The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:48:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surprisingly Not A Joke Device - A Combo Tourbillon + Cell Phone, Only $275,000  (Read 1119 times)
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« on: March 12, 2010, 01:30:47 pm »

A brilliant mechanical and electronic engineering effort, but... why?  And can the Celsius company possibly make it any more difficult way to upgrade your phone in a year or two?  markf    http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2010/03/celsius-x-vi-ii-micro-mechanical.html

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:00:25 pm »

unfortunately the beauty of such a device it lost on most that could afford it. however the comment

towards the dream of a completely mechanical mobile phone

made me think though.

Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:47:12 pm »

it is rather pointlessly wonderful - but does it support the spirit level app....?

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:51:16 am »

I am curious to how far they want to take the idea on a mechanical mobile phone.

I know there is developments in micro mechanics but nothing anywhere complex enough to process digital information.

Maybe an electro-mechanical screen will be the next step.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:02:20 am »

Part of the description reminds of some of the early attempts to add auto-wind functionality to watches.  One rather innovative design involved a lever attached to the cover hinge of a hunter-case watch, which wound the mainspring when the case was opened and closed.  Of course, the design didn't work too well at the time; the added stress on the hinge wasn't workable.  But it sounds like these guys are going down the same road.  With modern alloys, I suspect they'll have better success.  I wonder if they're working towards something like the Eco drives, such that the winding will power a generator to charge a battery?  I consider that pointless technology for watches, but if they can make it work for cell phones, that would be cool.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: