The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:29:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H.M.A.S Badger ~ Online Æther Ship ~ Member's Wanted (OOC Thread)  (Read 35184 times)
sevenlies
Officer
United States United States

Hier kommt der panzermensch!

sevenlies
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:11:08 pm »

Hello!

Thanks to the moderators who moved our main thread to the Portrayal forum.  Since it is customary to open an OOC thread for discussions not pertaining to the game, I've gone ahead and done so.

I believe the best way to start is to post character descriptions?  Maybe a brief backstory/history?

Iphigenia P. Askew
Founding member of The Ladies Supernatural Exterminators Association - New Orleans Local no. 13

Seven lies multiplied by seven
Multiplied by seven again
Seven angels with seven trumpets
Send them home on the morning train
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

Commanding the FAAS Widow's Son

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:31:28 pm »

Outstanding idea, my dear.

I am Theosophus Michaeline Grey, Lieutenant (ret), late of the American wet and air navies after a 30-year career, having joined as a swabbie at 16 and been given a field commission to Ensign after action in the Far East; later promoted twice as an oceanic officer and finally, after transferring to the aerial navy, given command of the FAAS Revenant, from whose bridge I retired after ten years in the captain's chair.  A ship's brat through and through, I quite literally grew up at sea aboard my uncle's clippership, berthed out of Boston and Hong Kong on the China trade, much to the chagrin of my snooty brahmin relations.

Of average height (5'10") with a swimmer's build, I keep my face clean-shaven and my slowly greying hair short.  My piercing gunmetal-blue eyes miss no detail, and years of command have given me both a take-charge attitude and a bit of world-weary sarcasm.  Trim and fit for my age (aside from a slight limp obtained in a scuffle with South China Seas pirates), I enjoy a day afield stalking or a round of sabre at my club, where I maintain rooms for the rare occasions I'm to home.  A self-educated man, I consider a quiet drink of single malt with a good book and a wax cylinder of music on the victrola as an evening aboard ship well spent.  Although a very private man as a practice, once I can call someone a friend I am loyal and forthcoming to a fault.  Appearing taciturn or even grim to most who meet me, I actually have a broad sense of humor and enjoy a good laugh in proper company, and am compassionate to those I believe have earned my respect.  

When on duty, I wear my old custom-tailored airservice high-necked black wool tunic and slacks, decorated with silver Lieutenant's bars and stripes, over knee-high black leather boots, silvered-lensed goggles hung around my neck for quick use.  Daily ordnance includes a blued .44 derringer hidden in my waistband and a silver-hilted fighting dagger in my right boot top, although I also maintain a blue-bladed sabre and a 1896 Broomhandle Mauser 7.62mm pistol on a heavy black leather harness, for boarding actions and other social occasions.  Aside from my navigational instruments and a small personal library for use aboard ship, I travel light and have little to ever leave behind.  

When I answered Major Dan's advertisement for the Badger, I saw it as a new horizon to set sail for.  Looking forward to dining with you. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:40:07 pm by Theosophus Grey » Logged

A gentleman and a scholar, albeit heavily armed.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:23:58 pm »

Iphigenia P. Askew (Iphi to close friends) stands about 5'5" tall.  She has a curvaceous build, which she accentuates by wearing designer top-of-clothes corsets.  She has wavy chestnut brown hair, and hazel eyes.  Her skin is fair, although she gets red spots in her cheeks when she is winded.  Her age seems to be about mid or late twenties.

She was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.  When she was very young her family moved to an aether ship so her father could find steady work as a mechanic/engineer.  When she was 6 years old, her father died in a terrible accident while working on the ship, and left her mother to raise both Iphi and her one-year-old brother, Morgan.  Her mother remarried the ship's captain, Hiram Chickering.  Iphi’s stepfather taught her and her brother about the ship and its workings while she wasn’t in school, as well as taught her how to shoot guns and properly duel with bladed weapons.  This, along with the fact Iphi’s father was a mechanic, meant years of cruel teasing by the other girls.  Instead of wearing her down, this just gave Iphi more resolve to stand out and live on her own terms.  She left the aether ship when she was 17 and returned to New Orleans.  She made a very modest living by teaching ladies of the evening basic etiquette and a smattering of self-defense (although she was not one of these ladies herself).

Her brother, Morgan, who had taken up working as an engineer on Hiram’s ship, had disappeared while they were in port in London.  He didn’t report to work for three days, and after that time his manager decided to report it to the Captain since Morgan was his stepson.  A furious search went out all over the ship, and communications went out all over, but he was nowhere to be found.  Rumors started that he had joined an air pirate group that had been attacking aether ships recently.  Both she and her mother couldn’t believe that Morgan would turn so callously away from the fleet and ships he had called home.

Iphi decided then and there to find her brother, and clear his name.  Iphi's clockworker fiancee, Tom, knowing her stubbornness, sent her on her way with a kiss, a new parasol, and a small gold watch on her chatelaine that would always tell the time at home.  Since Iphi last heard someone saw her brother in London, she endeavored to start there.  While there, her search pointed her to the new aether ship Badger, and suggested that her brother may be bound for the stars...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »

Marius Wellingtonian Bailey,
"MW" to friends and equal or familiar ranking associates, "Sarge" or "Top" to subordinates.
Stands approximately 6 feet 1 inch in his Wellingtons
Hair: Salt-and-pepper silver and dark brown; first stages of baldness
Eyes: one blue shot through with red; other eye lost, covered by large eyepatches; owns many of assorted colors and patterns
Complexion: variable, from near-deathly white to dark olive tan, depending upon exposire to UV or sunlight.
Build: muscular, but tending now toward slight thickening of torso, etc.
Uniform: standard Space Security Service long-pants khakis, standard pistol-and-nightstick armament, but includes Khukuri in left shoulder scabbard, attached to Pistol harness, white-painted steel Pith Helmet, narrow pattern.
Weapons:
Silver Kothi-Mora type jungle-fighting/air-securityman's Khukuri (9/16" thick, 12 inch blade, 17 inches overall, narrow leaf-shaped blade); .454 Webley 8-shot revolver; standard nightstick truncheon. Also proficient with most rifles of type kept in storage by vessels, for use in repelling boarders, etc. Is one of few who has operated both laser- and ray-rifle under fire; Proficient with , but does not usually carry, standard crewman's cutlass; the khukuri most often serves the same purpose, and many times better.

History:

Born in Provincia de Tejas of New Spain,

Enlisted in revolutionary army under James Fannin; was not selected by black bean for execution.

survived until a nocturnal trailside escape, by eating berries and mesquite beans stolen while on forced
march to San Antonio de Bexar after the "Incident" at Goliad. (Massacre of Fannin and  the black-bean selectees). re-enlisted with "General Sam" Houston during the Runaway Scrape, and distinguished himself at Battle of San Jacinto; was  at head of first wave into Mexican Camp and captured two Mexican field-pieces, and turned them on their fellows, thus summarily removing them from the action. Led Sortie into the marshes that found the out-of-uniform Generalissimo  de Santa Ana hiding in a low spot.

After the War, traveled to Sacramento on the Western coast of North America, and signed on aboard the HM Air Frigate Aedonitis as deckhand; was Royal Air Marine Corporal by the time the ship made Berth in Calcutta,  fought in the Royal Air Marines Rifles component of the Khyber Pass Offensive, and subsequently opted for transition to Royal Indian Air Security Service, woked up to rank of Detective sergeant Major, busted back later to Detective Sergeant. Has been known to "go after  the guilty party, even if it's my boss." Served until recently aboard teh armed SkyLiner Sultana, until the noted air pirate who called himself "Khaisin Shah" shot her down, he did not gloat for long, however,as MW and five subordinate Security  officers from the Sultana revived and came after the pirate; they cornered him , and when he refused to surrender his saber to six security officers "armed  only with misshapen butcher knives" (their KhuKuri's) they killed him with those same "butcher" knives.

Was furloughed after Air Service went into Bankruptcy, and then Right Honorably Discharged, and even issued a Silver Retirement Khukuri -- but given no pension, even after twenty years, so here he is, serving out his "retirement" as a security officer yet again.

Make no mistake, Bailey is not the 'retiring" type, and will poke into anything that seems suspicious, even if peers of the realm or high-ranking officials of the Company are involved. Known for tendency to think first, then act, but also tends to go by his gut and charge when the chips fall awry. Will NOT  give up once he "sets his teeth in," so to speak. Also a valiant, though often unorthodox, Warrior, and "mad-dog mean " when his ship is boarded. Has been known to fight guerilla-style aboard ship when no other alternative was  available.

For leisure, plays several instruments well (banjo; wooden 6-key flute; military fife). Also sketches well., and reads almost anything he can get a hold of.

(better stop this and leave room for everybody else, LOL).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:50:31 pm »

Seems we have some interesting characters on board.  LOL.  Smiley  I wouldn't worry about leaving room for everyone else - I have a penchant for overly detailed character descriptions as well.  I narrowed mine down from what it was!

Is this everyone's first RP thread?  It's mine, but I've been lurking about the forum for a while now, and just didn't want to throw myself in an established game.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:50 pm »

Seems we have some interesting characters on board.  LOL.  Smiley  I wouldn't worry about leaving room for everyone else - I have a penchant for overly detailed character descriptions as well.  I narrowed mine down from what it was!

Is this everyone's first RP thread?  It's mine, but I've been lurking about the forum for a while now, and just didn't want to throw myself in an established game.

Not my first, I just always play like I never have before(lol).  I guess I'm practicing for Alzheimer's (is 49)
Reverend Panic
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamsloth

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 12:00:36 am »

Morgan Panic.

A scruffy young man in his mid twenties. Around 5Ft6, quote short for his age. chesnut hair in a large braid running down his back with a number of bells adorning the tie at the end of it which let out a jingling noise when he moves. He has pale skin and freckles, not a sickly pale, green eyes.

Build: Petite.

Clothing: Dark blue Jacobite style shirt, Black waistcoat and Harem pants, evidently being held up by thick bracers clipped onto a utility belt, what looks like a Holstered pistol on the left hand side, and on the right is a number of pouches ranging in size. On his feet he wears a pair of leather Tabi, allowing him to walk almost silently, if not for the bells.

Often seen lugging a violin case about. Fond of apples. timid.

Come and chat in the IRC, #Brassgoggles on Freenode, or click this link for the Browser based IRC Application:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=brassgoggles

(We have cookies.)
Cornelius Nightshade
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 07:20:05 pm »

Many words describe  Mr. Cornelius Nightshade,
 words like Conspirator, Villain, Miscreant, Evildoer ,Delinquent, Insidious scoundrel, Dastardly Rapscallion, Ne'er-do-well, Gentleman Exploiter,nit-picky bastard, and murderous cat hater, HEROIC FINANCIER are but a few,,,

-----------------------------------
Cornelius Nightshade at your service.

As the duly appointed representative if the financial backers of this ship { The New Lloyds’ of London,  to be exact } I will be sticking my nose into any and all places unwanted, other wise making a dammed nuisance of myself.
A picky high maintenance passenger at the best of times, let any of my impossible demands not be promptly met at your peril.

“ I can assure you sir! THAT IT WILL GO IN MY NEXT REPORT!”
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:41:49 am by Cornelius Nightshade » Logged
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:27:14 pm »

Said report to be indeterminately delayed when the aether telegraph mysteriously "breaks down"...  Wink

I am enjoying our exchange immensely, Mr. Nightshade, onward and upward... to the Moon!

Cheers, Theo
Mr Mephistopheles Grimm
Deck Hand

I'm Absinthelicious

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:51:42 am »

Mephistopheles was born the only son of a hardly known, but skilled, locksmith and his wife. He was always found tinkering with machinery and in his later years, books of magic. The untimely death of his father when he was seventeen years of age, thrust him into a life of poverty. Attempting to scrounge up living money for his mother and himself for many years, until she finally succumbed to old age. He was thirty-two, and had made himself a fixture in his home town of Saint Gesoph.

He is a white male of thirty-three years of age, standing six feet seven inches, with a stocky yet powerful build, and completely bald save for a small yet dashing goatee. He typically wears quiet, static colors. Gray, black, occasionally silver accents his mood. He is a tad bit eccentric, but any who hear him speak know his wisdom and ability to see events from all perspectives. A well-mannered and tempered gentleman, but armed quite heavily- having push daggers hidden about his sleeves, knives, and two pistols concealed about his person. His left eye had been removed as a teenager during an incident involving a steamcycle and a street vendor. What lays there now is a black tinted monogoggle. His only vices are smoking sailors tobacco (mugwort) and drinking what he believes to be the most divine liquid in this world and any other: absinthe. His knowledge of the occult covers a large variety of subjects, but the most used ones regard gathering information from unseen forces, and using it to his advantage in many ways.

Anything you'd specifically like to know more about? Ask me!
However, the incident with the steamcycle and street vendor is a sore subject...

We will find a way, or make one. ~ Hannibal
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 08:29:02 am »

{Bah! this was posted on accident in the IC thread, so I removed the original and reposted it here. sorry about that  Embarrassed }

As the ship is already on it's way, might I join when you reach the moon?

also would you mind if I wrote a description of the lunar environment? I was thinking along the lines of what scientists (1600-1700's?) thought: a habitable environment with it's own plant and animal life (no native people though) and a breathable atmosphere but a thin one (making lighter-than-air travel possible but difficult, and providing less protection from the sun's rays.)

I'd also like to include tame moon dragons that are used sort of like horses on the moon. (lower gravity, so they can fly with riders.) I thought it sounded whimsical and cool, but if it's too fantasy-ish I'll leave it out.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Cornelius Nightshade
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:34 am »

Likewise! Acting Captain Gray, It makes me feel so good to be so bad.
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:46:10 pm »

{Bah! this was posted on accident in the IC thread, so I removed the original and reposted it here. sorry about that  Embarrassed }

As the ship is already on it's way, might I join when you reach the moon?

also would you mind if I wrote a description of the lunar environment? I was thinking along the lines of what scientists (1600-1700's?) thought: a habitable environment with it's own plant and animal life (no native people though) and a breathable atmosphere but a thin one (making lighter-than-air travel possible but difficult, and providing less protection from the sun's rays.)

I'd also like to include tame moon dragons that are used sort of like horses on the moon. (lower gravity, so they can fly with riders.) I thought it sounded whimsical and cool, but if it's too fantasy-ish I'll leave it out.

Not at all Alexis, this is an open storyline - perhaps you could meet us on arrival in Victoria to take receipt of some ordered scientific equipment, and jump in there.  Your descriptions would make good salon conversation with the wealthy passengers, some of whom could perhaps be persuaded to fund your lunar research - ?  Welcome aboard!
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 11:56:12 pm »

My thanks!  Smiley

I shall post soon!
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 12:40:39 am »

I seem to have missed a fairly good exchange last night!

FYI - I work in an office through the week, so I can't always post during the day.  I plan on playing catch-up and such in the evenings and weekends.  I just don't want anyone to think I'm ignoring them...I'll try to involve myself as much as possible!  (I'm having too much fun not to!)  Smiley
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 03:13:02 am »

I'll try not to feel too neglected *sniff*

If teh techs messing with the antenna leads is a problem, I'll remove or re-write it; it just seemed to be the sort of monkeyshines the tech contingent of a vessel might pull on their special objetc of hatred, and Nightshade strikes me as somebody who would deny that a lowly technician would be able to cause him even a slight setback or problem, and so would be more or less invisible... That Arguild would do something of that sort, well, make of it what you will...
Cornelius Nightshade
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 03:24:20 am »

NO,NO,NO, I love it,, let it stand!
Nightshade has given plenty reason to be picked on,,,,
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:27:13 am by Cornelius Nightshade » Logged
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 04:05:19 am »

A truer statement was never uttered!  Tongue
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 06:10:34 am »

A truer statement was never uttered!  Tongue

Hmmm... Wink
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 01:02:54 pm »

All ripping stuff, everyone!  The more complex and mysterious this story gets, the better I like it.  Love your jumping in on a random detail like the missing brandy, Ms. Curious, great plot twist.  BTW, I fixed the incorrect Mars reference, we are landing on the Moon after all (must have been all that brandy...).  Roll Eyes  Alexis, wonderfully visual details of the Moon's ecosystem, keep it coming.  Best, Theo
Cornelius Nightshade
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 05:30:44 am »

.Apologies to Mr. M W Bailey  You sent me a message AFTER I posted the bit  about “ the Germans. Later it occurred to me I should have messaged you before I stuck some thing new into Baileys history.

I believed I needed the Germans in the plot and thought it would add a little spice to toss in a sub plot too. This is my first forum rp so excuse me please if I don’t know all the Proper Edicate

jim
Zuttle D. Curious
Snr. Officer

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 07:08:11 am »

I'm very glad to hear that so far I am only one of three first timers to Role playing Smiley

Also... I'm sorry if my last post was a little too far.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 09:47:38 am »

Actually, it gives bailey a reason to be moving around; Bailey needs to leave the ship at some point to for teh purpose of getting shot at (another plot comp with Player Nightshade); perhaps bailey could trail or chase Zuttle, and get shotbut also getthe shooter at same time. Would Zuttle get away and come back, get captured by bailey /moonbase security, or how would you prefer that Zuttle's end of the action plays out? (zuutle would not be teh shooyer, it would have to be Nightshade's mister Holts
froma few posts ago...)

(Sorry,Mr. Nightshade, I left teh comp. running and became comatose in bed. now I can't sleep at ten minutes til  three AM... (coughing, sneezing, yadda yadda).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:53:25 am by MWBailey » Logged
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 12:31:13 pm »

Agreed, it ties in nicely to the Illuminati backstory, there's a good long-term plot being developed around Nightshade that we can all share in.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 01:09:17 pm »

Interesting change in the backstory.  Illuminati?  Germany assassins?  Very good, all of it!

I'm not really sure how to involve myself now.  Hmm.  Will have to give this some thought...  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: