The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:59:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Andromeda Effect ~ Alternate Timeline ~ OOC  (Read 6976 times)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 06:13:23 am »

Glad you like them. Grin

Started work on the utility knives tonight, and found that I was farther along than I thought. The metal is shaped and the holes for the pins are already drilled, and they both have a rough edge. Tonight I put in the brass pins and got the wood for the handles glued on, and the epoxy is curing overnight. Used some small pieces of walnut for the handles. Should be able to get them sanded out and shaped fairly quickly, and get the edge finished.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »

Hope I'm not moving ahead too fast, if anything doesn't work, I can edit it.

Trying to set up a few potential/new villains.

The phrase 'Rhassin-Tare' means literally 'Faces-Dark'. Probably not the name of the group, just what the older dragon would have called them, being 'masked ones'. Although it does seem oddly close to 'assassin'.

I put together a (somewhat incomplete) listing of the draconic words used so far. Organized more or less in order of appearance, The words and names with a dash are ones you came up with, as near as I can remember:

Names:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Words and phrases:

Name specialized words:

Old draconic:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:59:00 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2010, 09:35:32 pm »

might want to add 'Mingh' and 'Shrighk,' but the omission is ok.

Brantley's just trying to get the temporal lay of the land, so he can decide what to do. The kinds of things that changed as a result of the rewrite would, in my Opinion, cause minor tremblors in the fabric of time even after the main shocks have ceased, possibly even hundreds of years down teh line.  Of course, whether the tremblor is major or not would have to wait for judgements for at least that long to see if any of the future was affected by the past being changed in such a small way, so only the more immediately noticeable small things would be apparent.

Small things like, say, a pebble being underfoot instead of at the edge of a cliffside path; perhaps it leads to a stumble by an otherwise less-important individual, then to perhaps a fall and a broken bone; perhaps the period of convalescence keeps the person from doing something totally innocuous, that nonetheless sets the stage for a larger occurrence that has far-reaching significance. Like the old example of a warlord waking up with a hangover, for example: the lack of a sedative or headache remedy provided by the slave that trod on the pebble and stumbled and fell off of the cliff, causes him to interpret his hangover as a whole different sort of sign, and the Indo-Aryan tribes go a-warring someplace else, thus changing the tide of history forever. I know it sounds like a real stretch, but its frightening how such small things as physical ailments (like extreme hunger, for example - it led to the fall of Valladolid and the Alahambra back during Spain's wars against the Moors, when the Spaniards offered food to the besieged inhabitants -or so the story goes) can affect the outcomes of wars...

Anyway, that's the scale of things that Brantley is concerned about.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:41:56 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 06:14:39 am »

Added both words to the listing. There are still several words not in there yet and not yet translated, like a bunch of the old draconic/metezoin phrases from the broken tablet. I'm planning to add/update the list later on.

Small things like, say, a pebble being underfoot instead of at the edge of a cliffside path; perhaps it leads to a stumble by an otherwise less-important individual, then to perhaps a fall and a broken bone; perhaps the period of convalescence keeps the person from doing something totally innocuous, that nonetheless sets the stage for a larger occurrence that has far-reaching significance. Like the old example of a warlord waking up with a hangover, for example: the lack of a sedative or headache remedy provided by the slave that trod on the pebble and stumbled and fell off of the cliff, causes him to interpret his hangover as a whole different sort of sign, and the Indo-Aryan tribes go a-warring someplace else, thus changing the tide of history forever. I know it sounds like a real stretch, but its frightening how such small things as physical ailments (like extreme hunger, for example - it led to the fall of Valladolid and the Alahambra back during Spain's wars against the Moors, when the Spaniards offered food to the besieged inhabitants -or so the story goes) can affect the outcomes of wars...

Makes sense, the concept doesn't really sound like a stretch to me. I find it kind of fascinating to think about in historical occurrences and time-travel scenarios, how incredibly minor occurrences can lead to major changes. I really like the way you wrote it in-story earlier.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:38:46 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2010, 05:00:41 pm »

Thanks! I'm glad you l;iked it!

...Uh-oh. I misspelled teh name of teh palace, it's A-l-h-a-m-b-r-a, and I put it in the wrong city:  It's Grenada, not Valladolid, which is in an entirely different part of Spain! Tongue So much for my historical/geographical knowledge, lol.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:35 am »

Heh, it's alright, I found out today looking at the globe at the library that the Philippines are not even in the southern hemisphere, thus probably not technically in the south pacific. (so much for research Roll Eyes )

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm working on plans for where to go next with the story, and I've had a lot of RL stuff going on this week.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:06:45 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 08:51:58 pm »

I have an idea about who might be wanting a nuclear apocalypse and who the 'masked ones' are. I thought I'd ask your opinion first though, since it's pretty weird and I don't want to mess up/kill the story.

A race of aliens that metabolize radioactive material for energy. Their world became unsurvivable, and they need to find a new home planet. (possibly their 'home planet' is one of the moons of Saturn, or Neptune's moon Triton.) They need an environment rich in radioactive material to survive, so they have to either find another planet like their own or create the environment they needed.

They had to take human host bodies (or some other animal that's big enough.) to survive earth's environment. They take over host bodies by biting them with a venom that essentially 'changes' the host's physiology enough for the alien to survive inside the host's body. The aliens sort of 'wire' themselves into the host's nervous system, and use the host's brain to control their bodies, and they also have access to all of the host skills and memories. (The host person is technically dead.)

The premise is kind of that these aliens were where the basis for where vampire legends came from. I thought it might be an interesting angle, but if it's too 'over the top' as is I can do something a bit different.

The aliens cause the host body grows 'fangs', both for feeding, and biting other creatures/humans if the alien needs to find a new host. Because of the way the alien's metabolism works, the radioactive material causes them to literally burn up when they die or are killed. The host bodies aren't immortal, so the aliens need to find a new one ever several hundred years or so. Not all of them came to earth, most of them are still on their home world. Silver might work to kill them because it creates a chemical chain-reaction with the alien's chemical makeup and the radioactive material that causes them to burn up. Neptunium might have a similar effect (?).

Not sure yet about whether they drink blood, I was thinking that the venom would stop the host from producing their own blood, so the aliens would have to 'feed' off of other creatures to keep the host body alive.

I'm thinking they came sometime around when the pyramids at Giza were built, so it can tie it in (sort of) with the time when the martians were in contact with earth, (as Theo mentioned earlier) and both martians and humans* had space-travel capabilities. (I wasn't able to find a definite time-period for early vampire legends.)

*I think Theo mentioned in one of his posts that humans actually came from the martian colonization of earth, but I don't remember exactly.

Again, I realize this idea is really kind of 'out there', hope I don't sound too crazy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:35:55 pm by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2010, 12:40:18 am »

blood- and/or soul-sucking entities have a very long history, and show up in many cultures, some of them with origins much more ancient than the Nosferatu of Eastern Europe (I'm not actually sure whence thename 'Nosferatu' comes, I think it might be romanian in origin, but I'm not sure. If one follows the 'Mark of Cain' mythology and popular fiction, they date would appear to date back to creation itself.

So, I don't have a problem with extra-terrestrial Egyptian Vampire origins. Sounds rather interesting...

Hmm...so the Dragon Corps becomes time-travelling Vampire Hunters...Mingh might actually like that... hmmm...
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2010, 12:56:43 am »

Alright, glad you think it's workable.

---

Hope I didn't go too far with Hawkins escape, just wanted that to lead to something else... I'm thinking that where Hawkins is at the end of the post is about the time, or just before the Airfleet ship shows up. When/where the Beau Rosin shows up is up to you. (Or if the scenario doesn't work, I can change it.)

Sorry I took so long to post. Tongue

---

New Badlands is a term used for the areas that have been contaminated by radiation to the point where they are unlivable. The new badlands Hawkins referred to close to the base is the area used for testing. The town of Los Alamos is a ghost town, most of the people moved to nearby Mexico Wells because of the fear of radiation when the military started testing nuclear devices nearby, but also because of the 'mysterious attacks' that started at about that time.

The aliens, (Haven't come up with a good name yet.) communicate mentally, but not long-range like the dragons. Their form of communication is essentially done by connecting nervous systems, so they have to have to have contact whoever they're communicating with in this way. They can do it in 'host form', but not as well or as easily.

They can tolerate an oxygen atmosphere outside of 'host form', but not for a long time. (probably not more than a few hours)

They can't tolerate direct sunlight in 'host form' for more than about a half-hour without their metabolic rate increasing to where it causes them to burn up, and they can't see very well. They also have trouble seeing in 'host form', in what would be a normal level of light for humans, even if it's indoor light. (Interestingly, I found that sunlight killing vampires was a more recent addition, although in old stories (Dracula, I think was one) it weakened their powers.)

They have a loose form of organization and hierarchy, but most of them work alone or in small groups. Those higher in rank have probably 'infiltrated' most of the world (and off world) governments and important societies. They keep in contact with one another, but not closely. It's only recently (to them) that it's become possible to make earth a radioactive wasteland like their home world, and they've only recently been joining together and becoming more organized. They aren't very competitive, (mainly because there aren't many of them.) but they're not above killing one another over personal conflicts. Most of the time they've been on earth has been spent surviving and learning about it, and probably helping to steer some scientific advancements in the right direction. There are a few 'newcomers' that have come to earth since humans have recently developed space travel, and mostly they're seen as 'inexperienced' by the others.

They have a 'hideout' of sorts in an abandoned mine outside of Mexico Wells, so they can keep watch on the base and the surrounding area. They mostly just monitor radio transmissions, but it also gives them a position to take more direct action if they see an opportunity...

Tony was first mentioned back at the Crossroads as one of Alexis's 'enemies'. I wasn't planning for him to come back into the story, but it seemed like an interesting opportunity. Not sure yet if Alexis knows anything about the 'vampires'...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:13:47 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2010, 01:20:06 am »

But some things persist, we have seen little of what such things might cause, and little is fixed, as yet.

Re-reading, and realized this probably doesn't make sense. What Kithah-Tahl means isn't that things are not 'repaired', but that the possible events are not definite yet.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2010, 04:07:30 am »

OOOOOOOoooo... interesting scenario &c.

I'm thinking Jack, Brantley and Mingh will set out (Mingh and the others arriving at the scene of the aforementioned 'accident' while en route back from their soaring trip, and the others following 'on the wing, ' so to speak) from the base to the 'accident' scene, then from the 'accident,' following the weird trail that seems to be heading from the wrong direction (indicated by some more of Brantley's weird instrumentation), to arrive and be 'stumped', temporarily (how 'temporary' the 'stumping process' [lol] is, remains to be determined). Would that be OK?

(no problem, I think first-of-school-year stuff has all of us on weird posting behavior Wink ).
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2010, 04:42:13 am »

Sounds great! Smiley
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 07:28:32 am »

Tony and the others don't know about the Beau Rosin or the Dragon Corps, yet, and they don't really figure yet that anyone would suspect Hawkins didn't meet his contacts and get away as planned.

---

I thought I'd attempt a rough layout of the area around Mexico Wells. (hopefully this makes sense.)

The highway mentioned runs east from the Arizona Border to Mexico Wells, turns south through the town, and goes southeast toward Santa Fe.

The airport is roughly southwest of town, not sure how far away.

Los Alamos Base is roughly north-northwest of Mexico Wells. The road from the base to Mexico Wells crosses the highway just west of town, and goes to the airport. From there another road goes east and ends at the highway south of Mexico Wells (the side road mentioned, probably).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:39:24 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:38 am »

Is this sort of close to your vision of the locations of things (please pardon the modernity of the map image)?

Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 06:32:15 am »

Yes, that's pretty much what I imagined.

I'm working on drawing a layout for the base, hopefully I'll have that done soon.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2010, 06:23:01 am »

Sorry I've been away for a while, been caught up with RL stuff and other projects. I'll try to start posting on here again soon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:51:46 am by Alexis Voltaire » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2010, 03:12:08 pm »

OK, great!
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2010, 06:04:06 am »

Pretty much anything's good as far as what Brantley knows about the aliens. They can't time travel themselves, (because of the problems with nuclear material and time travel.) but they are a fairly big potential threat to humanity, and it makes sense that AUNTSALLY would know a lot about them. (though possibly not everything, I'd like to keep it a bit mysterious for now. Wink)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2010, 10:42:54 pm »

Gotcha! Hmmm...

Sorry for the lag, had some RL stuff (bills, family issues and weirdness, etc.) to take care of, plus I was ill for a couple of days (the leapin' creepin' crud, caught from the schoolkids -- happens every year about this time Tongue).

Not sure If I should integrate this with whats going on in the Clutch thread or not. That version of Brantley is supposedly pre-Andromeda Effect, so to speak, thus it might be the Drene-Vah he is trying to intercept, or maybe even a completely different set of baddies. In any case, I'll try to have something up on this thread in a few hours *fingers crossed, the folks are taking care of a RL issue and grabbing the computer a lot today*
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: