The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:58:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before I Rub'n'Buff my plastic?  (Read 7158 times)
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Corporal Grease - Her Majesty's Own Mars Engineers

« on: March 18, 2010, 03:47:36 pm »

I'm sure that the answer to these questions are out there on the Forum somewhere buried in some post about someone's Nerf gun mod, but I've been unable to find it.

I have a preference for cobbling thing together things from brass and glass and leather &c.

However, I have a fun concept that I wish to play with that involves painting some plastic to look like brass and steel.  I have purchased some Rub'n'Buff in the desired colours.  My plastic is bright yellow, red and blue.  What preparation should I do before I add the metal finish?  Spray paint or Brush?  Matt or Gloss? Brown for brass and black for steel?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

[The secret of what I plan to achieve will be revealed when complete.]
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:13:56 pm »

I've not used Rub'n'Buff specifically but I'm familiar with the basic technology.

As you say the base colour will have a significant effect on how it turns out, obviously a darker colour base coat will give a darker final effect and to get it absolutely right you;ll need to experiment. It depends a lot on how dense the pigment in this particular product is. I'd say go initially for a base coat which approximates the final tone you want to achieve and work from there. Experiment with small samples before you start on the finished piece.

In terms of preparation you will certainly want an undercoat and possibly a primer, depending on the plastic, spraying will probably give a more even surface ,but it can fillin detail so keep it thin and make sure that the paint is compatible with your plastic, there are plenty of primers and undercoats which will work fine with most plastics though.

The absolute fist thing to do is to wash the surface really thoroughly in warm water and detergent and then rinse, if the plastic is very glossy a run down with fine wire wool will help the paint to stick. This is really important because moulded plastics usually have a coating of mould release agent which paint won;t stick to at all.

Since the finish is wax based a matt surfeace will probably give you best results, you may also want to matt the surface further with fine weta nad dry paper or wire wool.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:28:14 am by Narsil » Logged

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
MalContent
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Swindler, Con Man and Gentleman Thief

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:41 am »

I have only ever used rub 'n' buff on resin...however I recommend sanding with fine grit sandpaper, and for a best result go back and wet sand it again. Then wash with detergent and warm water....a final rub down with alcohol to remove and grease or oil and finally primer...preferably grey.... That should do it for the prep work.

"God Created Alcohol so the Irish wouldn't take over the world"
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:16:53 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be rubbing and washing and painting this weekend.
Shar
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:15:56 am »

You can also try preparing the surface with a foam emery block normally used for manicures.  I prefer to use flat black krylon fusion spray paint and be very gentle with the r&b.  You can always add more but its really hard to take off.  I put a tiny dab on the back of my hand and rub it in to spread out the pigment, then use my finger to apply it flat across the surface.  You can try spraying a coin with the black paint and practice with that to see what technique works best for you.
Dave the Troll
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:47:07 am »

As promised the result of my rubbing and buffing.

Plastic was wire-wooled, spray painted matt black and then rub'n'buffed (Grecian Gold and Pewter).
In places it was then painted with acrylics (red and blue/yellow mix for the green).  These coloured areas were then given another coat of rub'n'buff to give them the shine that you see.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:49:01 am by Dave the Troll » Logged
MalContent
Snr. Officer

Swindler, Con Man and Gentleman Thief

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

looks good...glad it all worked out for you.
SashaGears
Gunner

Black Market Treasure Hunter

hexinfiniti
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:04:53 pm »

base color needs to be VERY dark. preferably black.

I'd buy the "hammered" black spray paint.

if you go on my deviant art: braithcakes.deviantart.com

then you can see my gun prop.

hammered paint with the rubnbuff over it actually makes it look like real metal.

"We're incredibly misunderstood, and so they label us witches...we're locked away in Containment zones, by those who would condemn us."-Noah, Arc of Gelen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: