The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:06:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Tattoos  (Read 37583 times)
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 12:31:58 am »

No, not like that...

Wraste talked to me about it already.
He wants REAL simple.

You know how I have the snakes that wrap round me forearms?  He wants that, but just lines.  So that from any given angle, they just look like thin bands.  Not 'spirals' the way you think about it...more a 'corkscwrew' dig?

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:50 am »

What VG said...

Truth told I'm not going for something specifically steamy.
Have you seen the Rachel Weisz/Hugh Jackman movie "The Fountain"?
At one point he tattoos himself with thin line rings up his arm that are a mixture of tribal styles from different cultures and reminiscent of the concentric rings at the heart of a tree.
I like the idea, but to use a spiral motif instead.

I just tried to draw the beginning of it on my arm with sharpie. No go, I can't draw a straight line to save my life.
Gonna have to have someone with a steady hand to it...

Those are some cool pics on that fella's site. Always nice to get to ogle ink. Smiley
TribalWren
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 12:36:28 am »

Ah bon, ouais I understand! This is how my dancer friend's looks. So really it IS closer to the polynesian style.
A bit more like this but on the arm instead:

http://tinyurl.com/2uw3blt
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 12:42:52 am »

Yes, a bit like that. Without the ogham, thought that was a consideration of mine at one point as well.
I'm always sketchy about the idea of having words I don't specifically KNOW tattooed to my person.
TribalWren
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 12:55:40 am »

Ok found one more picture for you to be inspired by. Not sure exactly what part of the body this is (O_o) but it does show the whole tree rings thing you were talking about, although when I first saw it I did think 'zebra'. (That's z-'e'-bra not zeeeeebra  Wink Tongue)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/3668230487_13dba5d058.jpg

Now I should be off to bed considering I haven't slept for days on end and my right eyelid has developed a nervous twitch.  Grin. Bonne nuit à tous!  Kiss
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 12:59:54 am »

Close. I found a tattoo based on the one in the movie.
I don't want exactly this, but it's a nifty image. Smiley

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Sorry, it's HUGE!)

Sleep well!!
lolliTragic
Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 02:12:29 am »

Be careful with Polynesian designs, you wont simply end up with a word tattooed on you, you'll end up with someone else's family and history.

... sanity is relative, insanity is quantum mechanics ...
Doctor B. Slamin Delanty
Gunner

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 03:53:19 am »

VG,

So here's me being a little immature, but I just got off work and I need a good laugh so I don't snap and go on a rampage.
A gear itself implies transmission of movement, or transmission of power, or change direction of motion.
Are you saying that a big black gear on your butt could be taken to represent powerful bowel movements?
Also, if you really want something big and black to cover your butt and say "if you don't like my tattoos, you can kiss my black ass" wouldn't a huge solid black lipstick kiss be the best way to go about such a thing?
Sorry to take interrupt all of the philosophical discussion with my immaturity.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 02:13:58 am »

Yep, them ass-gears be grinding one out!
Maybe they need some grease?  Grin
H. MacHinery
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 02:28:54 am »

Yep, them ass-gears be grinding one out!
Maybe they need some grease?  Grin

At least you'll always have your ass in gear!
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 02:59:28 am »

Why, it could be grease lightning!
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 03:28:25 am »

My first Steampunk-themed tattoo:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1172/4732108834_e3acc11619.jpg
SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 05:54:42 pm »

Wraste and Wren, I agree. I got my first one a week and a half ago now, and it was for getting into my Masters. That was the milestone I had set myself for it; I had also tried it out in sharpie often, just to be sure I wanted it Smiley

Duscus
Snr. Officer

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 06:15:47 pm »

Close. I found a tattoo based on the one in the movie.
I don't want exactly this, but it's a nifty image. Smiley

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Sorry, it's HUGE!)

Sleep well!!

The Fountain. Hugh Jackman tattoos himself in this manner. One of my favorite movies ever.

Esteemed Pilot of the (recently acquired) H.R.M.A. Hammerfox & Co.
popuptoaster
Snr. Officer

What? Where?

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 06:26:18 pm »

Doc, I think most folks would generally feel that ANY buttcheek tattoos are a horrible idea...

Big black gears are my third 'great idea' I've kicked about...at first I wanted a giant black butterfly, one wing on each cheek.  So I could go up to the hip Bourgie girls at bars all drunk and slur out:  "Hey, that's a nice little butterfly tattoo you've got.  I've got one too!  Take a look..."

Next I thought maybe I'd get a big black Medusa face on my butt...half the face on one cheek, half on the other.  That was a few years back, I was playing a lot of God of War at the time. >shrugs<

Regardless, I want whatever it is to fairly well cover my butt in black ink.
So, if you don't like my tattoos, you can kiss my black ass.

Wink

I've got my old nickname tattood on my butt cheek, had it done quite large and cartoony, its not steamy in the slightest and funnily enough the mates i have that know its there take great delight in telling other people to ask to see my tat without telling them where it is, most people dont seem to care about staring at my arse which i find kinda amusing. Grin

I'm sorry madam, I'm just not that much of a gentleman.
TribalWren
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 12:06:01 pm »

Found a couple of images of 'genuine' (!) victorian/edwardian tattoos. The first one was probably a circus 'freak'  Wink. Love the way she's curtsying demurely with a full body tattoo underneath her slip-dress! HA! (she's so awsome). The second one is of a French woman...naturally! You can always trust our types to be a bit naughty.  Grin. I LOVE this pic so much! And I want the chest tattoo...I WANT it! >stamps foot<

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1295342.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/1295343.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/victorian%20tattoos/sintocarlos/mr_mrs_frank_burgh.jpg

The third one is from Picture magazine 1893:
MR. FRANK BURGH - MRS. FRANK BURGH
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Burgh are Americans, and have been showing the public how tattooing has been brought to a fine art. The tattooing is done in the ordinary way, and the tints are also beautifully assorted - the finish being perfect. The chest of Mr. Frank Burgh shows a pattern of beautifully designed flowers, among which reclines the figure of Mrs. Burgh. The lady's shoulders are adorned with representations of well-known Biblical incidents.

I love the the fact that 'god-fearing' Yanks got tattoos done all over their bodies. I feel that I can now wave this picture in the face of everyone who has told me that my ink means I'm destined to hell and torment...... Tongue
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 12:16:22 pm »

I have my entire lower back covered with a tattoo of a naked vampire vixen riding a Harley Davidson 'trike'.

I'm considering having work done to have the trike converted into a suped up steam roller. I'll give the girl some goggles obviously.

In fact, when I can get the better half to take a decent photo (and airbrush out the spots), I'll post it here for ideas from those of you more artistically inclined.

I'm also planning to have the T-Rex riding a Penny Farthing at some point. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 12:45:19 pm »

I don't have any steamy tattoos.
I like line art too much. It's simple, quick, and doesn't hurt too much  Cheesy

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
TribalWren
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2010, 01:04:21 pm »

My body art is kind of themed.....but I would like to incorporate some steaminess someplace actually. Not wanting anything major unless I can tie it in with my other tats. Was looking at victorian artwork when I stumbled across those pics. I'm planning on getting some work on my sternum hopefully (if I don't chicken out) and am looking for something with line work.

I have a sort of 'natural elements' theme happening...I'm missing fire and was thinking of getting a phoenix somplace sometime. I came across this image (top left hand corner) which seems to incorporate a phoneix into victorian style linework. What do you think of it as a possibility to base something similar upon?  Undecided

http://www.madametalbot.com/pix/tattoo/tattoos.jpg
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 03:41:29 pm »

i have a few tattoos. none of them are particularly steamy, although to tell the truth - neither am i. i've got butterflies, lillies (although to some, that one looks like an octopus - meh), Hello Kitty, bats, Chinese script, a lotus, knucks, a stylised heart, and the beginnings of a full sleeve. the sleeve is the only thing that is remotely themed...

In all reality, "steampunk" is anachronistic, innit? Otherwise it's just Victorian dress-up.

chain smokin', sleep needin', apparel designin', mohawk havin', tea drinkin', steady cursin', boy charmin', card readin' rabble-rouser and amusement park cleverly disguised as a woman

TS245
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 03:46:01 pm »

oh, and i want to get more bats...VG - remember when we were talking about tattooing the flats of ears? how adept are you...
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 08:03:11 pm »

Not the steamiest thing in the world but I met a girl this morning who had two weaving shuttles tattoo'd on her collar bones.

She'd just finished university, majoring on weaving and because she loved the art so much she had them done. They looked amazing and if you didn't recognise what they were, then they simply looked a little like an art nouveau lily design.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:05:48 pm by RoseOak » Logged

Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 09:51:01 pm »

oh, and i want to get more bats...VG - remember when we were talking about tattooing the flats of ears? how adept are you...

I've done a handful of ear-flat tattoos, I'm quite confident with them.  Have special techniques for them and everything!  In fact, to some degree the other artists in the shop with direct ear-flat tattoos to me specifically.

Special note:  The first Steampunk tattoo I did was a couple years back...a little black gear in the flat of the ear.

As far as bats are concerned, I did this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4736088781_e901be4b3d_b.jpg

Granted, it's fairly simple.
We could do something with more detail...but not TOO much detail, ok?  Ear flat tattoos fade pretty quickly, and blur out.  But I'm sure you know this already...

Holla!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2010, 03:34:56 pm »

I have a vampire bat flying in front of the moon on my right bicep. I'll get a picture when I get the wife to 'photo the 'trike'.

I love bats. Grin
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2010, 01:52:52 pm »

I've done a handful of ear-flat tattoos, I'm quite confident with them.  Have special techniques for them and everything!  In fact, to some degree the other artists in the shop with direct ear-flat tattoos to me specifically.

Special note:  The first Steampunk tattoo I did was a couple years back...a little black gear in the flat of the ear.

As far as bats are concerned, I did this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4736088781_e901be4b3d_b.jpg

Granted, it's fairly simple.
We could do something with more detail...but not TOO much detail, ok?  Ear flat tattoos fade pretty quickly, and blur out.  But I'm sure you know this already...

Holla!

why does this not surprise me? there's actually not much detail involved. the bat i want on the flat is pretty much the same one that i have behind my ears. i'm fond of the one that you did though...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: