The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 05:20:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocket watch Hand replacement  (Read 5267 times)
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« on: February 03, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »

Hello on and all

I would like some advice on replacing damaged hands on my recently purchased Swiss made H. Samuel pocket watch. (the watch has Acme Lever on the face)
The watch is running fine, but the hour hand has been snapped off by a previous owner ( I bought this watch off EBay) I would like to replace the broken hand, but I would like some advice on how best to do this.
Can anyone give me some advice please.

Many thanks

Grum.

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

Well,  the hardest part will be sourcing replacement hands, Problem is that there is no one standard size for the hole in the hand  that fits over the cannon pinion, and the size used  by some of the less well known watch companies can be hard to find.  A watchmaker should be able to measure the hole. With luck, there will be a hand of the correct length with a smaller hole size available, that can be broached to fit.
  Other than that, the main requirements are hand removing and setting tools (designed not to scratch the dial surface), although you can, with care use #3 tweezers, and some thin paper.

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »

Many thanks for the reply Harold I will see if I can get the cannon pinion measured so I can try to source the correct size of minute hand. I think it may be wise to try to purchase the correct tool for the job as i'm sure (with my luck) that I will snap something when trying to use tweezers Huh Once I have done that I will have to check out ebay to see if I can get some hands Smiley

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:53 pm »

That's a good call...

As an example of tools, Ofrei lists a variety. You can get them cheaper, though..

http://www.ofrei.com/page_209.html

Cheers
Harold
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:51:03 pm »

That's a good call...

As an example of tools, Ofrei lists a variety. You can get them cheaper, though..

http://www.ofrei.com/page_209.html

Cheers
Harold

There are some great tools in there (some of them I have no idea what they do but they look impressive Wink ) I'll see it I can get something similar, as I will hopefully only doing this repair once. Again thanks for the info.

Many thanks

Grum
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 08:59:01 am »

Sorry to come so late to this thread; I've ony just noticed it.

I can recommend F. Meeks & Co of Birmingham for replacement hands (and just about anything else horological. A very, very traditional clock and watch repairer. If you provide them with full details of your timepiece there is a good chance they will have a direct replacement in stock.

F Meeks & Co
197 Warstone Lane
Birmingham
B18 6JR

0121 2369058

I love visiting Meeks, it's like moving 100 years back in time. And if there's the slightest suspiscion that you want watch or clock parts for anything other than repair they, very politely but definitely, "do not have what you want in stock at the moment sir".

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 11:44:35 am »

Thank you for the information Captain Bellinger, sorry its been a while since I looked up this thread my self.. I will keep the address on record.

A quick update on the hand replacement. I made a temporary hand for my watch which worked quite well, but I was very lucky when I went to a local antiques fair and spoke to a watch dealer. He too my watch and replaced the hand with a lovely gold one for £5.00! result Smiley

The only problem I have now is that the watch appears to have difficulty in winding. It now appears to run for about three hours and then stop. I have just taken the rear cover off and everything appears to be fine. The balance wheel seems free and the watch runs well when its on its face, but (there always has to be a but!) as soon as you move the watch theough 90 degrees you can see the balance wheel slow down until it stops... Grrrr  Does anyody have any pointers to what might be the problem?

*Edit* After looking at the watch closely I have seen that the problem is not with the watch but with the key. It appears to be very loose fitting and when I try to wind the watch the key is slipping (just like a badly fitting allen key). After a quick "mod" with my long nosed pliers it apears to be winding now Smiley (Phew!)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:44:12 pm by Grumfoss » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: