The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 07:38:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II  (Read 121167 times)
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2550 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:14 am »

after waiting 8 months on assurances it turns out that severe crohn's (requiring highly restricted diet, to the tune of eight acceptable know foods dependant on brands and ingrediants of said food), severe gout (further restricting foods, and having hospitalised me once for shock/hypotensive collapse) and aspergers syndrome do not in fact seem at all restrictive enough to warrant financial aid in dealing with hospital bills incurred by the condition. Despite lack of full time work for over four years and no work at all for the past year.

Eight bloody years ago they were willing to help a bit just on the grounds of aspergers alone. graphic symptom feel free to skip
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suddenly I don't qualify for help! Sure am glad I did charity services a few years back to help you lot out, just so you can pay that bloated tatooed and gold wearing creature (nothing wrong with tatoos and gold if you earn the money for them and don't expect to be fed for free so you can spend government granted stipend on adorning yourself or your bloody cars rims) out front to have a third child while never working a day in her life but a person who accumulates skills and wishes to apply them towards helping the community in exchange for just enough to sustain his life will have to do it on his own.

What exactly am I paying my taxes for if I don't get to depend on help when I need it. I sure as hell aint gonna be likely to live to retire at this rate. I'll be luck to make it past 55. And if I do it won't be much of a life.

I honestly feel your pain.  Don't have chron's but have a rare genetic phosphate imbalance (XLH for those that want to google it) that results in all manner and variety of pain.  The meds for the XLH create digestive problems and high blood pressure, and over the last 5 years I have developed severe gout.  No one is sure if the gout is related to the meds or a direct result of the XLH, but about 1 in 10 XLH people end up with gout symptoms.  Two weeks ago I had a particularly bad flare that affected both feet, my right hip, my right hand, and I think a couple of vertebrae in my back.  Never had a flare that bad and it lasted almost a week.  Allopurinol doesn't do much to keep the flares in check, and with the complications from the XLH, the only other gout med I can take is colchicine, which is about like taking chemotherapy.  And of course, colchicine does absolutely nothing for the pain so I was popping enough Vicodin and/or Norco to kill a horse just to keep the pain tolerable.

My Gahh from last night:  Just about to get in bed, stop to fluff my pillow and step on a shard from a broken pocket watch crystal that somehow escaped the vacuum cleaner.  Embedded it 1/4" deep into my foot, blood going everywhere and since my joint motion is limited by effects the aforementioned XLH, I couldn't reach the bottom of my foot to remove the broken shard of glass.  So 10:30 at night I'm on the phone to my mother asking for help removing broken glass from my foot.  Thank God they only live about mile away.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #2551 on: April 08, 2011, 04:37:46 am »

<Snip>

For what it's worth, my brother and his family are going through something similar.  He's got the gout in his feet really, really bad (so much so he can hardly walk some days), and high blood pressure.  Their daughter (my niece) has a rare genetic condition called Tuberous sclerosis complex, which in a nutshell means she has little tubers throughout her body (kidneys, heart, brain, liver, etc) causing all kinds of problems.  I hope you fair better than they have thus far-and for Chrissake, get better, man!  You have my best wishes, thoughts, and prayers.

<SNIP>

Actually, the reason I posted twice was because I had not realized it posted the first time (maintenance mode popped up instand of the usual back to the thread), aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I was drunk the second time around...  (yeah, I, uh, kinda drink my stress away...)  So, I have learned two things from that alone:  A) Avoid forums when drunk, and B) always scroll back up to my last post-regardless if I've read the ones between or not-just to make sure it either did (or did not) post.

Long story short, that post was more of me getting it off my chest, to help me clear my head as it were.  I will look for a group in my area though-you're right, it  may not cure me (I doubt that's possible), but it damn sure might help me.

Once I get my own head on straight, I'll be better prepared to help others going through the same type sh*t.  Hell, I'm already a *sort of* speaker for recovering acid users.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank you, thank you, thank you, wholeheartedly, and from the bottom of my heart.  The advice and words you gave have not fallen on deaf ears/blind eyes (I know my response may seem otherwise-but in writing back, and getting those words out-that in and of itself has gained me some small level of peace).  I know it's not exactly coherient (it's more like stream of consiousness), but then again, when it comes to my mind, nothing really is!

<Snip>
T.

Chin up mate ... we're pulling for ya.  
T. + B.

I will be sending you the PM shortly after posting this-and I thank you!

There are so many members of this forum who can probably relate to your symptoms. And don't you mean loaded RAYgun?

/comfortingandmood-lightening!

And my inbox is open to any and all of them!  I may be broken, but I'm a damn good listener, if anyone needs it, or a shoulder to cry on.

And no, no rayguns...  I prefer black powder-I like the sulfer smell! Cheesy

Reading back over all this...  It's about as organized as a barrel of fishhooks.  Ah well, to sum it all up:  Thank you all, very very much.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:42:06 am by Xenos » Logged

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #2552 on: April 08, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »

Got a bollocking today off my boss...why?
I ordered our regular delivery of 50 rolls of cable. The price has gone up...by 40 pence per 100 m
It is now the princely sum of £10.20 per 100m. We charge it out at £20. Our other supplier sells it at £18. And he bollocks me because we are now charged 40p more than two months ago. WTF!!!
We can't work without it. What does he expect me to do?? GGaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!11

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #2553 on: April 08, 2011, 09:37:45 pm »

GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! As a federal employee, I have been watching with baited breath to see if Congress would get their heads out of their fourth points of contact and pass some kind of spending bill... but alas, to no avail. So my wife and kids are going to have to live off of 1/4 months' pay until they get their s#!t straight. Oh, and I was just informed that if I were to die out here in Iraq, my wife would again have to wait until Congress pulls their act together before she got my death benefits! THANKS A LOT, CONGRESS! GAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

/rant
-Jake

Edit (Saturday morning): Thank you, Congress, for getting your shit straight and not shutting down the entire government for an indefinite period of time. Now, if you could please let Finance know that they are paying us our normal checks instead of just 1 weeks' pay, I would appreciate it!

-Jake
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:48:08 am by wrenchhead » Logged

Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #2554 on: April 08, 2011, 09:38:34 pm »

and turned the thermostat down to less than zero..and the f*ckers are all on full blast!! It's making it so hot in my bedroom at night I'm finding it really hard to sleep and  I could grow orchids in my front room!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

This may be the problem, some boilers have an anti frost setting which is activated of the thermostat is set too low... mine does the same thing... personally, switch the boiler off until I need it ....

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2555 on: April 08, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »

and turned the thermostat down to less than zero..and the f*ckers are all on full blast!! It's making it so hot in my bedroom at night I'm finding it really hard to sleep and  I could grow orchids in my front room!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

This may be the problem, some boilers have an anti frost setting which is activated of the thermostat is set too low... mine does the same thing... personally, switch the boiler off until I need it ....

I had considered that, Sir A, but if i do I won't have hot water when I need it ..like first thing when I get up.

Today's gaaaah is the adminisrative dept of Fairfield General Hospital in Bury. My 83yr old mother (who's in the early stages of Altzheimer's) had another fall back in February and badly damaged her knee. She was in the Fairfield with her leg in a cast for a couple of weeks and wasn't liking it at all so until the cast comes off I arranged for her to stay in a residental care centre. Two weeks after she had been there I asked one of the staff if she knew when the cast might come off. Turns out that no one at the hospital had made a note that my mother had a cast on her leg!! So no appointment had been made for her to go back to the fracture clinic. So they inform the hospital of this and an appointment was made for mum to go to the fracture clinic  on Fri  March 25th. Come the 25th she's all ready to go..and no one from the hospital  has booked an ambulance to take her there!! The care home phones the hospital and it transpires the doctor who would have be seeing her had actually  had her appointment down as Mon April 4th!
 On Sat 26th The Countess and I drive to Bury from London to see mum. We go to her house and  while checking her mail find a letter from the hospital..containing the details of her appointment..on Thurs 7th! So The Countess phones the hospital to confirm it and arranges the ambulance booking for Thurs morning at 9am. My mum is getting really antsy and depressed about getting the cast off soon and desperately wanting to go home so we've been trying to boost her spirits by  reminding her about the appointment and the chance that the cast may well be coming off. So yesterday she's all ready to go at 9am. The ambulance turns up and takes her to the fracture clinic where she's left waiting for a couple of hours before being told "Oh we don't have all you notes here so we can't  see you..you'll have to come back next Thursday".

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:54:34 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #2556 on: April 08, 2011, 10:26:46 pm »

Gah, too tired, sorting through the past few years stuff is taking longer than I thought. I'm amazed at how many sketches, designs, and doodles I seem to have created in that amount of time. I'm sure its several times as much as normal. Room is still a tip and only halfway through, 3 binbags full of useless doodles already.

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #2557 on: April 09, 2011, 12:00:50 pm »

Cleaned out my refrigerator this morning. Dumped out what I thought was a jug of milk, only to find at some point it had turned to cottage cheese.

My whole apartment reeks now, and it's too cold outside to open a window- though I may do it anyway, just so I can breathe again...

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #2558 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »

My Ex has just texted me to say the person he's been seeing [news to me] will be moving in as of next week.

I mean, surely there's less drastic ways of getting one's ex-girlfriend to move out of your house at short notice??

BTB, anyone know of any cheaping housing in this area that's available ASAP?

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
The Kernel
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

Nutty Scientist

« Reply #2559 on: April 09, 2011, 10:02:39 pm »

Today's gaaaah is the adminisrative dept of Fairfield General Hospital in Bury.

Capt Dirigible - may I strongly suggest a chat with the PALS officer (Patient Advice and Liason Officer)
This episode has not only seriously inconvienienced you and your mother but also wasted a lot of hospital staff time reducing availabilty for other patients too.
Usually the only way to prevent it happening is to alert the right people (and no-one else will report it).
The PALS telephone number is on the hospital (and PCT) website.

My GAAAAAAAAH
I spent the day pressure washing the paths around my house, wearing ear defenders.
I was caught out by the sun and have burnt my head.
Due to a lack of hair the front and back of my head is bright red with a white stripe over the top.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

One for whom the terms GEEK and NERD are considered great compliments
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2560 on: April 09, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »

Capt Dirigible - may I strongly suggest a chat with the PALS officer (Patient Advice and Liason Officer)
This episode has not only seriously inconvienienced you and your mother but also wasted a lot of hospital staff time reducing availabilty for other patients too.
Usually the only way to prevent it happening is to alert the right people (and no-one else will report it).
The PALS telephone number is on the hospital (and PCT) website

Kernal, I'm indebited to you for that very helpful advice, thank you.
LascielsShadow
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2561 on: April 10, 2011, 01:35:51 am »

My GAH for the day: finding a discrepancy in my account balance whilst out today and coming home to check online only to discover that some bastard has gotten my card number and bought a pair of baby shoes (!?) which were to be sent someplace in Wisconsin. Huh I live in Maryland. Luckily, the company they were purchased from were extremely helpful and have cancelled the order and will be refunding my money, as well as placing a stop on that number so that nothing else can be charged to it. I will be getting my money back in full, but still, GAHHHH! I am never, ever careless with this card/number, so I've no idea how anyone got it. (To make it even better/worse, it's an unemployment benefits card, so I'd *really* never muck around with the thing-it's the only money of my own I have at the moment.)
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #2562 on: April 10, 2011, 02:04:59 am »

My uncle roasting a lamb, in a bath robe, and only afterwards taking a shower. Everything about this man makes me GAAAH and I wish he'd get the hell out of my house Angry
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #2563 on: April 10, 2011, 09:22:58 am »

My Ex has just texted me to say the person he's been seeing [news to me] will be moving in as of next week.

I mean, surely there's less drastic ways of getting one's ex-girlfriend to move out of your house at short notice??

BTB, anyone know of any cheaping housing in this area that's available ASAP?

I know of cheap housing in *MY* area, but unfortunatly that does you precious little good (My door is usually open to people in need-the guest room is quite nice!), since you're across the pond an' all...  Best of luck with the search, at any rate!

My Gaaaaah:  Waking up after taking those sleeping pills, I feel like I am on crystal meth (not that I've ever been *on* crystal meth...  Me?  Noo!  NEVER!  >.>).  Had the jitters all day yesterday, munchies, all of it...

That and my parents think I'm a raging alcoholic.
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #2564 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:51 am »

N power, Who have sent me my latest bill, which increases the Direct Debit by 132% despite being for the summer months as compared to the winter, some mistake shurly....

I shall be requiring an explanation.....
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2565 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:57 am »

N power, Who have sent me my latest bill, which increases the Direct Debit by 132% despite being for the summer months as compared to the winter, some mistake shurly....

I shall be requiring an explanation.....

A few month back we recieved an electric bill from our supplier that was a 130% and the following month was 200% increase. We tried to get explinations and find out how we had such increases with one third fewer people and one of those people working 48 hours a week and going up north each weekend to worl 32 hours.

They sort of just made excuses and made it out to be a big mystery. Then the next month the bill was back to what it was about a year ago and there was a quitely marked refund of some 40$ and this month the bill is coming up as the cheapest we've ever had it.

something smells a bit off. So my advise is make it clear you are going to be riding them until the cost is fully accounted for.

Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #2566 on: April 10, 2011, 10:46:30 am »

So my advise is make it clear you are going to be riding them until the cost is fully accounted for.

I have a even easier plan... Stop the Direct Debit and then I can pay them when want. After all it MY money they want... 
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #2567 on: April 10, 2011, 10:59:44 am »

Neighbours, one at two thirty AM shouting down the phone, then a few minutes later another one yelling at her boyfriend (and boy can this gel yell), then at 6AM somebody playing a cheap keyboard and singing, badly.

When I was growing up, a neighbour liked to play doleful Russian ditties on her squeezebox. At two in the morning. At least she could play.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #2568 on: April 11, 2011, 04:09:56 pm »

The weather has turned from balmy summer season to monsoon season in about 3 mins and I didnt bring a coat to work or a brolly

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #2569 on: April 11, 2011, 04:11:59 pm »

FFS! Am I the only person in our place who appreciates that, in order for a database to be accurate, accurate information needs to be entered from the outset?
I mean, it's not rocket science....or is it?

Gaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2570 on: April 11, 2011, 04:39:17 pm »

The weather has turned from balmy summer season to monsoon season in about 3 mins and I didnt bring a coat to work or a brolly

There's due to be an 8 to 10 degree drop in temperatures in London tomorrow. After the pleasant and, apparently, unseasonal warm spell of the last few days.

My Gaah! is that every time the temps drop the bugs and viruses go into temporary hibernation only to re-awaken when the needle rises again.

According to my doctor the constant ups and downs of the weather in the last couple of years accounts for the epidemics of 'flu' and other similar unpleasanties. This together with modern parents not letting thier children 'go play outside' or get remotely dirty, thus them not developing natural immunities, means the number of infected people wandering around is at an all-time high.
 And they say that the anti-biotics are no longer working due to over use and over prescription.

Facemasks? The new goggles?

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2571 on: April 11, 2011, 04:57:58 pm »

Facemasks only block the biggest of bacteria, and very quickly become a breeding ground for all sorts of nasty things. Can anyone say airtight bubbles?
~Longeye~

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #2572 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12:19 pm »

Well, after traipsing around every plumbing supply shop and store in Lincoln looking for 3-4 mm copper pipe/tubing, I can now safely say I want to shoot them all in the head. A bunch of more inept, time-wasting, clueless, mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers I would struggle to meet (apologies to those of you working in either plumbing or hardware stores). I have now just ordered 10m of the stuff off the internet for a grand total of £12 (they didn't sell smaller lengths). I can see an end of term project for my Yr 6's, just to get rid of the rest of it!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:02:52 pm by Major Wolfram Quicksilver » Logged

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2573 on: April 12, 2011, 08:52:09 pm »

Give each student 200 mm of the stuff, and say "applying what you have learned this year, make something interesting out of this." Tell the school you are "encouraging creative thinking". Bonus points if you teach Medieval Literature or Economics.

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #2574 on: April 12, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »

Give each student 200 mm of the stuff, and say "applying what you have learned this year, make something interesting out of this." Tell the school you are "encouraging creative thinking". Bonus points if you teach Medieval Literature or Economics.

200 mm sounds about the right length needed.  I posted this in the 'Things that made you happy' thread:
http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/thermo.html#boat
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: