The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:49:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How-to get Started?  (Read 2145 times)
Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: April 20, 2010, 01:59:41 am »

Hello Everyone, I'm going to have a Brief Introduction here Before I State my true question, Hope you don't mind.

My Name Is well for Privacy Reasons, Nox Cruxis, I'm a 15 year old Enthusiast, I just love gears, Gizmos and all the like. And have for nearly 7 years. But It has All been a well kept secret to my self. As my 16th Birthday is on the Horizon, I want to just get it out there. I LIKE CLASSICALLY INFLUNCED STUFF. I love the history of back then, And the Fiction being wrote now. I want to influence my life with it, Starting with my room, It my be a slow process, But I know its what I want.

I Want To Start with something Simple, A Lamp, More Specifically, A lamp that has a glowing blue light, Either a tube or Crystal looking light. I Might be heading towards the fantasy, But her, I want to make it my reality. I Have A General Idea Planned, To make it out of cheap tubing, Running the wiring up to it. And Having Gears, Sprockets, and cogs "Embedded" Into it. But, The Thing Is As I'm So young, I have no Experience at all, And Very Little funds. I need The Cheapest possible methods to start. And Well, Ive Already asked my Parents, And their willing to let me try almost anything. Please Help me live my dream of living a Steampunk life.

Thank you for reading, And thank you for your time,

Nox Cruxis.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:33:47 am »

Undecided Stop putting capital letters on every other word. They go at the start of a scentance or on names of people and things.

Two other things come to mind, first;
Take note that sticking gears to things doesn't make them steampunk, infact some of the most steampunk things have no gears at all!
Second, three letters:
L.E.D. Smiley That's a tiny light bulb that runs off 3 volts, they come in all colours (like blue) and you could easily mount one or two or five under a crystal to make it glow Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 03:53:58 am »

Heh, I noticed I am a little shift button happy. Sorry, I usually write in an all caps fashion in real life. (Due to the fact that I'm not that good with grammar when I was growing up its what my teacher told me to do... I regret getting that advice.)

Also I thought about L.E.D lights, But I couldn't really find any info that I could understand on making them work.

And As for the Gears, I know that tacking them on, doesnt make it steampunk. But if I ever got started, I know exactly how I would want to embed them and incorporate them into the design. Plus.. I REALLY like gears, sprockets, and cogs.  Cheesy
Mr. Bertram A. Lisney
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:25 am »

I'd hate to post and not offer any advice of my own, but, well, have you had a look-see at http://www.instructables.com/?  They've lots of light projects from what I can tell.  You might be able to glean some knowledge from them.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!  Good luck!
Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:45:13 am »

That site, Is kind of interesting. I'll take a look at it.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:46:52 am »

Take note that sticking gears to things doesn't make them steampunk, infact some of the most steampunk things have no gears at all!

Not to pick a fight or anything, but I am actually starting to get more annoyed at the posts that say "Sticking gears to stuff isn't steampunk." than I am about people who want to stick gears to things.  Embarrassed sorry  just it's been bugging me for a bit.

anyway,
Also I thought about L.E.D lights, But I couldn't really find any info that I could understand on making them work.

there is little that could be simpler actually. in most cases the setup is little more than a single led and three button cell batteries for most gumball machine led toys, or cheap reading lights. some LEDs come with resistors so that you don't have to worry about running too much through one.

just figure out the effect you want, the power source. hint, sticking either side of an LED into a wall socket is stupid and dangerous, so it's not any smarter to get a lamp cord and try that on an LED.

just follow somev of the advice above and search sites like instructables for led light projects and begin there.

Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:16 am »

That part that confuses me about L.E.D lights is the circut board and stuff. Even with reading the guide I still don't get it, Though I Guess Its alot easier when you actually have the stuff to do it with.
Periodjuice
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:10:36 am »

Well depending on what you want the LEDS to do you dont need a circuit board at all, just wire the 3v power directly to the LED or lampassembly nothing else is reqired no PCB no breadboard, no switch if you want it to run constantly. Oh something I've always wondered does polarity matter on LEDs? see Ive always put them in long end (anode) to positive, I cant even recall doing it differently, funny how that is sometimes, Sooo yeah, Go take the power led from something, an old computer perhaps and use 3 watch batteries or whatever is 3v I think the big ones that are like the size of a nickel are 3v. Oh and havefun.

If you don't understand it, consume it.
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:34:31 pm »

Yep, LEDs are polarity conscious. Anode goes to positive. But don't worry about wiring one up the wrong way, it won't harm it, it just won't work.
You could use an LED with a 1K ohm resistor in line with it, then you can connect it to 12v DC and use one of those plug in power packs...saves changing batteries all the time.  Wink

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:03:23 pm »

Ezra, If I understand what your saying, I could take one of those 12v power supplies, and hook it up to any L.E.D aslong as I use a 1k Ohm resistor?
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:11:12 pm »

Ezra, If I understand what your saying, I could take one of those 12v power supplies, and hook it up to any L.E.D aslong as I use a 1k Ohm resistor?
Yes, I think he (or she) is, it's safer for electronics newbies to use two AA batteries (they are 1.5 volts each so 1.5 + 1.5 = 3 volts) and a 100 ohm resistor (that's an approximate resistor value, anything between about 30 ohms and 200 ohms will do alright) But you can use a 12 v transformer, just make sure it outputs DC or your LED will flash Tongue
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:16:39 pm by JingleJoe » Logged
Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

Alright, Thankyou for clearing that up JingleJoe. I would rather have a one time fee and have a bit more risk than changing battieres every few days.
Periodjuice
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »

I like batteries, as you grow more and more comfortable with circuits make a jouel thief,
Steampunk Headset Hook - Part 3LQ | LQ+ | HQ | HQ+
I like the brass tube for a battery holder.
I mean old batteries are pretty cheap, goodwill has bags of em they give away.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:19:13 pm »

Along with Instructables, take a look around this site: http://evilmadscientist.com/
Plenty of lit-up thingies, and detailed explanations.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »

If you want a decent level of illumination from your LED's then it's best to go for the high intensity types like Luxeons, the 'normal' types will golw but won't illuminate much unless you have quite a big array of them.

The reason for using resistors with LEDs is that they don;t have a linear resistance so you need something to limit the current in teh circuit to avoid overloading them. The downside of this is that it wastes a fair amount of power, a more elegant but also more complex solution is to use a current-regulated driver. This is the best solution for high output LEDs but not really necessary for lower powered ones, LED drivers may also have a faciility for dimming and flashing which may be useful in some projects.

Another option is to use cold cathode tubes, their most common application is in computer casemodding and they usually come with built-in transformers to run of 5 or 12V DC so they're fairly straightforward to wire up.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 08:38:29 pm »

Those Cold Cathode tubes seem perfect! My mind is running overboard with ideas... I need funding. I hate needing funding.
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »

Yes, I think he (or she) is,
That'd be He..(Except on a Saturday night  Grin Grin  Roll Eyes  )

Cold cathode tube!? I hadn't thought of using them. Now I'm getting ideas.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:02 pm »

How is your basic skills electronics? I would suggest (and please correct me if I'm wrong) a couple of good electronics manuals and some hearty practical (remember to light solder the component and wire before attaching the 2 (unless your working on strip board)) would help immensely.

In fact a general book buy list for the aspiring steampunk is long overdue. I'm seeing a lot of smart people, but not a lot of directions towards book related knowledge. Cheesy
Sorry where are my manners, hello and welcome young sir.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:55:35 pm by Clym Angus » Logged

Nox Cruxis
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 09:26:28 pm »

Thankyou for the Welcom Clym, as for my skills with electronics, I have absolutely zero, I have no experience with making anything on my own. Which is sad Im my opinion. And yes a book list would be wonderfully helpful to Beginners like myself I would think.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »

I suppose we'd better get on and start one then Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: