The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:42:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to make a steampunk b*i*k*e  (Read 5703 times)
imhardkore
Gunner
United States United States

« on: February 02, 2010, 03:48:46 am »

Hello fello steampunks. I am new here but have been emerging myself into the culture for sometime now. Here is my first project. I am not new to building b*i*k*e*s but this is my first steampunk inspired one. It's going to be a combination of a classic model A Ford pick up, but steampunked. I would love to hear feedback. Also follow my blog for some cool b*i*k*e stuff and the complete history of my build. http://undergroundvelo.blogspot.com/
Here is what i started with. oh and please dont use the term b*i*k*e or B*i*c*y*c*l*e because i dont want it to be google searchable so my competition will not be able to follow what i am doing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 04:13:04 am by imhardkore » Logged

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:25:11 am »

I am confused.. you delete your post, and hide the topic in order to safeguard your project.. but then you leave the link to your blog which features a ton of detailed photographs.. Huh

Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:57:53 pm »

One thing which confuses me is why you've replaced the spoked wheel with much more modern looking ones.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 01:42:27 pm »

what pics i have posted on my blog are fine. i post things on my blog to save the band width space of the forums i belong to, and the site who is sponsoring the build off.  according to build off rules a time line of photos is required.

onto the wheels. every wheel i saw resembled a wagon wheel so i went with one the also resembled one. now i am going in this direction.

a solid disc front and rear. this is only the first coat of hammered copper for texture. any suggestions for the next layers. i was going to finish it like the fenders.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:51:29 pm by imhardkore » Logged
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 04:36:11 pm »

i am going to put these on the spoked wheels. first i am going to paint the rims black. i want a look like they are dirty from being used so i am going to paint them a light coat of textured black from the outside while slowly spinning the wheel. the color i am after is like the guy in my avatar.

i also picked up a copper acid washed garbage can that will act as a vespa type of faring for the front end and replace the cow catcher and boiler which was a decoy from the start. i will get a pic later. it will take up the large space between the front rack and top of the stem. it will rest on the top of the front of the front rack and attach to the handle bars. it will be able to move  with the bars. in front of it will be the lantern.

i am going to need info on cool looking rivets. i have a gun to do regular ones, but i need to do period specific ones. any links or ideas?
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:30:54 am »

looking good so far. as far as the tarnish on the covers, consider what happens to something sitting on the side of the shed too long. rain tends to run down and tarnish specific areas more than others. you may have a dark stain trailing from the axle down to the bottom of the rim any lip that might hold moisture or at least slow it down, would get an elipse stain, even pitting. to be subtler, maybe just a darker band of the rootbeer color from the axle, outwards. then when you do the green patina, you actually would go lighter on that stripe, since water would tend to break down that heavy green oxidation. maybe even an even darker brown with a bit of actual rust from a steel axle bleeding down the copper. it really depends how abused and rustic you want. the cowling sounds neat! its a bit late now but if there was an actual dent in the hubcap, you could mask the very inner crease so that it would be shiney, like something recently gouged the metal and scraped a bit of the old tarnish away.

as far as the rivets, if the inside is going to be unseen, just glue brass upholstery tacks over the outside head of the rivet. you might even be able to tap out the rivet stem ball and leave the nail on the tack. on the tacks seen on both sides, just try to use short rivets and glue a tack to both sides. worst you can do is grind off extra rivet material from the inside so the tack body sits flush.

on minibikes we had shoe brakes that rubber the tire tread to stop, usually just a metal plate levered by foot or a basic potmetal shoe. I did see a bike with a similar shoe brake, it was a shaped block of hardwood on a sort of shaft in a stout pipe affair. I didn't get a good look to see how they kept it from spinning or how the cable activated it. it might have been a double pull front break handle that pivoted at the handlebar goosneck and pushed down on a solid rod to the break shoe rod.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:34:04 pm »

thanks, i am cautiously approaching the next step with the wheel discs. I think i will spray on some light root beer. then hand apply some antique black and patina after i do some research on aging trains and tanks.

Today i will cut the fairing and i will take a picture. the bonus is i will have another half to use for other as plates for other parts.

for rivets i have found ornate carpet tacks. i will post a pic later also.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:30:01 pm »

you know i didnt even think of the discs as hub caps even though they are. i am going to do the rims in a flat antique black as if they were forged iron.  copper hub caps with copper fenders, fairing and chain guard does not seem too far fetched.

i have to decide real quick if i am going to stay with the white tires, because taking the tires off of a painted rim dings it.

there is a thing you can do with hair spray. i saw it in a military modeling magazine. you would spray it on after the base color then apply a light coat of the next weathering color.  after it dries the hair spray can be removed with a little water.

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:42:39 am »

rustoleum makes a textured black spray, you can spray that down then before it begins to dry, you daub it with a rag to ruin the finish. and I do mean ruin, if big scabs stick to the rag and come up completely, don't worry. after that dries, another coat of textured to get everything grainy again. spray your flat black and then dry brush a little steel color onto the irregular surface to highlight the mess. it will look very much like irregular cast metal. you can seal it afterwards with clear coat

practice it first, the whole effect doesn't show up until the final touches. better to get a feel for the final product.

I made little cannon balls by loading on tons of primer onto a wooden ball and rolling it in a mound of graphite powder and patting it with a rag.very similar effect, but you would need a BUNCH of graphite and it wouldn't hold up on a bike for long. plus when you try to seal the graphite, the sheen goes dull completely.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:08:15 pm »

yes i have the textured black and antique black to dab onto it.

here is a pic i took of me working.

i took the pic because others have commented how my competitors have not even posted any build pics. i am cutting a garbage can into a front fairing. how does it look.

i now have the other half to use as i wish. i even entertained the idea of going back and getting another. it was only $20. i would have 6 sheets to use as i wish. i could do a lot with it. ideas?
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:46 pm »

also got in a repro dietz lantern.

i think it should go flush with the top of the fairing. or it can go up front on the front rack, anyone?
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:54 am »

seems to me the light should go on the fairing. you used the can so its square to the frame, what if you used only two sides of the can so its like tha bow of a ship? each side at a 45 angle to the frame?

love the lamp, looks like a good home for some LEDs.

how about some thick leather mudflaps for the back edge of the fenders?

do you have another rear fender like the first? maybe a full fender on the front tire with a name plate jutting up from it, like the old front license plates on motorcycles.

the front rack does less and less for me, maybe if you had a mini steamer trunk bolted to it or some sort of hard case. even a sturdy basket, wicker or metal. I've never been a fan of those damn spring loaded clamp arms on those things. you just end up tying whatever you got on top of the thing, so the arm won't squirt it out while you're pedalling along.

oh, and impressive chin merkin ya got there, be careful around that grinder! don't know which is worse, catching it on fire or tangling it in the grinder. Wink
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:12:39 am by Otto Von Pifka » Logged
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:02:11 pm »

yes i cut the can like a bow. i am mounting the lantern just above the top off of the stem. it will take up the gap between the bars and the tip of the fairing. i have 3 plasma light discs that are going inside of the light.

i think i am going to get rid of the front rack to clean up the look of the front end. i did toy with the trunk idea we will see what i can score for cheap. i was looking into matching steamers for the front and rear.

my merkin almost caught a spark and ruined 6 months of work. it's called the chilly cheeks.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 05:30:48 am »

hobby lobby stores carry all kinds of little trunks and suitcase type boxes, pretty cheap and already steamy.
does the fairing pivot with the fork or is it stationary? hard to tell from the pics. its a neat looking light, I would be tempted to mount it to the front of the fairing itself, so the top is just above the lip, with the actual lenses at or below the lip.

removing the rack frees up the top of the fender for embellishments. know anyone with a plasma cutter? you could do a pair of kdney shaped nameplates and add them back to back as a fin on the fender a piece of white plastic sandwitched between them will highlight the letters from each side. an old brass door kick would be good to cut them from, won't get bent easily.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 03:28:24 am »

i have been studying scooter pictures. the light on top is the way to go. i have also been looking into trunks and saddle bags. there is a vintage/antique gun and gear show coming up on the 13/14th of this month. i should be able to find all sorts of cool things there.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 04:58:44 am »

i made the chain guard a little longer out of some of the extra can pieces.

what do you think about out lining it in rivets. will it be too much.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 08:58:20 am »

it might be a bit much, but the contrast of brass tack heads might be nice.

otherwise maybe a strip of brass under the copper so that a stripe of brass is visible between the edge of the copper and the steel guard.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 03:16:46 am »

i think i am about to nail it. the rear tire is staying and the front will get a black one also. the rim got some black hammered paint as a base. then hand dabbed antique black on it. the disc got a coat of root beer over the hammered copper. i put a little extra by the holes and edges. i think i will need some hand work next.

i really like the way it looks without the bed also. i am going to try to shorten it up like suggested by moving up the bed.

suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:21:43 pm by imhardkore » Logged
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 10:22:57 pm »

ok i am back. i did the front wheel and decided to take it up one notch. i added a little black around the edges which looks good and added a little patina which i am not sure about.

what do you think. i used only one disc in the front that i didnt like the finish on anyway. i have to repaint the chain guard also. whats working and whats not. i like the rear wheel alot and i love the front fairing. i almost think i should repaint the fenders and eliminate the green patina or reduce it to a bare minimum.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:21:59 pm by imhardkore » Logged
E. T. Jonasson
Officer
Sweden Sweden

Student of the Electro-Mechanical Arts

ETjonasson
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 12:08:57 am »

It's looking very good! I very much like the way you've treated the wheels and the chain cover. The colour scheme is just right in my opinion, I really like the patina.
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 01:12:35 am »

Sir,

I really like the look of those wheel, reminding me of the aerodynamic wheels used on high performance Olympic bicycles. 

Will you, by chance, be looking to set a Velocipede speed record?  If this is the case I would recomend wearing a Bowler hat rather than a top hat as it will be more streamlined.  And possible plus fours in tweed.

I can understand your weariness to publish and have your Ideas stolen, especially after the events which Her Doctor has gone through recently.

Visit my Facebook page Jason's Gems Jewellery at jasonsgemsjewellery
or my website Jason's Gems
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 03:12:23 am »

thank you for your understanding.

what is your fancy, the front or the rear.

mind you as soon as the snow melts i am going to run them through the mud for some real antiquing. i feel that the rear would be great if it wasnt used. this is going to be a world traveler. i am working on a trunk or suitcase with stickers from around the world for the rear.

i am also going to set up my lantern this week with the plasma discs then mount the fairing. i have 6 weeks to go.
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 06:05:58 pm »

any ideas on what to do with the sharp edge of the fairing. i am thinking of some type of leather like people do with goggles.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 08:57:00 pm »

any ideas on what to do with the sharp edge of the fairing. i am thinking of some type of leather like people do with goggles.

Most car-part stores sell rubber trim that wraps around the edges, you could use that Smiley
imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »

i was thinking about leather, but i may not have time. i will stop by the auto parts store tomorrow and see if they have any brown colored stuff.

i worked on the mounting brackets for the fairing. there will be 4 mounting points, all wing nuts keeping with the theme. i should have pics tomorrow.

the weight of the lantern is presenting a problem with mounting. i have to get the fairing settled first.

i am thinking about ditching the bed for a suitcase to keep with the world traveler theme. what do you think of location stickers on the fairing. kind of like where you visited.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: