The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:49:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Steampunk Goggles  (Read 5231 times)
Garbanian
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 22, 2010, 06:36:32 pm »

So I'm making a pretty simple design with some goggles, but there comes a point where we all seem to struggle, and this is the point I'm at.

For a lens, I need to find something to use, that is relatively inexpensive. In all hopes, I was going to find something that I can more than likely find at Goodwill, since I am stopping there today. Also, if I can't get it at Goodwill, then I will be able to go to a Lowes or a Home Depot. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome.

Also, I'm looking to get something tinted, if that cannot be done, then something I can tint myself somehow.

Thank you all for your time.
~Garbanian
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:00:32 pm »

50mm lenses are a standard size that can be bought at most hardware stores, they come in many different colors.. Smiley

Glasgow Jon
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:10:12 pm »

I am using the sides of a blue plastic washing-up liquid bottle for mine.  I can see through them quite clearly, only got a faint blue tint to them.  Got the idea from Cotume Mercenary, who uses plastic ginger ale bottles for hers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:12:00 pm by Glasgow Jon » Logged

Better to be a dead Airship Pyrate than to exist in mediocrity!!

Glasgow Jon.
Garbanian
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:19:34 pm »

50mm lenses are a standard size that can be bought at most hardware stores, they come in many different colors.. Smiley

The problem with this is that I'm not using a "standard" size by any means. It's a kind of "what you find around the house" kind of project.
I don't think they'll have what I need.
:/
Thank you though, I'll keep that in mind for my next pair.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:49:58 am »

I have  generally done the same as Glasgow Jon (and not just cos we're pals) - transparent drinks bottles are great, loads of different colours and easily cut with scissors. Downside is that they melt easily with hot glue.

Alternatives: slats/louvres or metal disc drilled with lots of small holes instead of actual see through lenses, perspex cut with hacksaw, buy some workshop safety goggles in the local £1/$1 store and cut the lenses up out of those. I have also used cheap glass conical faceted prism things sold in our local £1 store - no idea what they are meant for but the view through them is hilarious.

These were my first ever goggles: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-realistic-Steampunk-Airship-Goggles/ Very very simple and all made out of rubbish from the recycling bin.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Garbanian
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:36:55 am »

I have  generally done the same as Glasgow Jon (and not just cos we're pals) - transparent drinks bottles are great, loads of different colours and easily cut with scissors. Downside is that they melt easily with hot glue.

Alternatives: slats/louvres or metal disc drilled with lots of small holes instead of actual see through lenses, perspex cut with hacksaw, buy some workshop safety goggles in the local £1/$1 store and cut the lenses up out of those. I have also used cheap glass conical faceted prism things sold in our local £1 store - no idea what they are meant for but the view through them is hilarious.

These were my first ever goggles: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-realistic-Steampunk-Airship-Goggles/ Very very simple and all made out of rubbish from the recycling bin.

I suppose I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
Bottles aren't working well due to...well a lot of imperfections that I deem necessary to fix, and I wanted a tinted type of plastic to use as a lens. It's like SUPER important to me...
Those ideas WILL be used in some for friends though, they don't have to be perfect Tongue
Tenlo
Deck Hand

Travelling Philosopher and Part-time Eccentric

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:05:03 am »

Myself and friends have been using plastic plumbing pieces for eyepieces as some of the joints have grips on the outside giving a bit more texture to the finished product, combined with small pipe pieces can give you a simple magnifying lens.
Garbanian
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:15:08 am »

Myself and friends have been using plastic plumbing pieces for eyepieces as some of the joints have grips on the outside giving a bit more texture to the finished product, combined with small pipe pieces can give you a simple magnifying lens.

That is a brilliant idea.
I shall be going to my local Home Depot and Lowes soon enough!
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:40:57 pm »

I have gotten precut discs of acrylic plastic from TAP Plastics, which make good lenses, and can be drilled and tapped for mounting screws, or drilled through for small nuts and bolts. You can also heat acrylic carefully with a heat gun (don't go too fast, or bubbles will form) and then mold it over something like a smooth ladle bowl to create a curved lens.
I have also built goggles around sunglasses lenses, but that involved silver-soldering metal to create the mounts.
Garbanian
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 04:50:04 pm »

I have gotten precut discs of acrylic plastic from TAP Plastics, which make good lenses, and can be drilled and tapped for mounting screws, or drilled through for small nuts and bolts. You can also heat acrylic carefully with a heat gun (don't go too fast, or bubbles will form) and then mold it over something like a smooth ladle bowl to create a curved lens.
I have also built goggles around sunglasses lenses, but that involved silver-soldering metal to create the mounts.

Yea, I'm in the USA, Ohio to be exact. I don't have the means to do anything with shipping or ordering online, thats why I was hoping for something local, like a Home Depot.

The suggestion is much appreciated, maybe on my next pair I'll just wait to get more money, this is basically my beta version of the goggles.

Thanks once again for all the help!!!
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:31:49 pm »

Ah. Out here in my part of California, TAP Plastics stores are fairly common, if not quite as ubiquitous as Home Despot and Ace Hardware.
With a little luck, and less blasted sloth on my part, I should be putting a website up in the coming month or so which will include some goggle builds. I have made several sets from scratch (no welding/flying goggle bits, no plumbing parts) so far, without repeating a construction method. They are sort of fun to make as a "variations on a fixed theme" design exercise, assuming that one likes design exercises.
Garbanian
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 06:53:34 pm »

Ah. Out here in my part of California, TAP Plastics stores are fairly common, if not quite as ubiquitous as Home Despot and Ace Hardware.
With a little luck, and less blasted sloth on my part, I should be putting a website up in the coming month or so which will include some goggle builds. I have made several sets from scratch (no welding/flying goggle bits, no plumbing parts) so far, without repeating a construction method. They are sort of fun to make as a "variations on a fixed theme" design exercise, assuming that one likes design exercises.

That would be quite nice to see.

I'm not using any plumbing items, or welding, or any bits from any other goggles.
I went to a Goodwill and picked up a leather coat ($8.00) and a few belts for buckles (.50 each). My friend went to their Pat Catans (craft store) and they picked me up a Rabbit Hide/Fur for 2 bucks and leather needles since i had none at home for 4 bucks (a nice set of them). I'm just looking around for different eyesockets and different lens' to use. I'm pretty sure they will be nice if I can get the last two parts figured out. I might HAVE to get some sort of plumbing item to use for the socket, but I'm trying to stay away from that. Who knows!
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:28 pm »

For lens holders I reccommend Jubilee clips ( I think they might be hose clips on your side of the Pond), as they are cheap, metal, adjustable and have a nice nut thing on them which fits with the other decorations you are bound to be having. see part way down this page: http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/corrugated-pipe.htm

Recent goggles thusly made:

Garbanian, if you are really stuck, I have some small pieces of colourless and orange perspex suitable for cutting lenses from with a fine hacksaw (coping saw). I could post a couple of small bits to you if you are in an area where you cannot get anything else easily.
Garbanian
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 03:14:36 am »

For lens holders I reccommend Jubilee clips ( I think they might be hose clips on your side of the Pond), as they are cheap, metal, adjustable and have a nice nut thing on them which fits with the other decorations you are bound to be having. see part way down this page: http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/corrugated-pipe.htm

Recent goggles thusly made:

Garbanian, if you are really stuck, I have some small pieces of colourless and orange perspex suitable for cutting lenses from with a fine hacksaw (coping saw). I could post a couple of small bits to you if you are in an area where you cannot get anything else easily.

You may have misunderstood me, I only needed something to hold the lenses in, which I did find.
Colored plastic plates at wal*mart, for a dollar each. Nice colors and all, so I got 2 orange plates, I can get quite a few lenses outta that. Also got my holders, no eyelets though, so I'm going without those, but I'm now all set to start making this Cheesy!

Thank you ALL for the help!
All of it will be taken into consideration for the future.
weretiger
Swab

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 09:31:15 pm »

Had a thought and here is as good-a-place as any, has anyone considered using cheap swimming goggles for lenses? Does this work? if not why?

"I’m going to smile and make you think I’m happy, I’m going to laugh, so you don’t see me cry, I’m going to let you go in style, and even if it kills me- I’m going to smile."
architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 06:35:15 am »

I would say if optical clarity is needed you can use sunglasses from a goodwill or some other thrift store. it will take a bit of shopping to get a pair not scratched up so be prepared to keep coming back and bring a good microfiber cloth to clean them to see if they are scratched. as for holders I know a lot of people have used a lot of ideas. look at the wip being done by WillRockwell

(the 3D ones he is working on now) as he is using some fixture from a light that he got at a hard ware store. you may need to get some taps but it (the part he is using) definitely affords many locations to attach to them for everything imaginable.

JonnyPhoenyx
Deck Hand

Did somebody say...."Shiny?"

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 03:52:50 pm »

Here are some basic tutorials for goggles with household items. (Just for future reference)

http://fenris-the-red-wolf.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Goggles-A-Tutorial-91226763

http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/iST_20080826
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: