The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:25:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mashpunk  (Read 1407 times)
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:17:00 pm »

I coudn't decide on what forum to place this in - Aural-Oculer appeared to be suitable, but so did Textual... so I decided on this one.

Simply, does anyone know of any mashpunk, that is part Steampunk, part Cyberpunk, part Biopunk, part Diesalpunk, part Elfpunk, part Clockpunk... hard Science backing, preferably.

If not, then I may well have to write down the dystopian vision of a global failed state that has been occupying my fantasizing time recently.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:55:06 pm »

Are you asking for a story with a bit of each? How about Hellboy or Girl Genius. Maybe Perdido Street Station.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:58:53 pm »

I guess I am, partly, asking for a story - but it goes quite a bit beyond that, since it allows mixing and matching everything, throwing in high tech gadgetry with clockwork aircraft, that can only be controlled by biologically enha...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:03:50 pm »

Sounds like it would be a terrible mess. You could look at that Leviathan story, with the really cool illustrations. I don´t remember the author´s name.
Uploaded Lobster
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Phylum: Arthropoda; Class: Victoriana

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:22:06 pm »

*whips out handy copy of Leviathan, with the nifty illustrations*

The author would be a Mr. Scott Westerfeld. A fun read.
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:41 pm »

Erm, Tankgirl anyone?

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:44:18 pm »

A terrible mess? Is that because Some Things Were Not Meant To Meet?

I suppose... it's hard to articulate, but perhpas explaing my dystopian vision might work. Imagine a basic collapse of government, exept with Megatainment corporations gaining control. So far, a normal cyberpunk story. However, what if the government, on its way out, manages to mess up the infrastructure, so these corps don't have the control they normally get? Everyone's without electricity, plumbing, and gas - a typical TEOTWAKI situation. But due to the slowness of the collapse, the general Steampunk ethos has managed to sweep across the planet, despite many people still being addicted to the Megatainment corps products, who have managed to keep their gaming systems running - the modern equivilent to drowing out your sorrows with drink. In the shadows, some groups manage to retain modern technology, saved from the governments eco-purges, and form the classic backstreet vendors.

Thrown into this mix are the biohackers of today and the near future, who continue to experiment in the shadows, creating bizzare and terrifying new forms of life. Which includes parasites that give rise to all sorts of fearful entities, prowling the streets at night... on the flip side, the powers granted to humanity more than compensate for the lower standard of healthcare. In other places, tinkerers have been freed from government legislation and are turning their eyes skywards once more, with the use of clockwork motor-gliders, airships, and even the occasional ornithopter.

Some, seeing the changes that have been wrought on their society by the double edged sword that is technology, have decided to throw away the sword, living out their lives with as little tech as they can. Those forming this group are mainly hippies, as can be expected. They'll typically be found in large forest gardens, protected by a specially cultivated wall of plant matter. They needn't bother; they have nothing anyone else would want. Other groups have had little choice at returning to Medievil technology - the people in such areas lack the knowledge to stay above this point.

As the supply of ammunition down, dominant gangs had to find other weapins or risk being deposed. Either way, the cities became, at best, the slums of today. In a few places, the inhabitants have managed to restore order themselves, although the remaining fragments of governments occasionally arrest vigilantes, in order to show how they're "committed to tackling violence in our society".

On the whole, humanity has managed to adapt to the changes, resulting in the technology advancement stage varying wildly from place to place, between the 16-17th century and the 20-21st, with the median resting around the 18th.

There, that might explain some of my mangled thoughts. The general idea is that somehow the conditions have been met for the development of many streams of technology previously undeveloped.

Uploaded Lobster - I'll take a look at it.

Major - Tankgirl? Never heard of it, what's it about?
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:17 pm »

Tank Girl:

http://www.tank-girl.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Girl

The film was a pile of pants.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 08:49:44 pm »

The comic... isn't my cup of tea, to say the least.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:48:48 am »

Edit: sorry for the awkwardly uncontextual self-publicity. I should have check what you searched for before saying anything.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:15:19 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 04:36:23 am »

Its a steampunk ShadowRun! I trhought of that sorta stuff when i was learning of the shadowrun rpg system, essentialy its the return of magic into a super high tech world but he same could be done in your world

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
cyberjacques
Zeppelin Captain

Inventor, Member of the Van Helsing Society

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 05:31:29 am »

Its a steampunk ShadowRun! I trhought of that sorta stuff when i was learning of the shadowrun rpg system, essentialy its the return of magic into a super high tech world but he same could be done in your world

Yeah, Shadowrun would be my suggestion as well.  It mixes all those elements you're looking for, and leaves a fair amount of creative freedom with which you can tweak the scenario to your liking.

By the way, I think your use of this new term, "Mashpunk", is rather intriguing...

"To mewl and blabber about a treasure map, in front of this particular crew, demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic.  And I mean that in a very caring way."
                                                     ~Captain Amelia of the RLS Legacy, Treasure Planet
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 05:35:15 am »

Would a steam-powered potato gun be considered "mashpunk?"

Er, maybe not, sorry...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:46:01 am »

Another candidate category for inclusion in this thread.  markf
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21156.0.html

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:52:30 am by markf » Logged

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 05:06:49 pm »

Wherever did Vagabond get the idea Clockpunk was part of Steampunk? It's no more that than Steamopunk is a subdivision of Cyberpunk - it may have grown out of it, but it's distinct.

Anyway, I'm a Mashpunk person myself. The term itself I derived, sort of, from Mashuppunk, although it has very little to do with the Mashuppunk as defined on TV Tropes. Why can't I have insane Mecha that run on clockwork, while fighting off virtual ghosts who are downloading themselves into peoples brains? The Doctor does...
Uploaded Lobster
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 06:33:01 pm »

Wherever did Vagabond get the idea Clockpunk was part of Steampunk?

I imagine the fact that clockpunk involves a historic aesthetic and a magnificently bizarre extrapolation of technology current to that aesthetic might have been a factor.

I admit that I, personally, am too damnably lazy to keep track of many categories, so for me, whether it be clock-, mash-, bio-, diesel-, deco-, it pretty much all goes into the shepherd's pie of steampunk. Shepherdspiepunk and mashpunk begin to seem like a proper dinner. At any rate, as you say, if the Doctor does it so can you.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 06:57:51 pm »

Where´s the bangerspunk?
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »

Bangerspunk? I know not if it, but it sounds like some dreadful practice found in tribes of savages.
Uploaded Lobster
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 07:05:00 pm »

This thread has just demonstrated a powerful need for a nice brown alepunk.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 07:08:56 pm »

Second reason I called it Mashpunk - I thought it sounded better than Punkpunk, which would cause the Proffesor of Repetition & Redundancy to have a fit.
Mr. Hatchett
Zeppelin Admiral

Unnaturalist

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 10:39:43 pm »

Second reason I called it Mashpunk - I thought it sounded better than Punkpunk, which would cause the Proffesor of Repetition & Redundancy to have a fit.
Oh, I wouldn't worry about him - the poor bastard hasn't been heard from since people decided that "steampunk" and "clockpunk" demanded separate pigeonholes.

When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:53 pm »

Do you know the genre referred to as Urban Fantasy?
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:49 am »

I'm thinking of dressing up in 70's disco gear, Funkpunk? Playing strange games of skill from my childhood, Kerplunkpunk.  Or how about becoming very religious, wearing robes, and following vows of poverty, chastity and obedience; Monkpunk.
Lucius Voltaic
Snr. Officer

I need a cup of the brown stuff, shade of an acorn

LuciusVoltaic
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 12:55:21 am »

Where´s the bangerspunk?

I got it!  Wink

"The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations."
--General Baron Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 04:27:46 pm »

You know what, i was wrong in my last post, my (now finished) rpg do befitted mashpunk definition.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: