The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 12:24:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know anything about pocket watches?  (Read 2275 times)
skinznhydez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

skinznhydez
« on: February 13, 2010, 05:28:33 am »

Hi all,
I am curious to know anything at all about this pocket watch i picked up. Unfortunately it doesn't work, i think the spring is hooped.
It appears to have a porcelain face with silver (tarnished) hands. I opened up the back, it says its Swiss Made. It also has very small engravements in on the back inner plate
L9118 (the "L" is giant compared to the "9118")

KR71940

2-47-1

56y

On the inner workings it says Swiss made
It also has
R A
S F
With a little Vine design underneath it.

The engravments are Very small and easily passed by. They dont look machined... more carved into it.
the metal appears to be steel or something... (rust in one part)

It also has a small button on the outside to set the time with... i have never seen that one before!

But besides that, i have no other info on it and would like to know a bit more about it. If anyone has any links, or clues about it i would be greatly appreciative!

"It is frequently the tragedy of the great artist, as it is of the great scientist, that he frightens the ordinary man."
http://www.facebook.com/SkinzNhydezLeather
http://skinz-n-hydez.deviantart.com/
http://www.skinznhydez.etsy.com
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:46:45 am »

I imagine this will be moved to the chronautomata sub forum above at any moment where you will no doubt recieve your answer within a matter of hours.

skinznhydez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

skinznhydez
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 05:50:18 am »

I imagine this will be moved to the chronautomata sub forum above at any moment where you will no doubt recieve your answer within a matter of hours.

Awesome thanks. I totally forgot there were other forums here.... always just linger around here Tongue
tekisui
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 05:19:32 am »

Oh I'm jealous.. That watch is perfect, as far as my tastes... So jealous Cheesy
Wish I could help you..

"If you can build it, and you can make it fly, then I, sir, can crash it most spectacularly."
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:45:40 am »

If you do a search on '"pocket watch" (double quotes mean search for both words stuck together) and some of those numbers, I'm sure something would come up in Google.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:20:17 am »

Nice watch, love the ornate hands. Now, there are an insurmountable things that would be stopping it from working. To help narrow it down, while looking at the movement, if you shake the watch clockwise/anti-clockwise a few times, does the balance wheel (the wheel with the visible spring) spin back and forth freely? Can you wind the watch? If not, are you just unable to turn the crown, or when you turn the crown, it doesn't engage anything?

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
skinznhydez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

skinznhydez
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:44:03 am »

Nice watch, love the ornate hands. Now, there are an insurmountable things that would be stopping it from working. To help narrow it down, while looking at the movement, if you shake the watch clockwise/anti-clockwise a few times, does the balance wheel (the wheel with the visible spring) spin back and forth freely? Can you wind the watch? If not, are you just unable to turn the crown, or when you turn the crown, it doesn't engage anything?

Thanks for moving it to the right forum!

Yes it spins freely and i am able to wind it, well not anymore because its at its max. But when i was able to turn it, it did engage. I am quite green at fixing watches, but want to learn. So any information will help ALOT!
Again, thanks so much for moving this post to the correct forum and any help you can give me. I know this watch isnt great quality, but i quite like it. And its in quite good shape for being this old (1900's)
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:14:29 am »

The R/S A/F are standard markings for Retard/Slow or Avance/Fast...  Basically you can adjust the timing on the watch a bit by moving the lever one way or another.

This is a Pin set pocket watch (as opposed to pendant set, lever set or key set)...  It's an older style and I'm sure when Harold turns up he can give us more of a clue as to when.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:48 am »

you give that beauty far too little credit, it's in fine shape anlooks to be wonderful. likely the first thing to suggest is getting it properly cleaned and lubricated.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:30:48 pm »

This may seem like an odd question, but have you tried (carefully) moving the circular bar in the upper side of the back.  If you look at the wheel attached to the bottom of the stem you will see that it turns a wheel which in turn turns a larger wheel.  There is a brass semi circular opening which says "Repose" next to it, and a steel circular bar which looks like the end is specially designed to fit between those two wheels and stop them from turning.  This is near where the pin is.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the intention there is to allow you to wind and set your watch and then start it at the right time.

Be very careful, don't force anything, but does that move in any way?

Z.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 04:33:34 am »

Pin setting went out of fashion in the late 1800s. Stem setting (the keyless works) was invented by Patex in 1842, but pinsetting hng on for a while. Your watch is in  the time period that runs from say 1880-1915 or so.. (give or take a few years).

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:28:32 am »

It's a "roskopf" style watch; notice how the bushings for the gears don't go anywhere near the center, and there's no bushing in the center?  The hands are driven directly off the mainspring barrel.  The designed was based on a desire to make watches that empasized economy, targeted at people who didn't necessarily care if the watch wasn't extremely accurate.  The design has been in use since the mid 19th century, and it's most recent incarnation is the Timex watches that were so popular in the 70's. 

As with most pin levers, they can be tricky to fix if they break.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: