The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 06:53:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why no medieval steam punk?  (Read 20900 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2014, 07:14:02 pm »

Like this ?:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2014, 02:02:30 am »

More clockpunky stuff:

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
selectedgrub
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2014, 08:44:55 am »

If that "Model's" name wasn't Fabian it would be Surge or Rod.
Because he looks wind swept and interesting and his Blue Steel look is cutting edge.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »

If that "Model's" name wasn't Fabian it would be Surge or Rod.
Because he looks wind swept and interesting and his Blue Steel look is cutting edge.

Do you think they had denier dreadfuls and Pillage & Boom romances back then ?
selectedgrub
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2014, 06:58:23 pm »

Fabian seems to think so.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »

I take it I wasn't the only one who felt like slapping that guy in the middle.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2014, 08:28:58 pm »

I take it I wasn't the only one who felt like slapping that guy in the middle.

I didn't get an urge to slap him

But I do want to knee him in the groin
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2014, 12:22:09 am »

If anyone slaps him unconscious, I got dibs on his armor thing.

...it's kinda sad, he obviously just wants to know ALL about luv....  Roll Eyes
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2014, 09:01:52 pm »

16th century book who can be read in 6 different ways:
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/01/this-16th-century-book-can-be-read-six-different-ways/
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2017, 01:33:39 pm »

I'm just going to necromance this for the hell of it.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »

How about this?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:33:30 pm by von Corax » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2017, 11:21:19 pm »

Nice! Just my kind of crusader!
selectedgrub
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2017, 07:38:38 am »

A couple of weapons I made:
http://selectedgrub.blogspot.co.nz/2014/01/blog-post_31.html
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2017, 12:00:26 pm »

haven't a clue. I just know I saw the books a few years ago (actually I think it was before I came to this forum, which I think was at least 6 years ago) and wished I'd grabbed it then. They had something called a Steamjack which I think was sort of an mechanised steam powered golem that's magically self aware. Although Eberron is a D&D setting that suits me a bit better these days.

The Steamjack is a steam automaton. Iron Kingdoms is the role-playing level of Warmachine/Hordes, and yes, there is a computer incarnation, as well as a new RPG system.

I really don't think it's very mediaeval, though.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:44 pm »

Word.

I've caught myself in an argumentative mood, and re-reading the Punkette's "Introduction to Clockpunk" page a couple of times...the more I read it, the less I like it.  It reads more like a Manifesto than an Introduction.  And I actually dig the Punkettes, but their language...why present their personal approach to Clockpunk in terms like "must be..." "rule # 3" and other absolutes?

That's kind of anti-Steampunk in terms of ethos, and therefore anti-Clockpunk as well, I reckon.

Warmachine's Convergence of Cyriss faction consider such mathematical perfection not only a means of perfecting their Vectors (clockwork automata), but a way of life, and a level of worship of their goddess.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2017, 12:28:10 pm »

Yes, "Steampunk" is "Historical Speculative Fiction," but "Historical Speculative Fiction" is not necessarily Steampunk. Without a Victorian component, then it's not "Steampunk." IMHO.

~T

Did you tell China Mieville that? His Bas-Lag trilogy is on another planet entirely.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2017, 12:46:15 pm »

I hope I didn't come across as saying that "medieval steampunk" was impossible or undesirable, merely that it would be difficult as there isn't any immediately obvious point of divergence (like the Babbage Engine) and that a lot of the trappings don't translate easily. Or perhaps I'm merely citing the limitations of my own imagination here.

In Iron Winter, volume 3 of the Northlands trilogy, Stephen Baxter not only has the Wall as the point of divergence (seen in its infancy in Stone Summer) but has allowed Greek scholars to settle in his changed land bridge between the British Isles and the Continent, extrapolating from the Antikythera Mechanism to the point where the Wall is Great Wall-sized, defended by guns and topped by a railway with steam traction, and has life support systems inside driven by huge steam engines. These are already old when the book opens. In the 14th century, though it's a bit hard to tell, given the anachronism stew he's made of it (there's still a Carthage, for one thing).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The chapter in the back where this is explained can be quite interesting...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2017, 07:59:59 pm »

I had not heard of that book, I shall have to look it up. Stephen Baxter doesn't get enough love on these forums.
Anita Reyes
Deck Hand
Mexico Mexico

« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2017, 04:34:52 am »

I think that medievalpunk might be something like The Dark Crystal directly from the imagination of Jim Henson the one and only father of fantasy movies with puppets <3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b3TARP4bF80

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVFaTJYZfzQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8w7zFfMr_Dc

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:44:40 am by Anita Reyes » Logged

"Guerra guerra en el monte en el valle, los cañones horrisonos truenen y sus ecos sonoros resuenen con las voces de unión, libertad!"
Wolfgang Edwards
Deck Hand

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2017, 02:56:55 am »

I was listening to the audio book of Isaac Asimov's "The Greeks" a while back and he mentioned some primitive Steam-powered technology was invented during the days of the Greek city-states and the Roman Empire, long before Medieval times.
Here is an example of one basic steam-powered contraption invented in the 1st century AD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolipile

I think it's fair to say that although Steampunk typically alludes to the 19th century, most particularly Victorian England, it's neither irrational or unpleasant if artists and creators want to imagine an alternate history in which Steam technology took off and transformed the world in the midst of any era of history dating back as far as when the power of steam could conceivably be harnessed. It only takes a little imagination to dream of a Steampunk Trojan War, a Steampunk Roman Empire, or a Steampunk Viking expansion. Smiley

-Wolfgang
http://theuniversityofcande.blogspot.com/

If you like Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror or Steampunk, check out 'The University of Corporeal & Ethereal Studies'
https://store.bookbaby.com/book/The-University-of-Corporeal-and-Ethereal-Studies
MoonlitRain
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2017, 08:57:50 pm »

I'd say that in some respects Leonardo Da Vinci could be considered clockpunk or even steampunk since I think he did draw some concepts of steam-powered machines (although I wouldn't be willing to be quoted on that fact!). He was a person who wanted to push science to the edge of what was possible at the time in which he lived.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2017, 12:12:36 am »

Guild Ball is listed as fantasy mediaeval football.
http://steamforged.com/guildball
But the Alchemists Guild is equipped with, effectively, a Juicer character, and the Engineers Guild have automata.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: