The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 11:59:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap Pocket Watch running fast  (Read 4160 times)
Captain567
Gunner
Canada Canada

« on: June 10, 2010, 12:23:15 am »

I got a pocket watch for my birthday a few months ago, I'm assuming it's a cheap Chinese movement, fully mechanical however.

It runs very fast though, it runs about 3-4 minutes fast per day. My logic is, a watch that runs fast should be more easily adjustable than a watch that runs slow (although that could be completely wrong). What do you think can be done to it?
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:58:54 am »

Have you tried opening it up and moving the "fast--slow" timing lever to a slower setting?

Mad repairman for the ship of the damned.

Captain567
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:52:58 am »

I've tried popping it open right now, there's no obvious lever. I could take a picture if it'd help?
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:59:25 am »

It might, and at least we'd get a cool picture to look at. Wink
Captain567
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:20:30 am »

Wink That was my ulterior motive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apologies about the blinding glare from the flash!
watch_guy
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:57:44 am »

Move the circled part in the direction indicated. Use toothpick to move it gently.

Whenever you're adjusting the timing on a watch, just remember that a shorter hairspring means faster, and a longer hairspring means slower.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »

Those chinese movments are decent, but QA can be an issue, and they aren't always finished nicely.  However, you're right in that most manufacturing problems woudl make it run slow.  Running fast is usually (but not always) a case of the hairspring being artificially shortened.  The most common reasons for that are 1) one of the coils is caught on something, like the regulator pins.  2) Magnetism (which causes two parts of the hairspring to stick together). 

Watch the hairpspring carefully...does it seem to "breath" evenly, or does it look like some parts of it are moving differently then other parts?  Watch the balance as it swings back and forth...does it seem to be moving a lot (180 degrees or more) or less?  Watches will actually run "Fast" if the amplitude (how much it swings) is low.  Next, listen carefully to the sound.  Does it seem very even, or does every other beat seem to be different?

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Captain567
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:30:29 pm »

It sounds to be fairly even

Move the circled part in the direction indicated. Use toothpick to move it gently.

Whenever you're adjusting the timing on a watch, just remember that a shorter hairspring means faster, and a longer hairspring means slower.
I'm sorry, but what circled part?
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 01:46:39 am »

There are two little "arms" that extend out from the middle part of the balance cock (the arm that holds the balance wheel in place). You want to move the thinner one that has two dots on it, not the thick one with only one dot.  You want to move it closer to the thicker one.  That will effectively "lengthen" the hairspring, causing it to run slower. 
Captain567
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 01:05:15 am »

Ah, sorry for the late reply! But I must give you my thanks, that did the trick, right now it's running a minute short over three days, so I'm slowly getting there. Thanks again. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: