The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 01:41:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resources for Working with Horn?  (Read 778 times)
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Adventurer & Scholar

« on: March 08, 2010, 01:30:33 am »

Hi, everybody. I recently picked up a half-completed powder horn that I'm going to try to convert to a blowing horn. In preperation for this project, can anybody point me to some information about similar projects, or about working with horn generally? Many thanks.  Smiley

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:28:00 am »

The one piece of advice that I can offer you is that if you need to ream the horn out any more than it already is or need to do any sanding on it, get a decent quality vapour mask. Dust masks don't catch enough of the extremely fine dust that this process produces.

twilightbanana
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 04:13:38 pm »

Here's some info on working horn:

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/horn/hornhome.html

From there you can find the following article:

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/horn/hblast.html

A horn is a very simple instrument, being just a long tube with a shaped mouthpiece. There is no reed. Like a trumpet, a horn is played by blowing air through closed lips, producing a "buzzing" sound which starts a standing wave vibration in the air column inside the horn. The most important bit of shaping you need is for the mouthpiece, which needs to be wide enough to fit your lips. You'll want to round off the edges for comfort.

The length of the horn determines the notes you can get out of it. A very short horn - like a powder horn for instance - can't produce as deep a tone as a longer one. Also, a short horn is harder to blow.
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:42 am »

twilightbanana, that site is exactly what I was looking for - thanks a bunch!

(Hmm . . . somehow, I expected the mouthpiece to be  more complex than that!  Shocked)

sebastian Inkerman, I shall definitely keep your advice in mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: