turbulant conditions and continued introduction of said oil. With environmental and biological admixturing.

Usually what we think of as oil, floats on water. Which can be skimmed off and or pumped up. but that only works without wave swells and and tidal moements in stable conditions. and usually with refined oil and not with any great amount of materials getting in the mess.

Evaporation might get rid of water but it'll leave the salt and particulates in the water behind.

I would think some kind of large scale mechanical whaleshark idea could do in a daydream steampunk world. Basically a giant filter feeder that sucks in the grug and outgills the water.

The real solution is to stop the leak.

the utter foolishness of chasing oil on the ocean surface as the solutions is setting tea cups out as a solution to the four foot hole in ones roof.

Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:57 pm »

the utter foolishness of chasing oil on the ocean surface as the solutions is setting tea cups out as a solution to the four foot hole in ones roof.
Should I bring the tea-cups in then?
On a more serious note I would have though if you can go the whole nine yards why not an airship with a hose on the bottom to filter water and spew it out the sides? It could even run on its own filtrate... as long as you sorted out the salt problem...
Gorbal
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 02:03:25 am »

When I began this thread I was under the foolish impression that they were close to stopping the leak.I wonder if some sort of funnel system to keep the oil on the surface should be implemented until they can figure it out.

I was, for the most part, hoping there might me some forgotten technology that might help in this issue. I disagree strongly that is a foolish idea to focus on the cleanup- the oil will be contained at some point but the cleanup with last for a very long time.
NazT
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:25:10 am »

I seem to remember years back that they found a hay/straw solution to soaking up the oil but that seems to have vanished in the mists of time.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:45:30 am »

they say the stuff is so very sticky, what about a floating cylinder that is partially full of water, so that it floats like an iceburg. have the cylinder slowly rotating as its pulled sideways through the water.

the goo sticks to the outside of the drum and as it rotates, it reaches a sort off squeegee that scrapes most of it off and collects it and sends  it onto the boat towing it or to a boat behind. the goo thats left on the drum will stick to the floating goo and restart the process.

otherwise some sort of taffy pulling machine that splashes around in the water, picking up more and more goo as it goes.

third would be a sort of continuous roll of cheese cloth that goes around a roller under water and one above. the goo sticks to the cloth as the water passes through and as the cloth spins over the rollers, a second top roller squeezes the goo off the cloth and collects it.
chainmailleman
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 09:48:06 am »

Hay.

KJ6GOT
Armored Rah
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »

Well, the way I see it, off shore drilling should have never started. Who thought drilling a hole at the bottom of the ocean was a good idea anyway? This is the price we're paying so the fools who run the oil companies could get rich. History has been full of crap like this and it's never going to change, as long as humans exist, there will be idiots with the means to destroy the world, accident or not. It's Humans vs the Earth. Either way, it won't end well for us.
I miss Carl Sagan, but I'm glad he isn't around to see what kind of mess we've made out of this planet.

I had a lot more I wanted to say, but I kept having to re-edit it, for language and such, since I was getting rather angry about the entire situation. Back on topic now..

I don't think there will be any real way to fix this mess, without a time machine and even then, I'd want to go back and torture the greedy bastards who had a hand in all this to begin with. I'll stop with that before I get upset again.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

Solutions do not need Problems

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 05:29:30 pm »

Gather up all politicians.  (All, no matter what flavor)

Dehydrate them, grind them to pulp, and use that to absorb the oil.

If this is inadequate, take all the engineers and technologists who have blocked alternative fuels and alternative power.

(note:  I am not too harsh on the oil suppliers.  They are selling what people want to buy.  It is the politicians and their regulations and corruption that are the biggest obstacle to clean power.  Clean power and easy access to transportation mean real freedom for ordinary people.)

If you need to find a quasi-steam-punk solution:  sic the Vampires on it.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 07:51:20 pm »

teacups or buckets on a waterwheel scooping it all up and depositing into a container ship...

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: