The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 09:45:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H.M.A.S Badger ~ Online Æther Ship ~ Member's Wanted (OOC Thread)  (Read 34889 times)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #600 on: October 22, 2010, 05:29:51 pm »

I like the second pic as well...

I've still been working on the Khukhuris off and on, and I posted an update for the sheaths in the tactile thread a while ago.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24041.25

The project isn't quite done yet, still need the belt loops on the sheaths. The small knives have the handles shaped (not oiled yet) and a rough-shaped edge on them, but still need the edge fully shaped and sharpened.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

Commanding the FAAS Widow's Son

« Reply #601 on: October 22, 2010, 06:13:34 pm »

Looks good, Alexis, keep us posted!

The second pic it is, then - that was actually my wallpaper for quite some time, I'm certain I was influenced by it in my design...  Wink  Ironically, I believe that is actually Jupiter in the background - ?

Jim:
“I was once in Lahore on assignment, saw a man beheaded in the city square. Try that with a pen.”  Well, given enough time... Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:17:45 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged

A gentleman and a scholar, albeit heavily armed.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #602 on: October 22, 2010, 08:42:24 pm »

I hope its OK that I took the liberty:
[img=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.899e7848e7.jpg]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:44:18 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #603 on: October 23, 2010, 09:19:03 am »

Many thanks, Mr. Bailey, looks great with the modified thrusters!

I'm very much liking the visual components being added to the posts, such as Jim's newspaper - reminds me of the old tabletop days when we'd prep handouts and props for a night's gaming session.  Smiley

Cheers, Theo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:21:14 am by Theosophus Grey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #604 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:32 pm »

Many thanks, Mr. Bailey, looks great with the modified thrusters!

I'm very much liking the visual components being added to the posts, such as Jim's newspaper - reminds me of the old tabletop days when we'd prep handouts and props for a night's gaming session.  Smiley

Cheers, Theo

No Problem

now, this is one MIGHTY PEN...

Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #605 on: October 24, 2010, 02:16:16 pm »

lol  Cheesy  Byron is rolling over in his grave...

BTW, today I celebrate a birthday that not long ago was in question whether I would see it - Huzzah! Wine and cakes all around!  Wink
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:31:13 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #606 on: October 25, 2010, 12:22:37 pm »

Anyone see the new Sherlock Holmes series on Masterpiece Theater last night?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:30:09 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #607 on: October 25, 2010, 12:24:54 pm »

A slim figure at the bar quietly checked their watch, and contemplated how little time they had to find their way aboard the Widow's Son...

Ms. Curious, I invite you to rejoin the traveling company if you so desire, your presence would be most welcome.  Smiley
Matthias Pennypecker
« Reply #608 on: October 25, 2010, 03:26:16 pm »

Oh yes!  Smiley
It would be great to get everyone back onboard!

Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #609 on: October 25, 2010, 04:42:27 pm »

Hiram Abiff is a character who figures prominently in an allegorical play that is presented during the third degree of Craft Freemasonry. In this play, Hiram is presented as being the chief architect of King Solomon's Temple, who is murdered by three ruffians during an unsuccessful attempt to force him to divulge the Master Masons' secret password. It is explained in the lecture that follows this play that the story is a lesson in fidelity to one's word, and in the brevity of life.  In the Masonic ritual Hiram is referred to as 'the Widow's Son,' which is similar to a biblical reference to a Hiram found in 1 Kings 7:13–14.

"For the sake of the Widow's Son..."  Wink
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #610 on: October 28, 2010, 06:48:38 am »

Sorry for not bringing this up sooner, but I will be out of pocket this Friday night, and on through Sunday afternoon, as I will be attending the North Harris County Dulcimer Society's annual Fall Campout (I might even teach one or two woodwind classes or something if they ask me to).
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #611 on: October 28, 2010, 09:13:49 am »

Have fun, Mr. Bailey!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #612 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:46 pm »

I'm assuming about a regiment of Dragon Corps, approx 3 to 4 companies. Also assuming 'smallarms gunports,' basically very small, sealed-ball-type ports for smallarms (sized up to, say, Bailey's Villar Perosa MMG or a heavy plasma gun), both in the outer windowed corridors and accessed from deeper within the ship, such as the ones outside Pennypecker's quarters that Bailey mentioned. there would of course be similar ports elsewhere, all over the place.

No prob with the demotion, it'll make it easier for him to move around, plus it's a better fit in a security-head position. I'm thinking the Dragon Corps are like Marines on US vessels would be.

Yes, Bailey's a mason, remember from last time. He's not likely to let anything slip, since he's had to hide it for so long.

Still claiming his ability to 'flit,' but there might be only limited use for it this time around, mainly battle or 'chase' intervals. He might use it to surprise the guards (keep 'em on their toes) or catch Pennypeacker snooping, however...( Wink)

Bailey and Pennypecker might have a difference of opinion on just what really is 'Pennypecker's business'...
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #613 on: October 28, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »

I'm thinking the Dragon Corps are like Marines on US vessels would be.

My thinking exactly, Mr. Bailey, although given the limited size of the ship and the losses taken during the war we may want to scale back the active numbers, say one company aboard at any one time and 2-3 ashore on Luna for training, hospital, leave, assignments, etc. (men and dragons both) - ?  Wink
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #614 on: October 28, 2010, 07:35:47 pm »

This one's for Pennypecker...  Wink

Q: How many Masons does it take to unscrew a light bulb?
A: It's a secret!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #615 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:59 am »

I'm thinking the Dragon Corps are like Marines on US vessels would be.

My thinking exactly, Mr. Bailey, although given the limited size of the ship and the losses taken during the war we may want to scale back the active numbers, say one company aboard at any one time and 2-3 ashore on Luna for training, hospital, leave, assignments, etc. (men and dragons both) - ?  Wink

OK...

~Bailey as First Sergeant (rank of Sgt. Major) then,
~1 company aboard, three ashore,
~1st lieutenant and a Sgt. in command for each.

~eight pairs per squad (or 'Pod'}, commanded by PrivateFirstClass or Lance Corporal,

~five squads per platoon, commanded by sergeant or Corporal,

~five platoons, total commanded by an officer and an NCO First Sergeant (can be buck sergeant or corporal)

~four fighting or 'rifle' platoons,
~one 'artillery' & heavyweapons handling/support & hospital (mainly battlefield medic and triage).

Main hospital unit and facility on Luna, the rest as you suggested. 200 men per company ideally; probably more like 180 or a few less in actuality. (that means 40 people on flex duty as both artillery and as support, support being at least partly medic and triage, assigned according to apparent need. and approx 160 in the ideal as fighting individuals)

~Thus the 'company' for guard duty would be probably two platoons, all platoons aboard sharing the duty according to a rotating roster. (perhaps same for support and medic duties)

~two plummets or the W's equivalent, both with viable aether capability and mountings for heavy weapons. (plummets'd be useful for ship-to-shore or ship-to-ship duty as well. probably not good as fighters, but probably good manned probe/bomber ships - sort of like the Galileo on teh original Star Trek).

Sound good?
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #616 on: October 29, 2010, 11:24:22 am »

Excellent, great detailing - and I'm a sucker for a ST:TOS reference...  Smiley
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #617 on: October 30, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »

In the days that followed, Germany and the Austrian-Hungarian Empire sided with the Americans.
France and Italy sided with the British, and the world prepared to go to war.

Whoa....  Sad
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #618 on: November 03, 2010, 04:37:23 pm »

perhaps Mr. Pennypecker would like to write the rest of the RP-- no, wait! Perhaps I can solve this impasse...

I think that's a rather nice turn of events, don't you?

(And no, Bailey is not the killer, nor is it a member of the Corps)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:48:03 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Matthias Pennypecker
« Reply #619 on: November 10, 2010, 04:02:30 pm »

In an effort to get things moving again.

I made that post about the war starting for long range story plotline I had in mind. As it didn’t fit with other peoples plans it was easily fixed and I have no problem with that.

The issue seems to be coming from the “death of Vandenberg” post. Rereading your ooc response to the post Mr. Bailey I see you seem to think I was trying to frame you for that. I wasn’t.

In fact, it was an attempt to introduce a spy aboard the ship nothing more. I did not make that post in a vacuum. Theo had similar ideas and I sent him a word for word copy of my “death of Vandenberg” post before I posted it in the rp.
His response was that it fit well with what he wanted to do as well. That I should go ahead and post it.

In fact, back when the Widows Son was ready for launch, I asked Theo if he had made any plans for the story line. Telling him that if he didn’t , I had an idea for it. His response was,
“ Go for it Jim!”

I can only think that the problem {frustration} comes from the fact that not everyone knows what’s going to happen next. I always looked at this {rp} as if reading a book so knowing what the mystery is it at the start is a spoil. BUT, in an effort to stop the unpleasantness I will give you all the information I submitted to Theo for approval before I made my very first post.
{If you don’t want to know stop reading}
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plotline

The moon of Callisto is not a natural moon it is a Dyson sphere or Dyson shell.
As to what is inside Theo and I have kicked around several ideas as to what we will find but deciding on none as yet.

It could be a race of aliens who do or do not know that they live in a closed world.
It could be a prison for a race so powerful that they needed an equally powerful prison.
Theo suggested it could be part of the “Founders” thread that already came up in the storyline.
Or it could be really huge inside, holding a sun and several planets and moons. Getting in may be easy, getting out not so. Or getting out may mean letting the evil aliens out too.

I cant tell you what’s inside because I don’t know.{ Even if Jim did know, Pennypecker has no clue.}  

The ship the Widows Son was built by the Masonic order for deep space exploration. Including a detailed survey of Callisto. The Order had information in its archives that there was something special about that moon, but nothing specific.

Unknown to Vandenberg his observatory was at least partly funded my the masons.{ and many other scientific projects as well} so the order knew of his work. Vandenberg only knew that the moon had somehow altered its speed of orbit and avoided the collision he had predicted. It was Vandenberg who approached Pennypecker to get the help he needed to mount an expedition.

The outside interest in this moon made the need to push up the launch of the ship more important. The Order called in Captain Grey to get the ship in action. The Luna lodge was aware that the Illuminati had noticed the public interest in going beyond the belt and that the Illuminati wanted to get to Callisto first. Pennypeckers contacting Grey to try to hire the ship was just blind luck. The two of them, Pennypecker and Vandenberg  had no clue that this was all part of, for lack of a better term, “the secret war”. {Masons/Illuminati}

The Order had decided to get Pennypecker and Vandenberg onboard for no other reason but to keep them from getting in the way. That is everything that I had offered to Theo as a possible story line. If I did forget something, Theo please feel free to jump in.

For me, everyone knowing everything is like performing a play with no audience. Half the enjoyment is seeing the discovery of the story by the audience. That, is, the, one, and, only, reason I did not just post it in the OOC at the start. However if this helps to make everyone less hostile { myself included } then its for the best.

It is my hope that {after each of us getting our shots in} we can go on with the rp with out trying to cripple each others characters so that it is impossible for them to fulfill there role in the story.

{ You can post things to prevent Pennypecker from sending in his story. I can post new orders for Bailey to be removed from command pending investigation on the security breach. The only thing that will happen is that the two of us will be the only ones left posting.}

The question is then do we all agree then lets get on with the story, if not, then what is the point of continuing?  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:51:49 pm by Matthias Pennypecker » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #620 on: November 10, 2010, 05:54:53 pm »

It is utterly idiotic for a machine like the aethergraph to continue to be kept in the passenger's  stateroom when it has already been used for espionage purposes, and not much less idiotic for it to be kept in a stateroom at all, it being such a potentially-harmful device.

Not a military venture? interesting. Why are the Dragon corps aboard? Why is one of their number, Sgt Major Bailey, in charge of security? Further, you seem completely ignorant of maritime law; A military force aboard a ship would be duty-bound to take control, relieve the captain of his duties, and enforce the aforementioned directive. one of the things that keep me from staying on is the fact that you would insist (ridiculously and utterly childishly) upon changing it all around so that the  aethergraph stays in your character's cabin, no matter how I or we might try to inpose soime kind of realistic sequence of events. It's such a minor point, Jim. Your insistence, in my limitedly experienced opinion, borders on mania. Surely its not  THAT important!

It is also extremely idiotic to suggest that a ship with British (Luna being a British colony and thus subject to the empire's laws) registration and provenance would be allowed to disregard direct orders from the British admiralty.

It is also extremely out of order for Mr. Pennypecker to move other characters than his own, without asking for or being given permission (I only responded in kind), and to  constantly insist that his storyline must rule all others without having introduced the idea for the storyline, and its mechanics, in the OOC and worked it out with the other players. To simply plop it down and insist is extremely rude and utterly unfair to the other players. You keep doing that, Jim, and it's gotten completely out of hand! Since you keep doing it despite protests, I can only assume that you will continue to do so, and that it is thus no longer in accordance with fair and equal play for me to continue to endure it. The others may do as they wish, but I will not tolerate it any longer.

Not to mention insinuating in the dialogue that other characters who don't brownnose yours and follow them blindly are stupid, crazy, or irrelevant, or all of the above. That is a very CHILDISH way of doing things, Jim. One would think you must be incredibly downtrodden in real life for you to treat others so shabbily in Roleplay.

Since its a private venture, Mr. Bailey must therefore be a private citizen, and therefore, must have the right to terminate his services. No, sorry, its only logical within your extremely illogical framework, Jim. Insist that its a private venture and you throw out the possibility of keeping the military aboard by any authority you or Captain Grey claim to have. The authority in such an arrangement is always on the government's side. It has to be, if you think about it (I realize that you'll simply disregard that and any other inconvenient facts out of hand, past experience being my guide).

And by the way, Who died and made you GM?  If you have been appointed such, I wish it could have been announced, so that I could have quit the RP then. ('Go for it Jim' is not the same thing. Yes, I'm aware that you insist otherwise. You're very childish that way). You did not ask, I never saw it given to you, and as far as I'm concerned, you do not have that position.

I hold all others than yourself blameless, Jim. The others have been nothing but fair and high-minded, in comparison to your scurrilous and idiotic behavior.

I therefore quit this RP.

PS: It makes absolutely no difference to me that you have posted the plot in your last OOC post. It's too little, too late in my opinion. You just couldnt let my character do his job, could you? And you only posted the 'plot' (such as it is)  as an afterthought! Sorry, Jim, but it's just too late.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:24:41 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Matthias Pennypecker
« Reply #621 on: November 10, 2010, 06:33:15 pm »

While it is needless to say I don’t agree with everything you say.
 I don’t think it is fair, to you, that you should quit.

I will submit that we have very different views on how the rp should go. Different enough that I now believe that it may be imposable for the two of us to work together on this kind of project.

Having said that, there are others playing in this as well. I suggest that in the interest of harmony a vote be taken. If the censuses is that everyone thinks as Mr. Bailey dose that I am being overly controlling I will remove myself from the rp. With no hurt feelings.

It is my hope that even if you don’t find yourself in the majority, that you will still not quit. In fact, I will make you a promises that if we all do continue together I will exclude myself from any future “plot development” and stick to my own player character. As it is now, everyone knows what I had planed. As far as I am concerned the whole thing {plot} is up for debate. If no one likes the direction the story was going, that is easily changed.

I am trying to be fair to all and will follow what ever the group wants.

Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #622 on: November 10, 2010, 06:50:00 pm »

I would have jumped in earlier, but the SPF server repeatedly failed to load for me over the last week or so - so, now I see what I've missed.  Tongue

Mr. Bailey, I would encourage you to stay on under the same conditions that we all discussed with Jim in the Badger RP, and that I believe he is living up to now; I don't see that anything he has posted so far has been exclusive of other player's options, and in fact were moving the story along rather nicely.  Conflict is basis of good drama, after all - the two of us chew on each other constantly, I hope to our mutual entertainment.  Wink

In any case, I would appreciate your not quitting, since our established characters have made an outstandingly diverse troupe to date, and I'd hate to lose any of those dramatic elements.  That being said, I wish you the best however you decide.

Cordially, Theo
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #623 on: November 11, 2010, 12:38:33 am »

While it is needless to say I don’t agree with everything you say.
 I don’t think it is fair, to you, that you should quit.

I will submit that we have very different views on how the rp should go. Different enough that I now believe that it may be imposable for the two of us to work together on this kind of project.

all it would take would be a little consideration for others' feelings. I will continue to reserve the right to say so if I feel you are being unfair. You're not an emperor and I am not your subject.
Having said that, there are others playing in this as well. I suggest that in the interest of harmony a vote be taken. If the censuses is that everyone thinks as Mr. Bailey dose that I am being overly controlling I will remove myself from the rp. With no hurt feelings.

Taken from your own post:
I can post new orders for Bailey to be removed from command pending investigation on the security breach.
That right there is what I object to. You should not have the right to do that.

It is my hope that even if you don’t find yourself in the majority, that you will still not quit. In fact, I will make you a promises that if we all do continue together I will exclude myself from any future “plot development” and stick to my own player character. As it is now, everyone knows what I had planned. As far as I am concerned the whole thing {plot} is up for debate. If no one likes the direction the story was going, that is easily changed.

I didn't expect to be in the majority. It would seem I'm the only person who's irritated by your behavior, or irritated enough to let you have it for behaving that way. It might be medical, but I think it's just that i'm an irascible old curmudgeon at times. (nearing fifty. yes, I'm aware you don't care).

It may also be that I was set off by the character Pennypecker's  'editorial' remarks. Several seemed tuned to sting in all the worst places. You may judge the strength of the sting by the fact that insults delivered in character usually tend to not affect me very much. Yes, I know he's not the editor, but such is the way such remarks are commonly referred to, or used to be referred to, in the newspaper business (says a friend of mine who has been a reporter for a major paper for twenty-five years. No, I won't tell you her name, she asked me not to do that).

Plot development? Hell, I don't care if you take us through the eye of Athena's shuttle, as long as you tell us about it first. (that goes for anybody, including me)

I am trying to be fair to all and will follow what ever the group wants.
Fine.

But... I have to be able to caterwaul from time to time, if only to keep from having a conniption. (my chair is getting rickety from being thrown out the back door)(just joking...)(although...).

Okay, so I don't quit
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. I guess that means that the last post of Bailey's needs to be changed. That will have to wait until after IU came back from an evening meeting, however...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:46:42 am by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #624 on: November 11, 2010, 06:06:23 am »

Vandenberg's murderer is to be placed in the suit in the Liquid Environment, a la the movie Outland (the one with Sean Connery as the Federal Marshal), NOT PENNYPECKER, to avoid any possible confusion on that point.

Also it provides some unique opportunities, but please let's not kill the guy off just yet...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: