The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:40:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patination of Copper Alloys  (Read 1172 times)
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« on: April 15, 2010, 09:43:58 am »

Last night I stumbled across the most amazing book in a friend's library and thought that some of the folk here would be interested:

The Colouring, Bronzing and Patination of Metals by Richard Hughes and Michael Rowe. ISBN 97080500015018.

It's basically a 'how to' manual for achieving just about any patination effect you require on just about any type of copper alloy or silver metalwork. For example, there are 201 recipes just for different patinas on yellow brass rolled sheet, each with instructions, indicators for and against, and notes/observations.

I borrowed the copy that i'm exploring, but will be buying my own from Amazon in a moment or two.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Colouring-Bronzing-Patination-Metals-Metalworkers/dp/0500015015/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271319753&sr=1-1

What an excellent book!

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:33:15 am »

Excellent find, thank you for sharing.

BE SPLENDID!
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:57:22 am »

A very nice book... but, many of the chemicals are pretty unobtainable, still interesting to read though.

Master Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:32 pm »

A very nice book... but, many of the chemicals are pretty unobtainable, still interesting to read though.

Really? In the short time I've had to look through it I haven't noticed anything particularly exotic. Some of the chemicals are a bit pricey, but Fisher Scientific has stock of everything I've tried so far.

sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:39:04 pm »

probably but have you tried to buy it as a non chemist? Id be interested if its possible to get small quantities of what is considered dangerous chemicals. I've only just found someone who will supply "livers of sulphur"
Master Tinkerer

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:54:28 pm »

probably but have you tried to buy it as a non chemist? Id be interested if its possible to get small quantities of what is considered dangerous chemicals. I've only just found someone who will supply "livers of sulphur"

I've never had any problems getting hold of fairly exciting chemicals, but I guess that having been a part-time pyrotechnist helps

Sorry if it's a silly question, but have you tried places like art and jewelry suppliers? Livers of sulphur, for instance, is readily available from suppliers such as Cooksons.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Oxidising-Solution-500ml-Un2818c-prcode-998-161

Walsh are normally pretty good at supplying useful (but noxious) chemicals.

http://www.hswalsh.com/

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:06:26 pm by Captain Shipton Bellinger » Logged
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:47:46 pm »

I found it locally (http://www.kernowcraft.com/) sort of accidentally after i'd already found a good way to age/green copper. I was seeking a way to darken pewter which it didn't do. New recipes for patinas are always fascinating to find though. HS Walsh seems to have some great stuff..one day i'll be able to afford such stuff!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: