The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:28:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H.M.A.S Badger ~ Online Æther Ship ~ Member's Wanted (OOC Thread)  (Read 35183 times)
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Commanding the FAAS Widow's Son

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »

Miss Askew, perhaps the Illuminati are involved in your brother's sudden disappearance due to his stumbling upon a clue (of what we don't yet know), and spread the piracy story as a cover?  Wink  Please jump in, the water's fine!

A gentleman and a scholar, albeit heavily armed.
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 02:57:51 pm »

I'm very glad to hear that so far I am only one of three first timers to Role playing Smiley

Also... I'm sorry if my last post was a little too far.

Not at all, a marvelous twist to the storyline and violent towards Nightshade - what better?   Wink  Also, it gives you a chance to talk to the captain privately, and develop your character's involvement and backstory.  

BTW, forgive my brief highjacking of your character this morning - I usually only contribute in the early am, and I wanted to be sure you had your opportunity to speak established before the story jumped too far ahead today.  If you'd rather it go differently, please don't hesitate to say so and I'll cut the text below the line.  Best, Theo
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:26:17 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 03:00:00 pm »

Mr. Nightshade, LOVE the cat food reference, brilliant sir!  My sides still hurt from laughing.  Cheesy
sevenlies
Officer

Hier kommt der panzermensch!

sevenlies
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 03:18:40 pm »

Miss Askew, perhaps the Illuminati are involved in your brother's sudden disappearance due to his stumbling upon a clue (of what we don't yet know), and spread the piracy story as a cover?  Wink  Please jump in, the water's fine!

Great minds think alike, eh?  I was thinking the same thing on my ride in to work this morning.  Smiley  Things have been entirely too busy IRL, so I'm hoping to be able to post more soon.  Right now Iphigenia's recovering from the nasty blow to her head.

Iphigenia P. Askew
Founding member of The Ladies Supernatural Exterminators Association - New Orleans Local no. 13

Seven lies multiplied by seven
Multiplied by seven again
Seven angels with seven trumpets
Send them home on the morning train
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 03:24:16 pm »

Please have a lie-down in your cabin, I'll send the aromatherapist around later.  Wink
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 03:29:15 pm »

Oh, she's being seen to by the medics.  She took a nasty blow when the meteors hit.  Sadly, she pushed herself a bit too far.  Silly girl, constantly giving too much to others...  Tongue
Major Dan Badger
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

"Is this about his pot plants?"

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 03:48:37 pm »

Sorry about my absence everyone. A hectic lifestyle, and real life trips away lead to very few forum posts. Could someone post a little summary of what is going on on the Badger at the mo, only I'm a little behind.

Major dan is stocky in build, 34, has a large curling mustache and smokes a pipe filled with Moroccan tobacco. His father is a famous General, his grandfather a famous pioneer in mechanics. He lost his younger brother to a kidnapper when he was three, and presumes him dead. The kidnapper actually was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. I was thinking perhaps to introduce a count to the ships Passengers Wink. He could charm the ladies, but Nightshade doesn't like him?
And we have Nightshade trying to bankrupt me. Well, I don't know what thats all about but as Theo said a while back, I was not a man of bussiness, so perhaps they are taking advantage? I like it.

Dan

Major Dan Badger
Inventor, Explorer, Extrodinaire
Recipient of the Golden Cog for Outstanding Bravery and Valour
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:22 pm »

Sorry about my absence everyone. A hectic lifestyle, and real life trips away lead to very few forum posts. Could someone post a little summary of what is going on on the Badger at the mo, only I'm a little behind.

Major dan...(SNIP)...The kidnapper actually was
. I was thinking perhaps to introduce a count to the ships Passengers Wink. He could charm the ladies, but Nightshade doesn't like him? ...(snip)
Perhaps the count, by accident or design, could be the German who wants to kill Bailey, or perhaps the assassin for same?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 08:03:28 pm »

"If this is about his potted plants..."
    "I doubt it, Sir."

Wonderful, Miss Curious, you've captured my world-weary sarcasm perfectly!  And I distinctly heard the "James Bond" theme playing whilst you were thrashing the guards...  Wink
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:12:48 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged
Cornelius Nightshade
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »

Absolutely love it when every one jumps in like this, can only make things better and better as the plot thickens!
jim
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »

You, sir, are psychic - I had just uttered the words "The plot is thickening!" as I opened this thread...  Wink 

Nice turn with the martian temple, very reminiscent of ER Burroughs' John Carter books.  I assume we're dealing with the red martians, not the four-armed green ones?  Or perhaps both?  Huh
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 09:02:54 pm »

. I was thinking perhaps to introduce a count to the ships Passengers Wink. He could charm the ladies, but Nightshade doesn't like him? ...(snip)
Perhaps the count, by accident or design, could be the German who wants to kill Bailey, or perhaps the assassin for same?

Agreed, could be a good tie-in for why Dan got funding for his shipbuilding, only to be conveniently absent when Nightshade took over at the unscheduled launch, and Bailey then arrived late?  This is presuming Bailey knows more than he is currently saying, and was following a trail already...  Wink
Zuttle D. Curious
Snr. Officer

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 09:10:34 pm »

.... red martians?

And yes, I had to laugh at the last line of that post "Where the Devil was Nightshade?" Was pretty much the last thing I expected Loftis to say.

Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »

In ERB's "Barsoom" books (a must read for steampunkers!), "red" martians are essentially civilized humans but with skin pigmented to match the light on the red planet, while the "green" are hideous, 4-armed humanoid barbarians called Tharks.  (There's also a race of bodiless heads called kaldanes that crawl around on tentacles and attach themselves to slave bodies, I believe the inspiration for the "head crabs" in the game HalfLife Wink .) The red's technology includes airships using "the fifth ray" (?) for lift, and their primary city is ironically named Helium.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 11:04:41 pm »

Those books sound fantastic.  I may be making a trip to the library to see if they have them.

GAH this day at work is going on entirely too long.  I have to get home and write!

By the way, I can't help but hearing Jonathan Pryce in my brain whenever Nightshade speaks.  Makes me want to watch either Something Wicked This Way Comes or Whose Line Is It Anyway (if you haven't seen Jonathan Pryce do improvisational comedy, do so.)
Nightshade and Gray?  Wink
Zuttle D. Curious
Snr. Officer

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 11:29:53 pm »

Those books sound fantastic.  I may be making a trip to the library to see if they have them.

In general I have found that libraries generally post their catalog online. You could probably check without having to go to the building Smiley I already checked our libraries catalog, Not a trace of the books Sad 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 12:20:58 am »

Agreed, could be a good tie-in for why Dan got funding for his shipbuilding, only to be conveniently absent when Nightshade took over at the unscheduled launch, and Bailey then arrived late?  This is presuming Bailey knows more than he is currently saying, and was following a trail already...  Wink

Indeed. I'm beginning to think that, perhaps, Bailey is the fly that keeps showing up in the plotters' ointment, and his involvement all started when he and his volunteers went after Khaisin Shah, or perhaps before withiout his knowledge; along the way, perhaps he stumbled oin an investigation and was warned off by its participants -- but because the Air Pirate Khaisin Shah was one of the plotters, and acted toward the Sultana (gunned her from the sky) in accordance wit the wishes of his fellow plotters, Bailey decided to continue anyway.

Perhaps he doesn't really suspect exactly what they are doing, but he does know it involves the subjugation of the British Empire (his adopted country), and that in any case, they are responsible for the deaths of quite a few of his dearest friends and co-workers, which in his mind means vengeance is in order, and teh threat to britain means he should do something about it, as he seems to be able to keep getting in their way...

(The British connection being dependent upon whether or not there is still a british empire to be threatened, of course...)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:05:43 am by MWBailey » Logged
Cornelius Nightshade
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 04:12:27 am »

No I have read " at the earths core" and a follow up to it loved it! but never got to his Mars stories, i will now.
I have read some of the "space 1889" rpg stuff, never realy played it. kind or hard to find that kind of time. One of the reasons I gave this a try, i can rp at my own time and pace.
And  Ms. Askew, love the photo!!
jim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:56:07 am by Cornelius Nightshade » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 09:32:41 am »

Nightshade (or someone else) is welcome to incorporate my last post it into some of their twisted schemes. Maybe the 'problem' on Mars isn't really what it appears to be?

Or perhaps Governor Corwell wants someone who wouldn't be seen as 'being involved' in the situation, and who also doesn't know anything about their real plans, to keep an eye on Nightshade and a few of the others on the ship? 

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 11:05:08 am »

Bailey has left the ship, been attacked by Holts, who did so only to have been knocked out by Bailey';s thrown Khukri knife (lol, they aren't made to be thrown, after all;)) and handed over to the port guards, who saw teh whole thing...

And now Bailey is proceeding to the saloon where Nightshade seems to have holed up for the day...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:09:18 am by MWBailey » Logged
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »

Nice transition, Mr. Bailey, we're starting to nail down the specifics of the plot in good fashion.

Good photo of Nightshade, Ms. Askew, although I resent being thought as old as Jason Robards!  Wink  I think of Theo more like this, IMHO:

Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »

BTW, I'd thought to share part my "Classic Adventure" library list, sans the more modern steampunk novels we're all familiar with:

Jules Verne   
20,000 Leagues under the Sea
Around the World in 80 Days
From the Earth to the Moon
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Mysterious Island

H.G. Wells   
War of the Worlds
The Time Machine
The Invisible Man
The Island of Dr. Moreau
The First Men in the Moon
In the Days of the Comet
The Shape of Things to Come
The Food of the Gods
Little Wars

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle   
The Lost World
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Bram Stoker   
Dracula
Lair of the White Worm

Mary Shelley
Frankenstein

Edgar Allen Poe   
Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym

Edgar Rice Burroughs   
Barsoom Series – A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, The Warlord of Mars, Thuvia Maid of Mars, The Chessmen of Mars, The Master Mind of Mars, A Fighting Man of Mars, Swords of Mars, Synthetic Men of Mars, Llana of Gathol, John Carter of Mars
Pellucidar Series – At the Earth’s Core, Pellucidar, Tanar of Pellucidar, Tarzan at the Earth’s Core, Back to the Stone Age, Land of Terror, Savage Pellucidar
Caspak Series – The Land that Time Forgot, The People that Time Forgot, Out of Time’s Abyss
Carson Napier of Venus Series – Pirates of Venus, Lost on Venus, Carson of Venus, Escape on Venus, The Wizard of Venus
Moon Men Series – The Moon Maid, The Moon Men, The Red Hawk
Tarzan of the Apes Series – Tarzan of the Apes, The Return of Tarzan, The Beasts of Tarzan, The Son of Tarzan

The Lost Continent

Enjoy!  Best, Theo

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:32:45 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2010, 03:37:35 pm »

Good photo of Nightshade, Ms. Askew, although I resent being thought as old as Jason Robards!  Wink  I think of Theo more like this, IMHO:

I meant no offense, sir!  Wink  I wasn't really sure how old you were, and I remember you saying you had gray hair.  (Or salt-and-pepper?  I can't remember which.)  Ed Harris is very handsome!  I based Iphigenia's looks loosely on myself.  She's slimmer and younger, though.  My confusion about the Masonic plot is also real - I don't know much about them IRL.

How sad is it that although I'm a huge steampunk fan, I've read little Verne or Burroughs?  This must be rectified.

Oh well, off to work!  See you all in a few hours...  Smiley
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

No offense taken, Miss Askew.  Wink  I also base my character somewhat on myself, 40ish with thinning, greying hair.  Tongue  As for the freemasons, they've long been held out as the secret movers and shakers in many plots, real or imagined, notably because of the secrecy and antiquity of the group, and the many very highly placed men who have been members, past and present.  Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry

Mr. Nightshade's reference to the Space 1889 RPG is also very appropriate to our storyline, here's a good overview to peruse: http://www.space1889.org/

BTW, I've been assuming our storyline was set circa 1899, hence the references to the famous 1895 map of mars in the ready room and Grey's 1896 Mauser pistol.  That agreeable to everyone?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:50:49 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged
Cornelius Nightshade
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »

Mr. Bailey, so glade you survived the assassination attempt “good show!” and well played.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: