The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 08:05:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I've got this old Ansonia clock... (repairs maybe)  (Read 956 times)
mortalsky
Swab

United States United States

« on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:00 pm »

I'll get pics up when I can, kinda time-crunched right now. Anyways, as my first ever steampunk gadgeteering project (I will most definitely try an easier one in the meantime, but I do want to  get this done at some point) I have decided to take a look at maybe trying to fix the old heirloom clock of my great grandfather's. Probably not true steam-era (I haven't perred into its inner workings too closely yet, but the instant-viewing hole in the back showed the company), but it is wood and brass. According to Wiki, it predates 1929 at the very least, and is probably older than 1880, so it could rather easily be steam era. Anyways, the clock has been stuck at 9:00 for a long time, and so I have the intention of figuring out what is wrong and taking a peek inside. We do know the pendulum wasn't swinging, but that'd be all.
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:16:10 pm »

9 eh?  Perhaps it will start back up itself when the planets align properly? 

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:16 pm »

Worth more to restore than potentially trash it by "steampunking" it, that's for sure, especially if it is an heirloom.  Far too many nice antiques have their historical value destroyed by being turned inot dubious art. Yes, I'll admit it, I'm a curmudgeon on this... Grin
Advice from a collector? Get this one properly done up. If you want to steampunk something, find something modern or less valuable to have a go at.

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: