The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:21:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leather and glue process?  (Read 1147 times)
pixlaw
Gunner
United States United States

« on: February 17, 2010, 06:01:00 pm »

A question for you leather-workers out there.  I've got a piece of leather I've carefully shaped to fit around a computer mouse, and I plan to use Barge contact cement to attach it.  It looks like the instructions are just like other contact cements...you coat both surfaces, let dry and then put the two surfaces together, pressing firmly, and then let cure.  But how to "press firmly" with a curvy 3-D surface like a mouse?  If I were attaching 2 flat surfaces I'd clamp it overnight, but that won't work with a mouse.  Rubber bands wrapped around it in several places, maybe?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:07:11 pm »

Contact adhesive should bond more or less instantly, clamping isn;t required.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »

Rubber bands work very well. You can also use small wood blocks to push in on areas where the rubberband does not make good contact.

Achrist
Snr. Officer
Belgium Belgium

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:10 pm »

Contact adhesive should bond more or less instantly, clamping isn;t required.
Exactly, it bonds on "contact". The harder you push the better it works.The first push is the most important. If I glue two pieces of leather or cardboard,  I hit it with a hammer or give it a firm squeeze in a vice. I guess the hammer/vice is not an option  Cool So just push as hard as the mousse will allow you. Also remember the leather will stretch.
Use abrasive paper on the plastic parts and clean with acetone (careful, plastic will melt) If you use the leather with the suede side up, so gluing the smooth side, you also should rough up that (smooth)side with abrasive paper.
Contact Glue bonds instantly but it will need a 24 hours to reach complete "hardness". Let it rest a day before you start to really use whatever you made. A hairdryer will speed things up (all the fumes have to come out) but if you used acetone on the leather chances are things will blow up, so better not.
Use a "Test Project" if you're working with "new" materials.

If you apply the contact glue as it is meant to, rubber bands will do nothing more for it. If it doesn't take on contact you did something wrong.( Probably the preparation/cleaning. )

Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:23:44 pm »

Good points have already been made about contact cement, but if you are worried about pressing the surfaces together evenly, you can try vacuum-bagging it. More or less, just use a sturdy plastic bag to surround the object, and use a shop-vac or largish vacuum-cleaner to suck out the air. Atmospheric pressure should do the rest, acting perpendicular to all surfaces. This is trickier if you have to hold vacuum for some length of time, as in some wood-lamination operations, which I've seen done, but not tried myself, but for 10–15 seconds to gain a bond, just run the shop-vac.
Oh, and don't forget to have good ventilation: contact cement is nasty stuff. I've had headaches from it.
pixlaw
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:39:58 am »

Many thanks for the helpful advice.  Yeah, I'd kind of thought that whacking it with a hammer would probably not work  O.K., the gluing would work, but the mouse wouldn't after I finished hitting it.   But the vacuum bagging idea wounds quite do-able.  Well, when I get it done, I'll post pictures on the main tactile board.

Thanks once again. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: