The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 03:58:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Dreameater" - Breakdown of a NERF Maverick  (Read 8318 times)
JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand
United States United States

Did somebody say...."Shiny?"

« on: June 09, 2010, 04:07:05 pm »

Hi guys. I'm a steampunk newbie (like most of the poster in how to) and have been looking around for a gun to make. I decide on the Maverick simply b/c there are lots of references to tutorials and past projects. (plus it's just a classic steampunk-esque gun)
I found this really awesome one called "The Dreameater"

Prof Cat Pardus' Blog

Youtube 360 view videoLQ | LQ+ | HQ | HQ+

I know it's advanced stuff that took around a year to make, but I'm just curious as to how y'all think certain aspects were accomplished. Specifcally:
1) the etched filigree on plastic and paint
2) how the barrel was modded to isolate the individual chambers

Any insights would be awesome!  Grin
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:10:46 pm by JonnyPhoenyx » Logged
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »

Nerf guns, not steampunk scince 1984.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:10:49 pm »

So my pipe-and-plunger model from 1982 is just fine then?

Mad repairman for the ship of the damned.

T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »

wow that was fast joe

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:56:38 pm »

wow that was fast joe

Joe can smell a modded Nerf at 800 yards! At 1000 yards if it has cogs attached! Grin

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:16:49 pm »

Yes, it is a modded nerf gun.

I'm failing to see the humor though.
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »

Yes, it is a modded nerf gun.

I'm failing to see the humor though.

Don't mind us... it is a long standing debate over modded plastic guns and scratch built guns, so ANY nerf mod will get mixed comments...

And JingleJoe is our resident Gear Police Officer, so he chimes in anytime plastic, glue, or broken watch parts are involved. Please take no offense from any comments made here...

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

-Jerry

Mr. Hatchett
Zeppelin Admiral

Unnaturalist

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:59 pm »

Those pipes are part of the original construction; he just exposed them by removing the outer shell of the part.  As far as the other techniques used, the piece is also posted at Deviantart, and the artist seems to reply to comments and questions.  Ask him!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:37:49 pm by Mr. Hatchett » Logged

When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish.
JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:14 pm »

Don't mind us... it is a long standing debate over modded plastic guns and scratch built guns, so ANY nerf mod will get mixed comments...

And JingleJoe is our resident Gear Police Officer, so he chimes in anytime plastic, glue, or broken watch parts are involved. Please take no offense from any comments made here...

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

-Jerry

Thank you sir! (I thoght I might have offended somebody w/o knowing it).
I'm completely new to Steampunk and only found out what it is at A-kon this past weekend.
I am also of the opinion that making a weapon/other piece from scratch does indeed require much more skill and can be seen as "better" in many ways. But, we all have to start somewhere and modding has it's own set of challenges.

Those pipes are part of the original construction; he just exposed them by removing the outer shell of the part.  As far as the other techniques used, the piece is also posted at Deviantart, and the artist seems to reply to comments and questions.  Ask him!

Indeed I did, sir! I'm still awaiting a reply, so I thought I might post it on the forums to see what others had to say. Smiley

Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:33:03 pm »

So my pipe-and-plunger model from 1982 is just fine then?

According to Joe, yes. Yes it is.

Now we all have to mod pre-1984 nerf guns, and stick gears and valves ad things on them to make them steampunk.

After all, any modded pre-1984 nerf gun is steampunk, isn't it?  Grin

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 12:31:41 am »

After all, any modded pre-1984 nerf gun is steampunk, isn't it?  Grin

[sarcasm]Yes.[/sarcasm] Seriously if anyone acctually can track down a pre-1983 nerf gun and mod it really well I'll acctually not protest it but I still won't entirely approve of it.

Thank you sir! (I thoght I might have offended somebody w/o knowing it).
I'm completely new to Steampunk and only found out what it is at A-kon this past weekend.
I am also of the opinion that making a weapon/other piece from scratch does indeed require much more skill and can be seen as "better" in many ways. But, we all have to start somewhere and modding has it's own set of challenges.

Then start somewhere better! Start by building something from scartch, it'll be no work of art but you can do it and that is the only way you will ever learn to make anything!
I'm not offended but I want to oppose modern plastic and lack of ambition wherever I can. Nerf guns lack the core, the spirit of steampunk. I'm not good at putting my thoughts and feelings into words, basically in my eyes nerf guns are this:
Stewie Griffin - Marihuana is illegalLQ | LQ+ | HQ | HQ+

You see!? It's like he looks like a hippy but he just isnt inside. Nerf guns painted like that, they look steampunk but god damnit they are the antithesis of steampunk.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:16:41 am »

Then start somewhere better! Start by building something from scartch, it'll be no work of art but you can do it and that is the only way you will ever learn to make anything!
I'm not offended but I want to oppose modern plastic and lack of ambition wherever I can. Nerf guns lack the core, the spirit of steampunk. I'm not good at putting my thoughts and feelings into words, basically in my eyes nerf guns are this:
Stewie Griffin - Marihuana is illegal
You see!? It's like he looks like a hippy but he just isnt inside. Nerf guns painted like that, they look steampunk but god damnit they are the antithesis of steampunk.

JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 03:28:39 am »

Touche. To both you.
Starting from scratch would be cool...When I get my paycheck, I'm going to make my own goggles from scratch which should be fun. but right now, I really wanted to make a gun.
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:09:40 am »

Good morning Jonny and welcome to brass goggles.

You have unfortunately stumbled into one of the few areas of disagreement on this forum, to Nerf or not to Nerf.

First let me give this pearl of wisdom "Something may have been done before, but it has not been done by you". If you wish to make a Nerf gun mod, then ignore the naysayers and go for it. You will learn something, make something cool and have fun.

Some of the contention with Nerf gun mods is an opposition to the use of modern materials such as plastic. Personally if its the right tool for the job then I have no qualms with using plastic. Herr Dokter, who has made some of the most amazing creations of the Steampunk community, uses plastic but is a professional prop maker so the finish item looks like steel and brass.

The other issue with Nerf mods is many steampunks opposition to "bland soulless consumer driven mass production". A good example of this is motor cars, specially this side of the pond. With the exception of a few very expensive sports cars and the odd quirky car, they all pretty much look the same. Sure there's a slight variation in angles and curves, but they are effectively just different coloured boxes on wheels. Modifying a Nerf gun creates the same effect; dozens of Steampunked guns that look almost identical.

As a community I think I can safety say we are opposed to Elitism, instead we hope to inspire people to their best. So as I said, feel free to make a Nerf gun mod and show us. I'd love to see what you can do, even better I'd like to see you prove the naysayers wrong.
JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »

Thanks mouse, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Smiley
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 03:11:46 pm »

Stewie Griffin - Marihuana is illegal

No. This is not a matter for lightning, my opposition to nerf mods is founded in reason and my point is logical.

Also I don't get your american culture reference.

Who was it who built that really sleek looking raygun from plastic bits and bobs? It looked pretty good because they had used things in innovative ways instead of just painting an existing waterpistol or foam dart gun, but then they dropped it and it fell to peices ... wouldn't have happened if they'd used metal and nuts and bolts Roll Eyes
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 03:55:08 pm »

No. This is not a matter for lightning, my opposition to nerf mods is founded in reason and my point is logical.

Lightning? or lightening?

Also I don't get your american culture reference.

Doesn't matter, everyone else seemed to.

Who was it who built that really sleek looking raygun from plastic bits and bobs?

I don't know I usually use brass and copper myself. Except for prototypes.
JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 07:01:57 pm »

....alright. Since this topic seems to have failed and is instead moving in another direction, which metal is more steampunk: brass or copper? Brass looks shinier and newer, but copper gives of an old timey feel me thinks.
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 08:07:43 pm »

Which color is more artistic, blue or orange?
jringling
Time Traveler

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:03 pm »

Blue is more artistic! Everyone knows that!
 Grin

What we should do is let this thread die. You should work on your goggles and start a WIP thread. Then you should start your nerf mod and add it to the "gun" thread that is a sticky somewhere around here...
arcwelder
Zeppelin Admiral

Reverse the polarity!

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »

There is that, but I tend to think that the "goggles and nerf guns" mentality encourages people to follow a more LARPer-esque path. I'm not sure how to go about it, but I think it would be good if we could encourage people into a hacker / artist mentality (at which point if they want to LARP, that's between them and their sense of dignity).

How about this. What attracts you to steampunk? What do you have experience doing with your hands (especially in an artistic or mechanical context, but not limited to it)?
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 09:49:44 pm »

There is that, but I tend to think that the "goggles and nerf guns" mentality encourages people to follow a more LARPer-esque path. I'm not sure how to go about it, but I think it would be good if we could encourage people into a hacker / artist mentality (at which point if they want to LARP, that's between them and their sense of dignity).
I agree! I don't mind if people are just using an old waterpistol they had lying around as a prop but when someone pops up wanting to be steampunk or make steampunk things but they just paint a nerf gun  ... they have missed something.
JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 12:21:11 am »

Alright then. This thread is unofficially deceased.

...and I guess I really need to find my definition of steampunk...kinda hard when you've only known about it for a week and a half.
jringling
Time Traveler

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:53 am »

There is no hard definition of steampunk... There are MANY threads here on this forum that have similar discussions and debates. There is another "temporary" forum going on right now that is specifically for this purpose... I'm a firm believer in doing what you want and showing the parts that fit into the general idea of steampunk here. This is really a great group and I have made many friends over the last 2 years, JingleJoe included...

Spend alittle time looking over all the different areas of the forum. Just as this thread did, some tend to wander, so you cannot always trust the titles...
JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 02:20:35 am »

There is no hard definition of steampunk... There are MANY threads here on this forum that have similar discussions and debates. There is another "temporary" forum going on right now that is specifically for this purpose... I'm a firm believer in doing what you want and showing the parts that fit into the general idea of steampunk here. This is really a great group and I have made many friends over the last 2 years, JingleJoe included...

Spend alittle time looking over all the different areas of the forum. Just as this thread did, some tend to wander, so you cannot always trust the titles...

Thanks. I'll do just that. Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: