The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 11:50:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Lucerne" Swiss Pocketwatch  (Read 8290 times)
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« on: March 05, 2010, 07:51:59 pm »

Just picked up this guy today at a pawn shop for 25 Canadian dollars.
The face says "lucerne" "Swiss Made" and "17 Jewel Movement"
It has a hunting scene on the face. It needs to be serviced/repaired as it has been over wound.

Anyone have any info? or suggestions?

Thanks

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »

Its probably a generic Swiss ebauche, could be from a number of makers, although I'd have to see it to confirm exactly what it is.
 As far as "overwound" - no such thing, that's a catch all phrase for "it doesn't work, and we don't know why".
Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »

Good to know! I'll get better pictures. What happens if you wind it at all is after several turns the spring? inside makes a spinning type sound and the watch unwinds rapidly.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:25:11 pm »

Ah.. that sound like a broken (or detached at one end) mainspring. not a hard or expensive fix.. (depending on the movement..)

Cheers
Harold
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:37:12 pm »

The movement appears to be a cb 8800? The local watch shop quoted me $40 to fix it oil it and clean it. I'll have it back within about a week!
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »

During my super lucky day today the Antique store where I got my new radio called me back in she found "an old watch" that she said I could have. it definitely doesn't wind. I'm gonna open it up and clean the mechanism. assuming it cleans up I'll try to oil it. here's a pic.

Upon further examination the inside says acier Garante, and has serial number 835084
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:37:52 pm by Quetzalcoatl » Logged
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:23:23 am »

Just picked up this guy today at a pawn shop for 25 Canadian dollars.
The face says "lucerne" "Swiss Made" and "17 Jewel Movement"

"Lucerne" is a collective in Switzerland, and tends to be used as a generic "name" on a number of otherwise unrelated watches, usually with fairly low-end pin lever movements.  I've got two "lucerne" wristwatches.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:56:38 am »

I'm gonna open it up and clean the mechanism. assuming it cleans up I'll try to oil it. here's a pic.

what are you hoping to clean and oil the watch with?
I believe you must be careful and only use the correct oils that are made specially for watches, as serious damage can be done if the wrong oils are used.

Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 03:18:42 pm »

Fortunately I managed to read enough of the dire warnings about oiling before I went that far.
before I learned about oiling and such however I did try to clean it.

A local clock/watch tinkerer recommended lighter fluid as a means to clean the internals. I decided that that sounded like a bad idea. I ended up trying tiny amounts of the instant evaporating electronics/contact cleaner. the mechanism actually looks substantially better and the parts move quite freely now. I've set it aside for the moment because I really don't want to destroy things that are potentially useful. When I acquire the tools, proper oil and some more knowledge I'll take a crack at removing the mechanism completely, re cleaning it properly and oiling it. it looks as though its missing the seconds hand, but the crystal and face are so discoloured its tough to say for certain.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:37:21 pm »

I heartily recommend the TimeZoneWatchSchool Level 2 course and toolkit (http://www.timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/).  The course is based on the far more complicated ETA 2836, but the principles and logic of oiling can be applied to pretty much anything.  The level one course is okay, but you can learn most of that stuff from library books and the such, and large chunks of it are effectively covered in the Level 2 course anyway.
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 06:42:59 pm »

Awesome! Thanks for the link!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: