The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 10:49:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to make something. but i never made anything handmade before.  (Read 4401 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 02:29:33 am »

...a set of URLs to the MAKE community, and to one of its exemplars in your area, Mr. Jalopy. This should help you find project ideas, possible shop facilities, and other real-world stuff. MAKE is a very good resource.

no, no, no, Make is quite simply the best magazine in the world. A decent tv show, and a wonderful web community for makers. A good resource *snort*, indeed.  Roll Eyes

toxickun
Officer

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:20 am »

It might work and might not but with this setup it's relatively safe to experiment with trying new ways to use the existing parts. Just try to remember: Fire hot, flaming oil really hurt, hot metal burn skin, little fire become big fire in hurry.

Also wear eye protection, you won't at first but by the second or third accidental thing in your eye you'll catch on. "Oh but I'm only quickly grinding off the tip of this wire I don't need... ouch!" Plus it just looks more madsciencey or crazed engineer as the case may be if you put on goggles a lab coat and big gloves.

oh and protect your five: safty glasses, ear plugs, dust mask, vent fan, gloves. don't needlessly expose those senses to hazards, like looking at lasers or pointing a steam jet into your face.

How could we almost forget lesson no. one: SAFETY FIRST.  Embarrassed

And about oil and fire. Never try to put out an oil that's burning by pouring water over it. It becomes a flash fire and you will get burnwounds from that.

A little personal question if you don't mind. Don't you have parents, relatives, friends, adults that you can ask for some advice and guidance?

and what are the tools you have and can use.

my dad is deaf. my mom is somewhere far away. my aunts dosent want me to do any of that stuff. . . .ya im basically by myself..

...wth is a signature ._.
[sorry for my fail in grammar]
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 04:18:15 am »

Good point: wear eye protection, roll up long sleeves, and tie back long hair. Know where you can find the fire extinguisher. Later, you may find yourself extending your safety knowledge to such subjects as knowing what chlorine gas looks like, and understanding what not to do with cyanides. These last two are not frivolous, by the way, but are drawn from experience.
Oh, and my earlier post, in case you found it inscrutable, was a set of URLs to the MAKE community, and to one of its exemplars in your area, Mr. Jalopy. This should help you find project ideas, possible shop facilities, and other real-world stuff. MAKE is a very good resource.

can you help me with everything?
and yes i know =w= i wont be building indoors.
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 05:55:06 am »

my dad is deaf. my mom is somewhere far away. my aunts dosent want me to do any of that stuff. . . .ya im basically by myself..

That is not pretty. I am sorry to read that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, it 's a good thing you want to try new things.
We can always help you in finding your way in a project, but 98% has to be done by yourself.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:41 am »

x-x i figured... well i hope you give me full on support >x<

Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 03:31:03 pm »

The following link is the site for you. Even the colors will please you, i think.  Wink Grin

http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/

and this is a step by step: http://mjegado.free.fr/poppop/pop-pop-boat.php

as you see you will only need these materials

* a juice or milk carton
    * aluminium foil
    * a small (10cm) wooden bar
    * a candle
    * glue gun, staples
    * copper tubing 6mm max diameter

If it works you can make it more steamier as you please.

I think i make one myself. I never done it and it looks like a fun project.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:41:45 pm by Endeavour Cull » Logged
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 01:21:14 pm »

Well at least i wont need all of this on my table x-x.
ok ima try making this,.
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 01:52:00 pm »

It's good to see you're still as keen as mustard, Toxickun.  If you're determined to make a steam engine, why don't you make one from a kit, AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY!  They need a minimum of tools to construct, and no machine-shop work.Please be carefull, because remember if you get it wrong you've basically got a steam powered pipe-bomb on your hands (and in your hands, head, torso, etc.).  I don't want to use your experience as a lesson to the next person who comes here desperate to run before they can crawl, wanting to make a steam powered locomotion device.  "Ah, I remember Toxickun asked about that very subject once, or 'Mr Hooky Hands' as he's now known." Roll Eyes

Please follow the advice you're being given, we're not trying to put you off.  We don't want to see you become another statistic.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:56:57 am by Major Wolfram Quicksilver » Logged

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 10:28:54 pm »

(Currently trying to get money to purchase glue from home depo to begin project steam boat.) and ooooooooooohhhh :O
cool! i wonder how i can order it without calling.
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:48 pm »

After seeing the Japanese animated movie Ponyo a few days ago, and then later that night reading about the pop pop boats in this thread, I set about to make one using the instructions (on youtube) at this link, mentioned earlier in the thread...
Part 1 Build a Putt PuttPop Pop Steam Boat Intro 1LQ | LQ+ | HQ

And here it is.   My very own steam powered boat.   Works very nicely.
Engine from a cut up aluminium can, body from a milk carton.

toxickun
Officer

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 04:29:23 am »

i need the super awful smelling strong glue thing from home depo x-x
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 03:26:35 am »

toxickun, have you built your boat yet/ if  the glue is still a stop point, is there a Wal-mart near you? they usually have a hardware department, tub and tile calking can be used as a glue and the silconeized acrlic type is reasonably (15 minutes) heat proof) ..... personal experince talking here...
the ultra cheap tube type that needs a calcking gun also works but takes longer to dry.... but is a bit more heat resistant for some reason . Miles (a sailor)Martin

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 06:16:40 am »

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:22:27 am by toxickun » Logged
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 06:17:19 am »

.*stupid double posting*
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:21:41 am by toxickun » Logged
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 06:20:48 am »

toxickun, have you built your boat yet/ if  the glue is still a stop point, is there a Wal-mart near you? they usually have a hardware department, tub and tile calking can be used as a glue and the silconeized acrlic type is reasonably (15 minutes) heat proof) ..... personal experince talking here...
the ultra cheap tube type that needs a calcking gun also works but takes longer to dry.... but is a bit more heat resistant for some reason . Miles (a sailor)Martin

after for so long of forgetting to buy the material i finnely managed to get the super glue and built my first pop pop boat in 1 day.
i feel so speical cause its my first completed project! :3 [and it runs o.o my first attept and it freaken runs! amazing!! i cant belive i made anythign like this!! XD]

what else can i create that would run on steam power but isent too complaited? i want to keep improveing my skills slowly so ide get to the boiler and pisten design someday. i wanna start off with small things like the pop pop boat.. and continue to a more complaticed project.
toxickun
Officer

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 06:21:58 am »

(ok this is getting annoying =.= how can i delete my double posting topic)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: