The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 01:33:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: laptop grimoire?  (Read 1841 times)
Ananiah_Lucke
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: February 08, 2010, 10:53:11 pm »

Dr. Datamancer did something that I am interested in trying, here http://www.datamancer.net/projects/grimoire/grimoire.htm

Unfortunately, the binder idea won't work in my case because my laptop is too wide, even for extra fancy binders. I have a few notions on how I will remedy this issue, but I was just curious to see if anyone out here had done anything similar in the past, and if so, have you any advice?

Much obliged,
Ananiah Lucke,
Taylor.

You call it an alternative lifestyle; I call it life.
pixlaw
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:47:42 am »

I haven't tried it, since I don't have a laptop, but old books used to be bound with wood boards (the original hardbacks, I guess).  You could cut, finish and hinge to fit.  Or you could use leather binding.  Just mount it directly to the laptop frame and you wouldn't need a hinge, as long as the tolerances worked at the edge joins.

Just two quick thoughts. 
malgrimace
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:29:40 pm »

Rather then a binder, I'd imagine a couple of bits of wood would do the job just as nicely. I'm now looking at my laptop and getting ideas...

If you find me arrogant, brash, uncooth, egocentric, unsavory or just generally offensive - you haven't spent nearly enough time in my company!
Ananiah_Lucke
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:55:35 am »

I was thinking something along the same lines, like a thin wood, or even a good cardboard, which would be lighter, leather bound. Thank you for the suggestions, gentlemen.   Smiley I'll be sure to post something when I get some results.
malgrimace
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:58:31 am »

What about plasti-card? It's used in making model buildings and things. You can get it in various thicknesses, it's fairly cheap and easy work with too.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 08:23:43 am »

I have been thinking about doing this for my netbook for Steamcon this year. So far building a wood shell around it is a thought but it will need to have little feet or something to ensure the fans do not get blocked. Then there is the issue of my trackball, can't use a mouse due to carpal tunnel.

Ananiah_Lucke
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:37 pm »

but it will need to have little feet or something to ensure the fans do not get blocked.

Yes, the fans are another thing i have been fighting with myself about. My computer heats up just sitting on a desk. I have contemplated making openings in the bottom around the fans for ventilation, but I worry that will ruin the effect. Little feet might be an all around better plan.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:08 am »

but it will need to have little feet or something to ensure the fans do not get blocked.

Yes, the fans are another thing i have been fighting with myself about. My computer heats up just sitting on a desk. I have contemplated making openings in the bottom around the fans for ventilation, but I worry that will ruin the effect. Little feet might be an all around better plan.

Little feet, and some kind of mesh over where the fans are should do the trick.
Grimnr Veilwalker
Officer

To Protect the Light, We must use a DarkHammer!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 06:01:14 am »

I was planning on getting a pc skin for my laptop some of the site offer custom designs so I can make it look like a book and still be functional.

Grimnr Veilwalker
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 07:03:50 pm »

Now I know what to do with the Mac Powerbook I found in the thrift store for $20.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »

Now I know what to do with the Mac Powerbook I found in the thrift store for $20.

I just remembered I've got a largish sheet of rawhide I haven't used. Maybe I can make a Necronomicon case mod.
Ananiah_Lucke
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 06:39:04 pm »

I just remembered I've got a largish sheet of rawhide I haven't used. Maybe I can make a Necronomicon case mod.
If you do sir, would you mind detailing your process with maybe a few pictures? I'm interested to see how other people do it.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 07:08:35 pm »

I'm thinking laying the rawhide over some thin plywood, with some stiff foam to pad the spaces between the contoured Powerbook case and the "book cover." Might be better to find a large book to cannibalize and cover, maybe glue the pages together???
Not sure what to do with keyboard/screen area to continue the theme, wonder if I can paint/texture the keys to look like bone or ivory and then hand letter the keys in a runish/spooky-looking font.

One problem is the battery is pretty shot, and only lasts about 15 minutes so I have to keep the AC adapter jack easily accessible. So maybe I should fabric-cover the cord like an old power cord or wonder if I can make it look like something more organic like a vein or artery (umbilical?).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:13:13 pm by groomporter » Logged
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 07:30:48 pm »

I wonder if there's a USB motion detector that could be cannibalized to make the eyes of the Necronomicon glow when someone reaches for it...

Oh!!! How do you change the sound of the happy mac "bong" as it boots up. Could it be made to say "Klaatu barada nikto" as it comes on?

Have to start playing with the Mac speech generation and recognition program for commands as well.
pixlaw
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:03:15 am »

Oh!!! How do you change the sound of the happy mac "bong" as it boots up. Could it be made to say "Klaatu barada nikto" as it comes on?

if there's a way to change the bong, the folks at macmod.com would know.  They're a font of info about all things mac-modded.

***Actually, because I have too much time on my hands, I just did a google search for "change Mac startup chime"  and discovered that apparently it's impossible to change the chime  without pulling lots of chips and installing your own.  The chime is baked into Apple's chips.  The most you can do is mute the chime.  There are a couple of links in the first page of google results which will lead you to a chunk of freeware to allow you to accomplish the muting.

There IS a freeware program out there which allows you to add a sound  when you login your account on your mac http://systemsoundext.sourceforge.net/ - haven't tried it myself, but theoretically it should allow you to use any sound bite to mark your login****
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:46:05 am by pixlaw » Logged
pixlaw
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 01:06:29 am »

in re little feet, there are a bunch available at various woodworking sites  (google "box feet"), but they tend to be pricey.  One cheaper alternative are brass box corners.  You can get them pretty cheap at any decent hardware store, and they give anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" clearance off the desktop.  and if you use them on all 8 corners, they look real snazzy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: