The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 10:21:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Tattoos  (Read 37562 times)
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2010, 03:18:15 pm »

Lady Corsair: your signature is one of my all time favourite songs, I love singing it Smiley

also, I'm considering a paisley tattoo, any thoughts where I could have it done (anatomically, not geographically)?

Lady Corsair
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Professed cook

LiLati
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2010, 09:17:17 pm »

Lady Corsair: your signature is one of my all time favourite songs, I love singing it Smiley

also, I'm considering a paisley tattoo, any thoughts where I could have it done (anatomically, not geographically)?

Hip, maybe, or around your shoulder blade (if it's big)?  I don't know if this would be interesting to you, but I might do a paisley ying-yang symbol, just to make it symmetrical.  They you can put it pretty much anywhere without much worry. 

But find a tattoo artist and go chat with them about it.  They see a TON of tattoos, so I'm sure they've seen a paisley or few, and might know where it would look good.  Size might be a factor too.  Google image search might also get some good results. 

Like this one (from flickr):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2010, 03:05:21 pm »

I got a tattoo just yesterday.
It was to commemorate what I did for Eluveitie, helping them out by appearing on their album.

Not very steampunk-ey. More gothic. But me loves it ^^

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2010, 05:25:52 pm »

I got a tattoo just yesterday.
It was to commemorate what I did for Eluveitie, helping them out by appearing on their album.

Not very steampunk-ey. More gothic. But me loves it ^^

Nice font. Grin

Are there any professional tattooists amongst our ranks, specifically in London or East of?
 I have a Harley trike ridden by a naked vampire vixen covering my lower back but I would like to have the vehicle altered. Maybe to a suped up steamroller or some-such. And goggles added of course. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2011, 05:25:07 am »

this is the lovely young man who always manages to make my evening. he works in the body modification trade, so he always has the best work...

In all reality, "steampunk" is anachronistic, innit? Otherwise it's just Victorian dress-up.

chain smokin', sleep needin', apparel designin', mohawk havin', tea drinkin', steady cursin', boy charmin', card readin' rabble-rouser and amusement park cleverly disguised as a woman

TS245
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2011, 03:30:48 pm »

Newest work in progress:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The feathers will be colored to look like glass, and the mechanical parts- naturally- done in shades of brass and steel. Makes my poor compass look rather faded in comparison so I'll have to get that touched up too...

See below::

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:17:04 pm by Polaris » Logged

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:02 pm »

DONE!

Almost.... compass now needs tidied up so it looks as fresh as the wings...

Airship Apprentice
Gunner

Gravatar

Steam is in the soul

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:03 am »

Polaris:

Simply marvelous!
Ryu
Zeppelin Captain

Rawr

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2011, 04:07:22 am »

Polaris, i love your wings!
I've been toying with the idea of getting tattooed wings... I just haven't come up with a design that I like yet.
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »

These were a collaboration between myself and my artist, CycoMike. I did the lines, he did the coloring. He's seriously, a fantastic artist.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2012, 05:08:12 pm »

New book in the Library here I thought  some of you may be interested in..

Body art meets popular science in this elegant, mind-blowing collection, written by renowned science writer Carl Zimmer. This fascinating book showcases hundreds of eye-catching tattoos that pay tribute to various scientific disciplines, from evolutionary biology and neuroscience to mathematics and astrophysics and reveals the stories of the individuals who chose to inscribe their obsessions in their skin. Best of all, each tattoo provides a leaping-off point for bestselling essayist and lecturer Zimmer to reflect on the science in question, whether it's the importance of an image of Darwin's finches or the significance of the uranium atom inked into the chest of a young radiologist.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Ink-Tattoos-Obsessed/dp/1402783604

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
RATFINKBOYMICAH
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2012, 11:32:22 pm »

i like the flower gear idea i been wanting to get a baby blue flower with gold center by my eye that would be cool to get with gear around it as a frame in more gold
A good symbol (like a good Archetypal symbol) will have layered meanings, and, in fact, the observers understanding of its meaning will evolve as the observer ages.

Gear tattoo:  Doesn't mean 'Steampunk'.  Or rather, doesn't ONLY mean Steampunk.
Big black gear...what exactly does a big black gear mean?

A gear itself implies transmission of movement, or transmission of power, or change direction of motion.  Also typically inter-dependent with other gears for function, so then, a single gear would have a meaning different from a pair of gears.

A gear has been used to represent industrial society.  Or, a gear could represents co-operation.  Or something to do with time.

Or whatever, there's plenty to wax philosophic on.
And don't neglect personal meaning, either.  My first boss in the Piercing and Tattoo industry (i.e. the fellow to whom I owe my career, to some degree) used a gear with a flower in the middle as his personal symbol.  So for me, a tattoo of a gear would be an homage to him among other things.

I guess what I'm saying, Wren, is that maybe you could say the gear was a stereotypical steampunk symbol...but unless you rock the gear tat with your top hat and cane, that's not gonna be everyone's first assumption.
It's not a chest-rocker what reads 'Steampunk Forever' in Old English or something.

So if one worries that Steampunk is going mainstream, its value re ethos and philosophy is degrading as the counter-culture is invaded by trend-hoppers, etc. and SP won't be 'cool enough' for ya in the future, but you still want a Steamy tat, design something somewhat more ambiguous, something with room for interpretation.

And don't forget that there's a whole school of tattoo thought that feels tattoos are best when they tell the story of your life...when they 'mark moments'.  So you, Wren, are SP at 24.  You always will-have-been SP at 24, dig?  So you get a steampunk tattoo and ever afterwards point to it and say:  "Yeah, when I was 24 I was all into Steampunk, and that led to these____ particular adventures and experiences."

Basically, when you ask:  "do you think it is more wise to purposefully AVOID blatant associations to any particular social movement given their changeable nature?"

I say baby, EVERYTHING has a changeable nature.  When you're 57, you really might not want that little labyrinth girl on your thigh any more.  Maybe you have some sort of life-changing near death experience with visions related to mazes that changes the meaning for you entirely, and you MUST get rid of it.  There's really no way of knowing, but we're pretty guaranteed you yourself are gonna change a whole hell of a lot between now and then.

Anyone who thinks they're gonna love any particular tattoo or other for the rest of their lives is being a little naive.  It's never more than best-educated-guesswork.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 06:21:24 pm »

Hey Ratfink...um, to stray off-topic for a bit, I noticed your little quote at the bottom of your posts is religion-related...that might not be ok on the Forum...discussion of religion is taboo and against the rules.

I suppose the post-bottom-quote isn't necessarily 'discussion' per se and might be grey area, but it might behoove you to change it anyway to something less button-pushing.

Without any intended offense, it has been traditionally considered an impropriety to mention religion in polite company...

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Ambermile
Officer

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:35 pm »

... err - Dude?
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 06:51:29 pm »

Er...is that directed at me?  I hope not, for it would be laughably absurd!   Grin

If it wasn't, then ignore the rest of this, alright?

My quote mentions nothing about worshipping wolves, and, as I do not worship wolves, neither would I post anything about worshipping wolves, but all is irrelevant anyway, because the 'wolf' in my quote is a metaphor, describing the character of 'Red Jack', who is for all intents and purposes Mack the Knife from the Threepenny Opera...I just rewrote the song using the archaic street slang of 19th century New York...in this particular case, the 'Mack-as-shark' was simply replaced with 'Jack-as-wolf'...

The second verse is:

Mack the Knife:
 When that shark bites
With those teeth, babe,
scarlet billows start to spread.
Fancy gloves has are old MacHeath, babe,
So there's never...never a trace of red.

Red Jack:
When that wolf yams
with them ivories
Claret billows start to spread.
But Jack's a fumbles-wearing-whipster
His mawleys dead-clean
you'll never mark no red.

La.

And regardless of ALL of that, the forum rules forbid discussion of religion.  I didn't make the rules, but they will be enforced, so I was honestly just offering a friendly warning...because I LIKE Ratfink and don't want him scolded or punished by the BG Powers that Be.

In essence:  I haven't mentioned religion.  If you are suggesting I have, your argument is fundamentally logically flawed.  We cannot discuss religion on the Forum.  My intentions are entirely friendly.  Smiley
Ambermile
Officer

« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 07:00:21 pm »

Was a joke.

Ratfink didn't either.

No matter, forget it   Wink
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 07:24:32 pm »

Oh lordie!  You just made me feel SO American!  lol!

With y'all's dry humor and all...no wonder y'all reckon we're dim so often...but thanks for letting me in on the joke though...it IS funny, once beaten through my quick-to-offense and humorless Virgianisms...  Wink
Ambermile
Officer

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »

Arthur  Kiss

Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 03:22:11 am »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Thought this was a discussion about tattoos.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2012, 11:09:55 am »

This is very much my baby, and my favourite tattoo so far, probably until I have the next one will be a chtulhu half sleeve!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »

This is very much my baby, and my favourite tattoo so far..

Sweet!
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »

This is very much my baby, and my favourite tattoo so far, probably until I have the next one will be a chtulhu half sleeve!

So you are going with the sleeve then? I can't wait to see pictures!

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »

So you are going with the sleeve then? I can't wait to see pictures!

Can't decide between the sleeve and three separate tatts.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2012, 02:51:31 pm »

Get a sleeve. All my tatooes are seprate little ones and I look like a freakin' sticker book, which I HATE. Get solid blocks of consistent work done.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2012, 03:08:12 pm »

I agree with Darkshines. Much as I love tattoos I know a couple of women who have quite a few seperate  tattoos scattered around their body and it does kind  of make them look like a tattooist's sketch pad.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: