The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 07:05:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Dreameater" - Breakdown of a NERF Maverick  (Read 8322 times)
Professor CaT Pardus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 03:35:53 am »

A rather interesting way to be introduced to a forum without being a member, i must admit. While I have read through the thread I must offer a thank you to Jonny for tossing it up on here.  

To the argument of the nerf or home grown, trust me I do very much understand the idea that it's plastic not brass, however I work with the mediums I have available, and that I can afford, in this case it seemed the easiest place to start. I would at least like a chance to defend my own creations  Smiley. I did spend a lot of time just trying to make this not just "another painted maverick" and I do know the general "god not another one" but give me some credit with it, it was indeed the first delving into steampunk.  All art has it's beginnings some where and every creator has his own opinions on the subject. Where we begin and where we go with is a journey with in it's self.

So hello everyone. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:39:53 am by Professor CaT Pardus » Logged
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 04:25:45 am »

Hello and welcome... I am surprised no one commented on the fact that the OP did not make the creation himself... I am glad to see you have arrived to the forum in one piece and have no ill feelings against the good man....

jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 04:26:37 am »

... and I forgot... excellent work on the mod! Do not let anyone tell you differently...
Professor CaT Pardus
Deck Hand

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 10:27:19 am »

Thank you, Jonny told me himself that he had posted this, and made no claims he had made it so no hard feelings there at all Smiley. Thank you for the welcome and the complements.
Vampyre Master
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »

as long as you are making some creative input and not just buying and wearing /using then you are to be slapped on the back

V
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 11:23:15 am »

I'm just starting my first ever modded gun.
I was wondering where to start and the Nerf Maveric Challenge made a decision for me.
I got a maverick and started playing.

My random thoughts on the matter are a bit like this . .

I wanted it to still shoot – the main reason for me to mod a nerf gun is to have something that looks cool but still shoots nerfs – because, lets face it, shooting nerfs at people is fun.
If it's not going to shoot then there's no real need to use a nerf as a base gun.

However, in the course of my design I found it impossible to keep it shooting… so now I'm left with a maverick mod that doesn't shoot.

On one hand I'm a bit miffed with the situation, on the other hand it's still a valuable learning experience, and, if all goes well, it'll still be a nice looking gun – even though it is a broken nerf gun.

In the course of the build I have found a new love for making stuff with wood, copper and brass. I've bought some new and exciting tools, I've found industrial metal shops that offer handfuls of brass and copper offcuts for just a few pounds and I've discovered the awesomeness of the hot glue gun and the dremmel.

My next gun won't be a nerf, but I think anyone wondering where to start should consider modding a nerf gun as their first try because they are so simple to dismantle, they offer quite a good starting point for a handle, trigger and general shape and they are quite robust.
And of course, you get to shoot people with it. Smiley

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
PJones331
Deck Hand

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 03:48:10 am »

Regarding the Nerf/No-Nerf debate,

I think that, no question, built from scratch with actual love and care put into the construction and artistry is always better. But I think that starting out, especially if money and time are issues (as is in my case) Nerf mods are permissible. Especially if it's with the understanding that the nerf mod is a temporary fix until the scratch-built device can be made.
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 12:05:47 pm »

I quite like nerf guns the way they are, but hay do your own thing man....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: