The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:56:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to make a steampunk b*i*k*e  (Read 5633 times)
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:56 am »

looking good! the black wheels look very beefy, better than the white ones.

either cover looks good to me, corroded or not. a suitcase would look good, with the stickers. you could google images to print out, you can even antique them before printing.

I would hazard to guess that if you request a little help with the stickers, you would get inundated with artwork from the inmates here Grin

you could do two small trunks on either side of the rear rack, with a bedroll on the top.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 02:49:12 am »

Keeping the world traveler theme in mind, together with the tubular construction of the frame, have you looked at the badges people use on walking sticks and hiking canes?
http://collectables.shop.ebay.co.uk/Badges-Patches-/32615/i.html?_nkw=walking+stick&_pcats=1

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__walking+stick+badge_W0QQ_dmdZ2?rvr_id=&crlp=622175620_228459_228460&UA=M*F%3F&GUID=5076326c1240a0e201f62b16feee1864&agid=372048820&MT_ID=11&keyword=walking+stick+badge&ff4=228459_228460

I like the look of the black wheels better than the white ones.

With the variation in the patina of the back/front wheels, the back wheel looks newer as if it's from the factory, the front wheel has ome wear to it as you have already done a few miles through rough terrain - if you go for this you might want to age the paint job on the forks and lower frame/high impact points to match.

I know alot of people like the worn in look but I think that there aren't enough items "Shiny as new" - they all must have come straight off the production line/workbench at sometime and would have looked spanking new (think of Mister Shopkeeper trying to sell you a bike - I have this new shiny pretty painted bike, or this one exactly the same with the paint peeling off and the metal slightly corroded - which would you want to buy)

Visit my Facebook page Jason's Gems Jewellery at jasonsgemsjewellery
or my website Jason's Gems
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 03:24:51 am »

the black tires with green is the way i am going to go. then i will run them through the mud. i will darken the lower rack mounts also.

as for the rear case i got the idea from this case,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220556854106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

this one is about the same size as the metal bed i was using, 24 inches long. my rack is 12x9. i am looking at several different things, but all luggage. as for stickers, it didnt take me but 2 seconds to find a site that sold vintage travel stickers $3-12. per sheet. i am going to the arts and crafts store tomorrow first to see whats local. i like that case but 125. is more than i want to spend. that case is perfect though, but i think a shorter one would look better.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 09:12:05 am »

if you have a hobby lobby craft store nearby, you should go check out all the boxes and such they sell. they look pretty good for the price. they have ones that look very much like suitcases. I got this box for under 20 bucks. it's halfway between a hatbox and binoculars case in size.
all I did was add a shoulder strap. the rest of it is exactly how it looked on the shelf.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 05:07:00 pm »

there is nothing like going to the hardware store and talking to the guy with the handle bar mustache. then he tells you no, go here to the antique hardware store you didnt even know existed the next town over Shocked
i didnt got yet, but i will soon.

today i got 4 brass wing nuts for the fairing and stick on door guards for the edge.  all for less than $10. pics later.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »

i just got a real old travel trunk. 18x10 black with travel stickers on the outside and metal fixtures for $10. it's perfect if not too aged, but some new travel stickers should freshen it up.

If you guys have any favorite places or sticker ideas post them here and i will make a sticker out of them and put them on the bike. I am going to try to find a Brass Goggles logo.

I am also looking for freight tag ideas and registration stickers. stuff that can go on the front of the fairing.

We are going to have the winning bike in each class go up for vote against the others. We also got two new folding bike entries from the UK out of now where today. We are up to 6 bikes in that class. I got to get to work.
theDapperDocent
Snr. Officer

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 05:38:00 pm »

If you're still looking for travel labels for the trunk..

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20759.msg473827.html#msg473827

Utini posted that in a "Luggage and Storage" thread a while back.   I knew I'd remembered seeing one somewhere.

Hope that helps and good luck!

"Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases: One, it's completely impossible. Two, it's possible, but it's not worth doing. Three, I said it was a good idea all along." - Arthur C. Clarke
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »

oh my god i cant thank you enough. that is the mother load! it has everything. thank you so much. this should put me over the top.
theDapperDocent
Snr. Officer

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »

You are very welcome but don't thank me, thank Utini.  He's the one who compiled all those and zipped them for the rest of us.    Grin
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 11:17:04 pm »

done. and so are the wheels. i will get a pic up tonight.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »

ok here are some things i have finished. the wheels are done.

i am going to fill up the inside with the travel stickers.

next i have to make the mount for the lantern. i will be just like a normal one, but stronger. it will attach under the headset nut and come up under the stem. the light will sit right between the fairing and the stem.

i got leather mud flaps that my father in law made me. i will get them on sat. i have brass rivets for them.

it's coming together. it looks like i will need every day.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:22:29 pm by imhardkore » Logged
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »

so busy working i didnt see the post man came.

not bad for $10. it's a good base. a little larger than i thought, but you got to have stuff while traveling the galaxy.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:22:56 pm by imhardkore » Logged
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 04:34:14 pm »

sorry i couldnt get on for a couple of days. here is what i got done yesterday,
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 12:02:37 am »

it felt like arts and crafts day today.

i got the back of the fairing done. i also added some to the trunk.

i will have more pics on my blog. i used every trick in the book. thanks to all. this detail will put the build over the top for sure. i will be bringing this to the steampunk worlds fair in Piscataway NJ my former stomping grounds only 30 minutes away from my house.

as always more and super size ones on my blog.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:23:07 pm by imhardkore » Logged
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:35 am »

looking very good, love the sprockets!

can't wait to see the final product.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:32 pm »

almost done. what else can you do to a kick stand?

how about some mud flaps,

i got grips coming this week and a mount for the light being welded up as we speak. i will also have it at the worlds fair in piscataway if anyone wants to see it in person.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 07:24:48 pm »

sorry had to delete pics i have been had. someone posted up a link to this site. not to my thread though but it was only a matter of time before my pics were found. with 28 days to go i cant let it out yet.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 09:02:25 pm »

15 days left and still plugging away.

the cranks are complete and installed. pedals will be here this week.

brooks grips are just awesome.

i even have a nice video to the Abney park tune airship pirates.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 07:07:05 am »

on the kickstand....

my mom had an old cane that she inherited from her grampa. he made it himself and on the tip of the cane was an old shell casing from a colt .45 in nickel finish. it was fairly skittish on hard surfaces but the idea was it added a bit of flash cheaply and would protect the end of the wood from wear and tear.

perhaps if you could find a nice big rifle casing in brass, possibly with a rimmed style, you could saw off the bottleneck part and slide the remainder over the tip of the stand. I would think some silicone caulk down inside it or some epoxy would hold it in place. a shotgun shell would look spiffy too, if it was of the older paper hull type, you would need to varnish the hull inside and out to make sure it didn't rot from the elements. a used shell has the tip unfolded out but you could tuck inside itself to slide over the stand. again, a generous amount of caulk or epoxy would hold it, I would think.

hmm, how about bmx axle footpegs made form old small artillery casings? I see mockup trainer shells for sale from time to time, with wooden bullets in them. I'm babbling again!
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 01:47:04 pm »

since i reload my own ammo i have tons of brass. great idea.

i have acquired these. they are quite rare so i am not going to do anything to them.

the emerald green matches the green patina on the chain guard and fenders. the perfect pedal, what a score.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 12:53:26 am »

it's done and there are two videos here on my youtube page, http://www.youtube.com/user/undergroundvelo
i will have pics from the video on my blog soon in super size. they are great, the video dosent do them justice.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:10:49 am by imhardkore » Logged
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 07:23:46 am »

nice!

the wheels look great, sort of like the front wheel from the german half track motorcyle tractor from WW2, the kettenkrad.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 02:12:45 am »

i also will be getting my 15 minutes of fame at the steampunk worlds fair in piscataway on sunday so stop by and see me and my ride there.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 12:06:57 am »

we now have a voting poll up and if you can believe it it's close. i cant believe that it's so close and my competition has put in so little effort.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=24852
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 06:22:13 am »

I can't believe anyone would vote that bike over yours, they hardly did anything to it. a weekends worth of painting and parts bashing.

LAME
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: