The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 05:41:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wet heads and Dag makers! Practitioners of classic photography sign in!  (Read 7184 times)
phuphuphnik
Officer
United States United States

« on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:57 am »

Do you think that film is something you brush off you teeth? Does digital make you think of what the Doctor gives you when you reach a certain age? Do you wish to learn about Victorian photography? Welcome!

I do Wet plate, Daguerreotypes, and Uranotypes. Working on starting a studio business, but for now it is only fun.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:37 am »

Among other ongoing endeavors, I am using a (very crude) homemade camera obscura to try and figure out how to use such a device (No scans of tracings yet). I'll post a few views of my li'l Dark Box when I figure out where I put them... (lol).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »

I'll be interested to see what people come up with here. My oldest gear is from the mid to late 1970s but I've always been intrigued by the glass plate era.
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:30:12 pm »

Some of my latest. We have Prof TR Johnson, a family tree and The Wife.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:32:00 pm by phuphuphnik » Logged
Miles (a sailor)Martin
Zeppelin Admiral

Just a head full of random thoughts

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:52:20 am »

just a note for y'all Lindsay's Publications has seven books on vintage photograpy,prices start at 12 usd plus shipping

Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:50:43 am »

As Promised, a few views of my (all too humble) homemade experimental Camera Obscura Tobacconista (Very, very tongue-in-cheek).

Basically, a Cigar Box Camera Obscura Sketchbox.

Not really a proper photographic device, but a step in the evolution thereof. Niepce(sp?) took that famous pic of his greenhouse (the one done in "bitumen of judaea" with lavendar oil on a metal plate) with a much more refined, but essentially very similar, device.

Just thought I'd post that. Hopefully its not too off-topic.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:58:46 am by MWBailey » Logged
Yaquina
Snr. Officer

A Time Traveller has all the time in the world...

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:33:05 pm »

Greetings all,

I do quite a bit of historically based photography. I have a studio in Salem, Oregon and work with a number of different types of photography. Besides the digital work for everyday business, I have for years been involved in Living History events of different time periods, generally portraying a photographer of the time at any one of them.

From Victorian, to WWII I have shot a lot of film. Here are some shots of my current equipment.

For my Victorian work (Cabinet Card Photography)

Conley 5x7 Portrait Camera

Eastman View - 5x7, with Portrait Back.

VOIGTLANDER Avus 9X12 CM Folding Plate Camera ~ Very late, about 1915, but a seriously cool tiny little plate camera.

For my WWII work I use a 1941 US Army Issued Speed Graphic, with Graflex flash tower and all the fittings. This camera has served me well.

Dana
www.YaquinaPhotography.com

phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:36:53 am »

Quite nice! I have one of those little Voitlanders, only 3 film holders, though. If you want another Graflex let me know. I love my 2D, need a plate back to do BIG tintypes. Welcome to the club. BTW, do you do Albumen prints for the CDV?
Yaquina
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »

Albumen would be nice but it's not very cost efficient. Around the late 1880's Collodion and Gelatin papers started to become popular, both of which give about the same contrast and B&W tones as todays paper, so I use those. I do have a trick here and there up my sleeve that give my shots a bit of sepia, which works out well.

Actually, I am in the market for a Speed Graphic; depending on the model. If you have something from between 1930 and 1945, let's talk. I have seven Kodak brand cut film backs for the Voltlander if you are interested. Perhaps we can work out a deal.  Cool

Dana
www.YaquinaPhotography.com
BrittleWrists
Officer

Buckshot Billie, Patron Saint of Things Gone Wrong

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »

This will most likely get me laughed out of here, but the most I've done so far has been cyanotype. I also did an extremely short apprenticeship-type-thing with a wet-plate photographer here in Kansas City. Really, I wouldn't be completely clueless if asked to prepare, expose, and develop a plate, but I'm by no means an expert.

(Sorry for the kind of off-topic introduction.)

hurt harm halogen hush
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 03:19:44 pm »

This will most likely get me laughed out of here, but the most I've done so far has been cyanotype. I also did an extremely short apprenticeship-type-thing with a wet-plate photographer here in Kansas City. Really, I wouldn't be completely clueless if asked to prepare, expose, and develop a plate, but I'm by no means an expert.

(Sorry for the kind of off-topic introduction.)

Not at all! I consider POP and other print making to be included! Welcome! WELCOME!
phuphuphnik
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:30:51 am »

i've noticed that a few of teh above pics show cameras with accordion/concertina-like folding paper-and-leather focus extenders (sorry, my terminology is not up to speed).

Does anyone know of a link to a process by which one can make such accordion folded forms? I know of a couple of concertina sites that do so, but they are for hexagonal and octagonal bellows; square bellows tutorials seem to be hard to find, so far.
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 02:23:31 pm »

Does anyone know of a link to a process by which one can make such accordion folded forms? I know of a couple of concertina sites that do so, but they are for hexagonal and octagonal bellows; square bellows tutorials seem to be hard to find, so far.

Here ya go!
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/bellows.html
http://www.stockholmviews.com/diyphotogear/scannercamera3.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/bellows-for-large-format-camera/
Cheers!
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 02:51:11 am »

Bought a new lens from the Netherlands. It is an f/8 with F11,33,and 62 walterhouse stops.
Took this sample of the back yard. Nice to be able to take images in full sun.
This is a wet plate tintype. F31 full sun 8 seconds. This gives an ISO of about .8 not too shabby. The original size is CDV so about 4.25x3.25 inches
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 02:54:33 am »

Another one. This is a 2x2 Daguerreotype of daughter #1. f 5.6 for 1 min. Bequerel development, iodine to second rose colour.  This was a gift to flea market friends of ours.
Yaquina
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 07:50:56 am »

I thought I would share a recent bit of work. Bear in mind that this image is NSW and features nudity, although very artfully done. I have been doing a lot of shooting at my studio with my 1898 Conley Portrait Camera as well as a few other vintage cameras and this is one of several shots that has resulted thus far.

I have posted others in my portfolio at www.ModelMayhem.com/YaquinaPhotography, in the Period Photography section of my port.

Some are experiments and tests (which are not the best quality) and some are far more refined. A couple of them I placed on digital cabinet cards for effect. These images are under copyright so please, no copying/saving. Thanks, enjoy, and let me know what you think.

http://www.yaquinaphotography.com/cabinetcard001.JPG
Dave_G
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 01:19:37 pm »

I have "messed around" with photography for years, I was given a "make your own photo's" kit as a kid and started developing my own prints, messing around with pin hole cameras etc. Progressing through Instamatic's and compacts, 35mm and SLRs.
Now use Nikon digital. Still have my OM 10 and use it now and again.
Nice portfolio BTW.I'm http://www.modelmayhem.com/1453226

"Watcher of the skies.... watcher of all"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: