The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 10:19:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1877 W & M Dodge Co. Pocketwatch Manchester Eng. Who Made Movement/Worth?  (Read 5699 times)
deetee4171
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 04, 2010, 10:14:25 pm »

Hi.
   I have an 1877 Sterling silver Pocketwatch from Manchester England all info are from hallmarks, The Open face chronograph with 2 sunken dails says W & M DODGE & CO. Manchester England who is the retailer and sold many other high end silver & non silver items. The Works are not signed just has a very low serial #1004. I Just need to know who the watchmaker was for the Dodge Company in 1877?? Please help in 2 years no one's been able to give me an answer, Hope you can! Plus I'm thinking of selling it but have no Idea what it's worth and don't know what to ask for it, From what I've seen from other English Pocket watch's they are asking 1000 pounds for a watch like this.
                                                                          Thanks For Your Help!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:34:20 pm by deetee4171 » Logged
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:52:26 am »

Hi..
   A really good clear movement pic sure would help track it down.. The movement could have been sourced from several sources, either British or Swiss.
However, in Manchester, in that time frame ,J.HARRIS & SONS were making chrono's, although I'd have to dig and see if they did any with multiple subdials..

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:00:54 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:31:49 pm »

Hi.
   I have an 1877 Sterling silver Pocketwatch from Manchester England all info are from hallmarks, The Open face chronograph with 2 sunken dails says W & M DODGE & CO. who is the retailer and sold many other high end silver & non silver items. The Works are not signed just has a very low serial #1004. I Just need to know who the watchmaker was for the Dodge Company in 1877?? Please help in 2 years no one's been able to give me an answer, Hope you can!
                                                                          Thanks For Your Help!!!
Here are the Photo's.

deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:38:58 pm »

Bigger Photo of Movement.

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »

Thanks, I'll get on it... Can you tell me exactly what is written on the movement plates , especially any markings where the balance cock/regulatr is screwed on? (thats the part with the "fast/slow" markings..

Cheers
Harold
deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:08:35 pm »

Hi,
    All it says on movement is Fast Slow Patents 4164 with 2604 under that and 1004 for serial # and that's it.
                                                        Thanks
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:29:51 am »

Looks like the NAWCC boys didn't have anything either, save for the dates for Dodge?  Grin
I'll keep digging..

Cheers
Harold
deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 12:10:55 am »

I have been searching for the maker of this watches movement for years, I just can't believe know one knows anything?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:56:16 am »

Well..
   I haven't given up, but this sort of thing is common with some of the English watches of this period. Usually, English makers signed their movements, but if to make up on volume they used a European ebauche as a start, well, then it gets tricky. I'm looking at the basic  design of the movement for clues. Hopefully, I'll eventually come up with something..

Cheers
Harold
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:20:57 am »

Patent CH4164 was registered to John Shakesphere in Dudley England in 1891, and seems to describe a technique for putting the additional registers on the watch. 
http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=CH&NR=4164A&KC=A&FT=D&date=18920229&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

Patent CH2604 was registered to Edmund Louis Bonnefon in Paris in 1890, but it seems to desribe some sort of paper recording instrument.  Still, the picture on the patent looks like a watch, so clearly my french isn't up to the task:
http://v3.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=CH&NR=2604A&KC=A&FT=D&date=18910131&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

Dunno if that helps, but Mr. Shakesphere seems like a contender for the watchmaker in question.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 01:45:43 am »

Can't seem to find any info on a watchmaker named Shakespear that worked for W&M Dodge? Can anyone tell me what this watch is worth? I'm thinking of selling it but don't know what to ask for it it is working and is sterling silver.
                                                                    Thanks Again
deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 08:54:16 pm »

HI,
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A POCKET WATCH LIKE THIS IS WORTH IN TODAYS MARKET? I'M THINKING OF SELLING IT, BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO ASK?                                                     
                                           Thanks Again
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:34:46 pm by deetee4171 » Logged
deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 06:26:00 pm »

HI,
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT A POCKET WATCH LIKE THIS IS WORTH IN TODAYS MARKET? I'M THINKING OF SELLING IT, BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO ASK?                                                     
                                           Thanks Again
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »

Its hard to say.  From the looks of it, its a early chronostop of some sort, which is interesting but doesn't put the value up substantially.  Consider these auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Antique-Silver-Pocket-Chronograph-Stop-Watch-Ascot-1887_W0QQitemZ230459327987QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewellery_Watches_Pocket_Watches_Accessories_ET?hash=item35a87245f3

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Antique-Victorian-Chronograph-Pocket-Watch-Gold-Gild-NR_W0QQitemZ250607978755QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPocket_Watches?hash=item3a59664903

Just based on these and other auctions, don't expect it to fetch too much.
deetee4171
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:37 pm »

Hello!
          Well after over a year of searching I have finaly Found the maker of this great Looking Chrono-Micrometer, apparently W & M Dodge was a large retail outlet in Manchester during the 1800's and ordered some pocket watches from *THE ENGLISH WATCH COMPANY* in Birmingham England. It is from 1884 not 77 and the company only made watches for a 20 year period, Brain Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the world lists:- English Watch co Birmingham Warickshire 1876-96 with a total of 200,000 watches made. This is much rarer due to the Dodge signature, the rest were signed English Watch Co. I was told in excellent condition it books from $2500-$3000, There are 2 on ebay one person is asking $1,555 US and Then theres mine for $800 US. So if you see 3 overlapping letters on case or movement with the letters EWC you have an English Watch Co.

The companys logo is the EWCo conjoined and stamped on the dial plate, Case or Movement. They were machined made movements formed from the bankrupt Anglo- American Watch Company, set up by Arron Dennison in Birmingham, England, in 1874.
The works manager was a Charles Haseler, a Robert Bragge was the casemaker (RB) as initialed on my watch.
This was the first attempt at manufacturing watches based on the American System, using the old Tremont Watch Company machinery in England, they went on to produce around 200.000 watches, untill 1897.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: