The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:54:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "... just the wrong side of steampunk to be chic."  (Read 1023 times)
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« on: March 20, 2010, 10:00:13 pm »

Yes, we have a passing reference in the Independent. However, it can safely be disregarded, being as 1. it's in a Fashion feature, 2. it was written by someone who shamelessly uses the word "chic", and 3. The same article also goes on to declare that bunny ears never go out of fashion. Without irony, apparently.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/features/wear-me-alice-in-wonderland-and-spring-fashion-trends-1913500.html

Wear Me: Alice in Wonderland and spring fashion trends

Alice in Wonderland might seem an unlikely wardrobe inspiration – but it's a perfect match to spring's most curious trends, says Harriet Walker.

Tim Burton has strong links with the fashion pack. It wasn't so long ago that we went all neo-goth, not only in homage to the dark mastery of Givenchy's Riccardo Tisci but also in emulation one of the great 20th-century style icons: Edward Scissorhands, the droopiest, yet fiercest, goth of them all.

Anyone who succumbed to the leather leggings and drape jacket trend can't have failed to acknowledge Burton's influence on their look.

He's done it again with Alice in Wonderland, on release from 5 March. And fortunately, there are plenty of charming, kooky pieces around to suit a ward-robe inspired by his gothic version of Lewis Carroll's tale of the surreal.

The spring trends gel perfectly with the sinister dreamscape that Burton has created. The look is girlish without being saccharine, and pretty but not schmaltzy.

Take your cue from two of London's hottest young designers right now. For spring, Christopher Kane showed delicate pink and blue gingham-check dresses, made from chiffon and covered in intricate sequins and appliqué patterns. So far, so sweet, you might think, but bear in mind that the collection was inspired by a Texan cult.

Louise Goldin also showed ice-cream parlour shades of lilac, yellow and powder blue, but her complex body-con dresses and directional knitwear were pure sci-fi. Look out for her studded courts in Topshop.

Beware of taking the Alice trend too far. A mad hat is fun for about half-an-hour, for example. Similarly, a pocket watch is just the wrong side of steampunk to be chic. But headbands are very on-trend, and bunny ears never go out of fashion (Louis Vuitton did them, after all). Just don't team them with hotpants and a tail; half of Alice's appeal is her idiosyncratic late-Victorian stuffiness.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
AndiiV
Zeppelin Captain

@andii_valo
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:21:26 am »

Oh! I'd best not be buying that Mad Hatter hat I've been craving for months with the intention of wearing to every steampunk bash I can find! This writer clearly knows better...

ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:33:29 am »

Bunny ears??? Seriously, is this writer talking about adults or four year olds?? And the color schemes and patterns described make me glad of my lack of "fashion"...

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:47:02 am »

Pass me my huntin' rifle, it appears to be rabbit-ears season again...

Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:24:07 am »

Fortunately this is the Independent, which nobody reads... (184,000 copies daily) the Sun sells 2.9 Million a day....

So purveyors of Bunny ears hold not hold their collective breaths...

Bring on the Pocket watch.....

Mad Maudlin
Snr. Officer

Defenestratrix

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 02:48:41 am »

In my humble opinion, dearies, this writer can go burn in Hell. I shall wear bunny ears, a mad hat, and a pocket-watch at the same time now, just to be contrary.

To Hell with ponies, I want an Airship!
"...If I ever see anyone in a ‘sexy clockwork automaton’ costume they picked up off a supermarket shelf I’m going to beat them to death with their plastic cog mini-skirt..."
-Dylan Fox in issue 7 of <i>SteamPunk</i> magazine
Victoria The Mistress
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:55:59 pm »

Oh, the wrong side of any place according to the hoi polloi is where I'm happiest  Wink
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »

Fortunately this is the Independent, which nobody reads... (184,000 copies daily) the Sun sells 2.9 Million a day....

So purveyors of Bunny ears hold not hold their collective breaths...

Bring on the Pocket watch.....

I used to read The Independent on Sunday.... I think I'll go outside now and do the decent thing.  

*door shuts and gunshot rings out*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:39:11 pm by James Harrison » Logged

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »

Er, I'd just like to clarify I found this article online.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:53:29 pm »

The Independent and independent on Sunday were sold to a Russian Billionaire for £1. He was robbed.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 03:58:13 pm »

Bunny ears??? Seriously, is this writer talking about adults or four year olds?? And the color schemes and patterns described make me glad of my lack of "fashion"...

Well cat ears have been popular with a certain teenage market for a while now thanks to various anime/manga characters

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:36:47 pm »

Well I´m not a very fashionable person, but I might start wearing rabbit ears to rectify that.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
MinistryOfTruth
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 06:43:23 am »

Seriously, there's no need to worry.  The Independent is notoriously full of weapons-grade bullshit (I read it briefly a few years ago and stopped after I worked out that some of their "journalism" was in fact completely made up), and its readership is mostly composed of excrutiatingly posh and "trendy" attempted Communists who still think that wearing t-shirts with Che Guevara (or whichever mass-murderer is fashionable right now) on it and not shaving properly is about as "non-conformist" as it's possible to get.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: