The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:11:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What *isn't* Steampunk  (Read 10933 times)
steamtastic
Snr. Officer
England England

"It starts with S and ends in PUNK..."

« Reply #175 on: August 24, 2010, 11:11:53 am »

I think that the most un-steampunk thing would have to be a factory itself. The source of mass-production...

What's un-steampunk about mass-production?

Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:55 am »

I factory can be SP but it might make things that aren't.
Or a factory might not be SP but it might make things that are.

Some things aren't inherently steampunk, but would be used be steampunks.

Some things are very steampunk, but I can't imagine that any adventurer or skypirate would bother with them when a non-sp version would work just as well.
e.g. A steampunked fully automated mechanical soup spoon.

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2010, 11:49:30 am »

Got to agree with you chaps.  The factory is the epitome of Victorian invention and economies of scale in production are at the heart of the industrial revolution and the rapid technological advances during the nineteenth century.  The Victorians were keen to develop quicker, cheaper and less labour intensive ways to produce goods for the rapidly developing markets of the world.

The major difference though is a mindest one.  The Victorian factories were set up to provide quality items which would last.  The concept of a disposable society was pretty much non existant.

Mass production is good if quality is the end result.

Mass production of cheap disposable products of little intrinisc value and no durability  is less so.  

(Mind you some of those cheap mass produced items are popular as raw materials for modern steampunks.) Grin

Nerf maverick anyone?

BE SPLENDID!
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:42 pm »

Some items deserve to be handmade by a craftsman and are better for it.
Some are better being made by a machine.
And some items you wish were in the former statement, but are in the latter.

A handmade pocketwatch is a wonderful thing, but precision machine cut gears will keep much better time.
A wonderful handmade gun may be a thing of beauty. But there's a reason why the mass produced AK47 is the most prolific gun of all time.
You may lust after a handmade 1958 Jaguar XK150, but it’s a lot easier to find spare parts for a 2006 Ford.

If you have a crew of 12 on the airship it makes a lot of sense for them all to have the same weapons so they can swap ammo and spare parts.

There's also something fantastic about the engineering involved in designing an item for mass production. Designing something that can be made from 3 rather than 5 stamps on the metal press. Making sure that bolt holes and screw holes are always in easy to reach places. Reducing and eliminating parts that are hard to shape.
Designing something that can be used by left and right handed people of any size or shape.
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2010, 04:40:51 pm »

If you have a crew of 12 on the airship it makes a lot of sense for them all to have the same weapons so they can swap ammo and spare parts.

if not all the same weapon, then 2 or 3 basic types for that exact reason.

a basic armory should have a mix of long range weapons, short range weapons and sidearms, as well as maybe 1 or 2 BFGs laying about. everyone should know how to use everything but it stands to reason that people would develop favorites.

for instance, pirates (real pirates) would have had a mix of weapons like this, sometimes they would have 2 or 3 different long range weapons and pistols laying about that they had plundered from different ships, however; many pirate captains wrote about a need to "size" their firearms, what this meant was that they would leave behind guns which were not the same calibre as other weapons they had. this would allow them to somewhat 'standardize' their ammunition if nothing else.

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2010, 07:38:13 pm »

Allow me to clarify then...

Modern factories, which lack steam, or hand made items...
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2010, 10:03:48 pm »

I think a factory of any stripe is never going to be that far away from steampunk, by definition.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »

I suppose it rather is like claiming the Goodyear Blimp isn't steampunk...  It is an interesting "gray area".

- Maximilian
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2010, 10:48:32 pm »

Anything *can* be steampunk, if they are modded to fit the aesthetic...

I would have to say that condoms...are not steampunk.
I wish my parents were steampunk so I could use this argument whenever I have to tell them I got my girlfriend pregnant...but they are not steampunk, so it wont work...

P.S I didnt actually get my girl pregnant...

The Victorians had Condoms, though they were more about protecting the man than the woman. An electrified condom would definately be Steampunk!

(OH Hell, Now I am trying to figure out how a steam driven condom would work!)  Undecided
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:26 pm »

I wish my parents were steampunk so I could use this argument whenever I have to tell them I got my girlfriend pregnant...but they are not steampunk, so it wont work...

The Victorians had Condoms, though they were more about protecting the man than the woman. An electrified condom would definately be Steampunk!

(OH Hell, Now I am trying to figure out how a steam driven condom would work!)  Undecided

It would be an excellent contraceptive as no woman would let you near them Smiley

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2010, 10:58:51 pm »

LOL  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2010, 04:27:38 am »

I recall seeing a steam-powered, er, "marital aid" around here a year or two back which used a Tesla turbine as the motor. As I recall, the use of steam made the device dangerously hot, so the young woman who constructed it was considering switching to compressed air.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Merkk
Officer

Go Science!!!

« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2010, 08:15:07 pm »

I put a gear on a car.

Steampunk?  or not Steampunk?

Discuss.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:05:05 pm by Merkk » Logged
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2010, 09:30:51 pm »

Steampunk?  or not Steampunk?

Discuss.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What kind of question is this, what year was that car made?  The photo isn't even sepia.

Visit my Facebook page Jason's Gems Jewellery at jasonsgemsjewellery
or my website Jason's Gems
Steamboater
Swab

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2010, 03:53:26 am »

Hi: New to this and couldn't gte pics to load directly from here so I gave the link. SOmeone ays I should close the threar etc so close it ok and thanks as I just don't understand how to get the pics on here except for the link I posted. It was for the Saniglas Eye Protector. Steamboater
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: