The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 10:19:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why no medieval steam punk?  (Read 20884 times)
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2014, 06:35:46 pm »

Not quite steampunk, but I am planning a gas-lamp fantasy set in 1589 - and yes, I know its a few centuries too late for the medieval period.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2014, 09:24:55 pm »

I think i find a nice introduction for that for the coglings in your life:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r53LdGcDT1Y

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Steaming Pistons
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

letsrockltd
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2014, 03:44:18 am »

Has anybody mentioned The Warlord of the Air by Michael Moorcock yet? That's got trace elements of medieval steampunk in it, written well before steampunk actually became steampunk. A jolly ripping read, too!

Find the chuffing marvellous steampunk ebook compendium Steam Rising here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/452350 Coming soon in paperback!

The alternative zombie Sherlock Holmes tale on the trail of a psychotic cipher of Jack the Ripper known as Rick the Japer is also available in ebook form here: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/442747

See our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/steamingpistons
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2014, 02:32:53 am »

Superheroes and supervillains reimagined as 16th century aristocrats :
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/superheros_and_supervillains_as_16th_century_aristocrats
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2014, 07:34:47 am »

Perhaps not mediaeval, but we could have Renaissance Steampunk Star Wars characters...

https://www.yahoo.com/style/catwoman-princess-leia-and-more-c1416511739690/photo-catwoman-photo-1416511615331.html

Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2014, 02:37:10 am »

Mostly just bumping for updates, but a couple of things:

Though it's been mentioned, it oughta be re-mentioned for newer folks who are posting without reading the whole thread (and that's ok, there are 5 pages): there is a term used for Steampunky stuff with a Renaissance flair rather than a Victorian flare, the term is Clockpunk.  I LOVE Clockpunk...

Is anyone familiar with the video game Fable 3?  That's arguably Clockpunk...pseudo-Renaissance but with goggles and gears and what-have-you, with even a little Punk aesthetic thrown in.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2014, 05:59:59 pm »

Yay clockpunk Smiley Seems a bit like the back to nature/sustainability movements people are up & running with now could meld easily with clock punk... creativity welcomed.
Wear your greys blacks and whites, and eat your oranges! (ya scurvy lads)

http://www.thepunkettes.com/p/introduction-to-clockpunk.html

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2014, 07:04:43 pm »

Ah, I also love me some clockpunk, in terms of era preference I jitter between it, the Great War (WW1) and the period around the previous Great War - The Napoleonic era (which handily straddles the time period between Clockpunk and Steampunk)

I don't see why that blog insists on a monochromatic colour scheme for clockpunk though, seems a missed opportunity to indulge in some truly grand colour fun!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2014, 10:47:53 pm »

Yesterday I was watching Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. I would not call it steampunk, but like other recent movies they do have some anachronistic gadgets. I'd assume that was closer to the 18th century though.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:40 pm »

Ah, I also love me some clockpunk, in terms of era preference I jitter between it, the Great War (WW1) and the period around the previous Great War - The Napoleonic era (which handily straddles the time period between Clockpunk and Steampunk)

I don't see why that blog insists on a monochromatic colour scheme for clockpunk though, seems a missed opportunity to indulge in some truly grand colour fun!

I agree...although the Punkettes' page presents good arguments as to why their interpretation of Clockpunk fashion could be valid, it certainly isn't the only argument.  If Clockpunk is defined as Renaissance-esque Steampunk, then fashion inspiration would include styles as early as the 15th century, rather than the late-18th century premise set forth by the Punkettes' page.

I find their stance kind of confusing...though they claim that Leonardo is a paragon of Clockpunk mentality (15th century) they state flatly that "Clockpunk fashion is based off the late 1700's"...this leaves me with a pretty big question mark floating above my head...I suppose Mentality and Fashion don't inherently have to be chronologically cohesive when applied to imaginary speculative fiction and subculture, but it seems that's a challenging argument to hope holds water...  Huh
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2014, 10:10:45 pm »

Posts like that makes me glad I'm not a non-conformist, there's so many rules I would have to follow.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2014, 01:48:13 am »

Word.

I've caught myself in an argumentative mood, and re-reading the Punkette's "Introduction to Clockpunk" page a couple of times...the more I read it, the less I like it.  It reads more like a Manifesto than an Introduction.  And I actually dig the Punkettes, but their language...why present their personal approach to Clockpunk in terms like "must be..." "rule # 3" and other absolutes?

That's kind of anti-Steampunk in terms of ethos, and therefore anti-Clockpunk as well, I reckon.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2014, 02:03:39 am »

A clockwork only runs properly if all the pieces align and perform their expected functions.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2014, 02:35:08 am »

Well, that's true mechanically, so I'll concede.   Smiley
But also, to the devil with that!  I want Clockpunk armor and langenschwerts and tricorn hats and colors and all that. Tongue

So I did some image searching, and there's a dearth of Renaissance-era Clockpunky images...I found this:

But there are plenty of "Golden Age of Piracy" Clockpunks...

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2014, 02:40:51 am »

The Hans Christian Andersen story The Nightingale revolves around a mechanical bird.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2014, 02:48:20 am »

There's of course also The Girl in the Fireplace.

Personally I'd rather see people dressed as new romantics than going all monochrome.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2014, 02:50:41 am »

Agreed.

http://www.valentinatanni.com/public/2011/04/ant1.jpg

Smiley
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2014, 02:53:11 am »

Awesome. Love the pictures. Makes so much more sense.

The article definitely struck me as confusing (and contradictory, as has been mentioned). *shrugs* It was the prominent article which appeared when I googled clockpunk (trusting in the excellent aesthetic taste of those who seem to like it).

Greyscale would feel kind of confining... though sometimes boundaries prove fantastic inspiration to grow past them into brilliant works of art.

~*Rose
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2014, 03:01:28 am »

Also, though I've yet to watch the show, BBC is doing a Three Musketeers series, and it looks promising in terms of Clockpunk fashion inspiration...

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2014, 03:05:09 am »

Wrong century though. They were right that clockwork and automatons is more of a 1700s thing.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2014, 03:19:33 am »

That seems to be what we're sussing out...1700's might be the clockwork era, but Clockpunk holds Leonardo in the same light that Steampunk holds Verne...to the degree that you can hardly find a Clockpunk page/blog/whatever that doesn't mention him as a personage of primary significance.  So the 'clockwork era' doesn't sum up the imagined era of "Clockpunk".  Clockpunk has to at least begin with Leonardo in the Renaissance in the 15th c. and run from there towards the Victorian era.

But reading my own words makes the whole thing seem silly...I suppose Clockpunk is some imaginary prequel-offshoot of Steampunk, it seems more a catch-all for "pre-industrial Steampunk".
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2014, 03:21:00 am »

I might just be biased though, I quite like the clothing of the 1700s. The scientific aspect might well be dominated by Lamarck, though his ideas were published kind of late. Also some of the more exotic ideas of Linneaus, such as his Homo Nocturnus. Communication perhaps done with big semaphore towers, but mechanically controlled.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2014, 03:27:16 am »

Travel could be done in hot air balloons powered by pure phlogiston.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Chicar556
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2014, 04:21:55 pm »

Steam King:
http://jayisgames.com/games/steam-king/
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2014, 08:54:02 am »

A side-step to the medieval steampunk of science-based technology might be replacing such developments with sorcery-based 'industrialization'.

Simply said as captured-contained Elementals being the source of power in various mechanical applications, by harvesting such from the different planes of origin, applications of heat, cold, electricity, wind and water power would be an endless resource readily replenished.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: