The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 03:29:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hello  (Read 1011 times)
kate
Swab

Cyprus Cyprus

« on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:03 pm »

my aunt gave to me an old clock ... it is written on it " PIERPONT   17 jewels incabloc" 
what is this means?  is it original? is it too old? how much may it  cost?   
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:01:47 am »

PIERPONT or PIERMONT?  The latter was a registered trademark of Sauter Freres & Cie. SA in Switzerland, but not sure when.  17 jewels refers to the small bits of reddish crystal used as bushings around the ends of the gears; 17 was a common number for older lever-style mechanical watches, although many newer watches deliberately add jewels that aren't really need to get to that number, as most people "assume" a 17 jewel watch is a good quality watch. 

Incabloc is a shock protection system that helps to protect the balance staff (one of the more delicate parts of a watch) from accidental shocks and drops.  Its basically a spring mounting that allows the balance staff to push the jewels out of the way (instead of breaking them or itself).  Incabloc was developed in the 30's, so you watch would be younger then that.

Without seeing it, you likely have a fairly common mid-grade watch, but I can't tell you more then that.  Most watches like are worth very little, but there are some specific types and models that would be considered more collectible.  It all depends on what's inside, and what kind of shape it's in.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: