The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:56:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: some clock finds  (Read 832 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: June 06, 2010, 05:53:49 am »

I wander through goodwill on occasions and have of late had a project in mind that would involve the innards of cheap analog watches (basically I want battery powered ones that work, so I can put a pretty working clock into something else that usually doesn't have a clock, without destroying a good watch). and One find caught my eye. an Elgin Regulator 31 day wall clock with pedulum and key inside the wooden case of this wally clock. It winds up allright and ticks away for a bout five mins before the escapement stops letting advancment and thus slows and stops the pendulum.

I'm not sure if it's a spring not giving enough spring, or is it just needs a good clean and lubrication.

But that's not all, I went to the counter and got a few watches that would do for my project and a small womens watch that was just so small and the band was an interesting one that I figured that $1.50 was worth having the little thing to look at and maybe use for parts.

Well here I am sitting around today and start looking at them... and the back on the little one doesn't seem to come off, how does one change the batt... click, click, click. No way! She winds up and is now ticking away. She's a timex, but that's all the data on her I can find (other than a base metal bezel, ans s. steel back).

Oh and once I can figure out how to remove the stem  on the other three and if I can get batteries for them they will do for the purpose I originally had in mind.

clockdug
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:17:17 pm »

Is the clock in beat? If not it could behave as you describe. I can't imagine the monster springs on a 31 day clock don't have the oomph to keep going; I'd bet that if it's going for a few then stopping you'll need to level it to bring it into beat. And don't forget the front to back as well as the side to side levelling!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: