The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 25, 2017, 01:18:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Tattoos  (Read 37588 times)
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »

This is very much my baby, and my favourite tattoo so far, probably until I have the next one will be a chtulhu half sleeve!
Can't decide between the sleeve and three separate tatts.
Please permit me to ask as question; Why have such a nice Tattoo placed where you can't see it?

If I ever get ink'd (*) I want to be able to see it without contorting myself in front of a mirror.

(*My wife actually offered to pay for me to get a Dragon Tattoo for my birthday this Year. Must admit I was tempted)
Get a sleeve. All my tatooes are seprate little ones and I look like a freakin' sticker book, which I HATE. Get solid blocks of consistent work done.
Is it possible to get them linked up by a chain of some sort?

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
Tiny5th
Snr. Officer

Captain of the H.M.S. Venerable

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cannot remember if I posted mine before, but here is mine, its the logo of my persona's airship, on my right upper arm.

Inventing is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.
Wolf410
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2012, 05:30:51 pm »

but then i guess i have to ask capt. what about guys who have a bunch of different ones at different places and not one big one...mine are i guess what you would call scattered (shoulders, chest, back) so is it different for guys then it is for girls? also i should say that i LOVE tattoo's on women, dosent matter if their all together or all over...still love em

Only In The Air Can We Be Truly Free
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2012, 06:38:41 pm »

This is very much my baby, and my favourite tattoo so far, probably until I have the next one will be a chtulhu half sleeve!
Please permit me to ask as question; Why have such a nice Tattoo placed where you can't see it?

If I ever get ink'd (*) I want to be able to see it without contorting myself in front of a mirror.

(*My wife actually offered to pay for me to get a Dragon Tattoo for my birthday this Year. Must admit I was tempted)
Get a sleeve. All my tatooes are seprate little ones and I look like a freakin' sticker book, which I HATE. Get solid blocks of consistent work done.
Is it possible to get them linked up by a chain of some sort?

It's there because I wear a lot of backless dresses, for one. Also, it's because it's a tattoo I got after a full year of being part of this community, and it reminds me that my steampunk family are always behind me, no matter what.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2012, 06:45:27 pm »

but then i guess i have to ask capt. what about guys who have a bunch of different ones at different places and not one big one...mine are i guess what you would call scattered (shoulders, chest, back) so is it different for guys then it is for girls? also i should say that i LOVE tattoo's on women, dosent matter if their all together or all over...still love em

Well I have three seperate ones..one at the top of each arm and one across my shoulders. It's the  scattering of  over a dozen, all in different styles (trad sailor...Japanese..cartoon characters..'Ray Vaughan' style rock 'n' roll/hot rod...scrolls with names...heavy black tribal...etc) that  just look like a sort of mish mash of all different styles scattered about their body  that gives them the 'sketchpad look' I was referring to.  It's just my opinion. I like tatts on women but I like some sort of 'order' or style to their inking rather than just almost random, individual designs all over the body.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2012, 01:08:05 pm »

It's there because I wear a lot of backless dresses, for one. Also, it's because it's a tattoo I got after a full year of being part of this community, and it reminds me that my steampunk family are always behind me, no matter what.
Thank you, for an honest answer and I do hope I have not offended by my question.
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2012, 05:27:35 pm »

I have been thinking of getting a tattoo lately (by lately I mean a few years). A bunch of my friends have gotten some sleeves done and a few others some back tattoos. Personally I love the idea of the body as a canvas, but I have a huge problem with indecisiveness and being an artist myself, I have the urge to have my own work on me somewhere.

How did folks here make the decision?

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:48 pm »

I have been thinking of getting a tattoo lately (by lately I mean a few years). A bunch of my friends have gotten some sleeves done and a few others some back tattoos. Personally I love the idea of the body as a canvas, but I have a huge problem with indecisiveness and being an artist myself, I have the urge to have my own work on me somewhere.

I think the best advice is to draw something up and stick it to your bedroom wall, if you're not bored with it after 6 months then that's a good sign. It's also thinking about what you might want in the future. Some people like a more or less random assortment of styles but if you do think you want something more coherent then it's something you want to think about from the start.

Also take the time to find a really good tattooist, check out their work and have a chat to them, the really good ones are vastly outnumbered by the mediocre who just want your cash or are only interested in their own ego. If you want to use your own designs find one who is happy to work with that and is happy working outside of their own style.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:24:19 pm by Narsil » Logged

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

I found a thing I liked, and then continued to like it for about 6 years Wink
And in the case of my fairy, I was inspired by Dr Geof himself, but mainly the community. Hardest thing is deciding where to put new tattoos!
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:40 pm »

And in the case of my fairy, I was inspired by Dr Geof himself, but mainly the community. Hardest thing is deciding where to put new tattoos!

Well, as a rather slim person, I am not the best canvas for tattoos. My back seems to be the best place (in my untrained opinion). I know the basic elements of the image, I just need to tack down the style and find a good artist. Then, you know....find some money.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »

Well, as a rather slim person, I am not the best canvas for tattoos. My back seems to be the best place (in my untrained opinion). I know the basic elements of the image, I just need to tack down the style and find a good artist. Then, you know....find some money.

I've found that finding people in your local area/people you know with gorgeous ink is a good way to find a talented artist.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2012, 08:17:41 pm »

In the case of several people I know, alcohol. Not a recommended method, unless you enjoy those "WTF was I thinking" moments.

(One bit of advice you probably already know- Never get a tattoo of something written in a language you don't speak and can't easily get translated. I had one of my coworkers convinced that his "cool and trendy" Chinese "strength" tattoo actually said "I drink dog P***". And for all he knows, it might!  Grin)

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2013, 07:42:52 pm »

Been awhile since I've logged in...but here's some Steamy ink I've done since last we met:

Crow with clockwork breast

Red Victorian scrollwork/vinework stuff on a bellydancer's foot

Victorian House in woodcut style

Sorry for blurry pic...but it's a clockwork shoulderplate, crosshatched in sepiatone

Again, pic's a bit blurry...but crosshatched clockwork round-bomb on a dude's head

Stippled Victorian-inspired poppy

Woodcut-style family tree w Victorian elements

crosshatch flintlock

Victorian/Henna hybrid bellydancer's hand

Stovepipe Topper Reaper

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
pexovan
Swab

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2017, 09:26:43 pm »

Personally, I have 2 tattoos. And it's my steampunk patterns of machinery and gears on back http://inkprofy.com/koi-fish-tattoo-designs-with-meanings/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: